5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally found out why my JIC's were making noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 11:35 AM

Finally found out why my JIC's were making noise

I spent an entire day gutting out the rear of my car. I finally noticed that the right rear strut was moving everytime that I hit a bump. Each movement was associated with the noise that I had been hearing. So I called JIC and they told me to tighten the nut at the top of the strut down with an impact gun. I did this and it didn't work. So they told me to pull them off and ship them back. Apparently it was something that was not done correctly during the assembly of the coilover. I pulled the rears today and put the stocks back on. I was just curious if this has happened to anybody else, and how long does it take to get them back because I can't wait to enjoy the JIC ride with no noise, that sh*t about drove me crazy.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:46 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Finally found out why my JIC's were making noise

Originally posted by Bulldawg
I spent an entire day gutting out the rear of my car. I finally noticed that the right rear strut was moving everytime that I hit a bump. Each movement was associated with the noise that I had been hearing. So I called JIC and they told me to tighten the nut at the top of the strut down with an impact gun. I did this and it didn't work. So they told me to pull them off and ship them back. Apparently it was something that was not done correctly during the assembly of the coilover. I pulled the rears today and put the stocks back on. I was just curious if this has happened to anybody else, and how long does it take to get them back because I can't wait to enjoy the JIC ride with no noise, that sh*t about drove me crazy.
did you get them back yet?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: Finally found out why my JIC's were making noise

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

did you get them back yet?
Nope not yet....still waiting
Old 03-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Did you check the dampening/rebound before putting it/them on? JIC shipped out a bad strut to Turbo95Max... a rear strut didn't rebound.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Did you check the dampening/rebound before putting it/them on? JIC shipped out a bad strut to Turbo95Max... a rear strut didn't rebound.
How hard was the install?

Any problems?
Old 03-05-2003, 05:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Finally found out why my JIC's were making noise

Nope not yet....still waiting
It's been almost a month and your still waiting? I would be
Old 03-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by IceY2K1

How hard was the install?

Any problems?
Easy.

No.

But that's all relative.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:28 AM

Easy.

No.

But that's all relative.
Yes the install was easy, and NO I didn't check the rebound. The car rode and handled fine, it just seemed like the pillow ball was moving around in the housing. And it was making all sorts of damn noise. My car looks goofy as hell, the front has about 1" wheel gap and the rear is like 2.5"-3"
Old 03-05-2003, 08:51 AM

My car looks goofy as hell, the front has about 1" wheel gap and the rear is like 2.5"-3"
Do you have a pic
Old 03-05-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by MaxSE03

Do you have a pic
nope sorry i am holding out on pics until i can get her sittin right
Old 03-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Easy.

No.

But that's all relative.
Thats easy if u have a spring compressor Kev. I dont know how some people here change it out w/o a spring compressor, otherwise it would be a PIA. The install however is pretty much straight 4ward. Only thing I dont really like is dismanteling part of the rear seat to get to the strut mounts, what is it like 30 something 12mm bolts
Old 03-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Why would you need a spring compressor for installing the JICs? The springs are not under compression...... even the stock suspension isn't under too much compression.

No need to dismantle the rear seats to get to the bolts.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Why would you need a spring compressor for installing the JICs? The springs are not under compression...... even the stock suspension isn't under too much compression.

No need to dismantle the rear seats to get to the bolts.
I said to get to the rear strut mounts, not the bolts. U know what I meant Kev im sure uve done the suspension several times. I was refering to removing the bolts behind the rear seat to get to the strut mount bolts. Also I have never tried to remove spring w/o a compressor so I wouldnt know how much pressure they would be under. I just have the compressor so I use it, Its just faster 4 me. Like I said ive never done springs w/o a compressor cuz I havnt had to.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by HitManSE

I said to get to the rear strut mounts, not the bolts. U know what I meant Kev im sure uve done the suspension several times. I was refering to removing the bolts behind the rear seat to get to the strut mount bolts. Also I have never tried to remove spring w/o a compressor so I wouldnt know how much pressure they would be under. I just have the compressor so I use it, Its just faster 4 me. Like I said ive never done springs w/o a compressor cuz I havnt had to.:-D
OK, you just confused me. You don't need to take the seats out to get to the rear strut mount nuts. Swivel socket does wonders.

There's no need to remove the stock springs because you're replacing the whole assembly (springs/struts) with the JIC's... so there's no need to use a spring compressor.

Originally posted by MAXIN

how do you check?
Turn the strut body so that you have a few threads left on the strut to the strut body. Next, lower the spring perch all the way. Finally, push down on the strut rod (via strut mount) and watch it come back up. If it doesn't, you've been screwed by JIC. Hehehe
Old 03-05-2003, 01:21 PM

I found on my install (and subsequent uninstall) that you can get away with removing the front struts w/o a spring compressor, but you can get stuck in the situation where once you pop out the knuckle bolts, the strut will expand into the axle and it may be difficult to get it out b/c the control arms just don't want to move down easily. As for putting them in, I had a dam difficult time putting the passenger side one in even with a spring compressor. There was just very little room to get the thing on properly. This was probably due to the fact that the one I used was a rental from Pep Boys, who knows. I also had to leverage the control arm down a bit to get the strut to line up right. That was a PITA. The driver's side was much easier. More room to put the spring compressor on and the control arm was more easily moved away. I'm not sure, but I think there is more wheel well space on the driver's side since the engine is what probably takes up some on the passenger's side. That would at least explain why it was easier on the driver's side. As for installing the JIC, there is no need for a compressor as they just slip right in very easily and if they don't just adjust their height, though I wouldn't think you would have to.

Kev is right about not having to remove the rear seat for those upper mounts. I just used a swivel socket while laying in my trunck to get at them. A little uncomfortable, but not very difficult.

BTW, Bulldawg I hope things work out for on the JICs. They are a very nice product, just not for me. Oh well. You would think for as much as they are that JIC would be a little quicker with getting you a working pair for the rear.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:25 PM

if you don't mind me asking where did you guys get your jics and how much did you pay? I think my wallet says it's time.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:40 PM

OK, you just confused me. You don't need to take the seats out to get to the rear strut mount nuts. Swivel socket does wonders.

My bad, and about the swivel socket....I destroyed my 14mm swivel socket a few weeks ago and havnt gotten around to getting another 1 I didnt know that the JIC came with with the spring already mounted on the strut. Btw how does it ride (comfort wise) compared to ur old setup. Thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by HitManSE

My bad, and about the swivel socket....I destroyed my 14mm swivel socket a few weeks ago and havnt gotten around to getting another 1 I didnt know that the JIC came with with the spring already mounted on the strut. Btw how does it ride (comfort wise) compared to ur old setup. Thanks
Ride quality is more or less the same, but I have yet to bottom out on all the huge bumps/dips that I usually bottom out on with the GC's. The car feels stock while going over those bumps/dips. Simply amazing...
Old 03-05-2003, 04:01 PM

Ride quality is more or less the same, but I have yet to bottom out on all the huge bumps/dips that I usually bottom out on with the GC's. The car feels stock while going over those bumps/dips. Simply amazing...
You say that ride quality is the same ......Mine seems to be a lot more bouncy than it used to be, and also I can tell when I hit abump. Pretty rough in my opinion
Old 03-05-2003, 04:13 PM

You say that ride quality is the same ......Mine seems to be a lot more bouncy than it used to be, and also I can tell when I hit abump. I get a pretty solid thud now when I hit a bump. Pretty rough in my opinion, also I suspect the suspension is making my CD player skip on certain roads. I told nissan this and the service tech said that he found a short in my CD player. and they ordered me a new one.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You say that ride quality is the same ......Mine seems to be a lot more bouncy than it used to be, and also I can tell when I hit abump. I get a pretty solid thud now when I hit a bump. Pretty rough in my opinion, also I suspect the suspension is making my CD player skip on certain roads. I told nissan this and the service tech said that he found a short in my CD player. and they ordered me a new one.
Ride quality is the same as the GC's, not stock... sorry for the confusion. Bouncy is not good. What is your setting again? I have mine at 10 clicks from soft.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:30 PM

Ride quality is the same as the GC's, not stock... sorry for the confusion. Bouncy is not good. What is your setting again? I have mine at 10 clicks from soft.

Well...my judgement is a little impaired because i have the stocks on the rear....so of course it will bounce. But when I HAD the whole set up on, I had fronts at 2 and the rears at 7.

Kev
are you saying that you don't have any noise at all from the JIC's. cuz I get some weird noises when hitting a series of large bumps (crappy roads). lots of thuds and such....anyone else? That is just from the front, hopefully the rears will be quiet now. I can also feel the road a lot better, cracks and slope of the road. is that normal?
Old 03-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Well...my judgement is a little impaired because i have the stocks on the rear....so of course it will bounce. But when I HAD the whole set up on, I had fronts at 2 and the rears at 7.

Kev
are you saying that you don't have any noise at all from the JIC's. cuz I get some weird noises when hitting a series of large bumps (crappy roads). lots of thuds and such....anyone else? That is just from the front, hopefully the rears will be quiet now. I can also feel the road a lot better, cracks and slope of the road. is that normal?
2 in front sounds a bit too soft. Have you tried stiffening the fronts? From the settings you told us, the front of the car will bounce while the back will not (as much). The fronts will need to be stiffer since the front portion of the car is heavier.

Nope, no weird noises at all..... not even going over large bumps or dips.

Hehehehe.... you'll feel every road imperfection.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2 in front sounds a bit too soft. Have you tried stiffening the fronts? From the settings you told us, the front of the car will bounce while the back will not (as much). The fronts will need to be stiffer since the front portion of the car is heavier.

Nope, no weird noises at all..... not even going over large bumps or dips.

Hehehehe.... you'll feel every road imperfection.
You need the rear to be a bit stiffer because the car is fwd. It already compensates for the weight in the front with the higher spring rate in the front and larger pistons. For every five clicks in the rear two clicks in the front for a 50/50 weight ratio at breaking and cornering. Call Zeal motorsports and im sure they will confirm this. Also note I have had mine on since December and I auto-x my car two times a month and I have no problems at all. No noises or anything abnormal.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by SVTTODAMAX

You need the rear to be a bit stiffer because the car is fwd. It already compensates for the weight in the front with the higher spring rate in the front and larger pistons. For every five clicks in the rear two clicks in the front for a 50/50 weight ratio at breaking and cornering. Call Zeal motorsports and im sure they will confirm this. Also note I have had mine on since December and I auto-x my car two times a month and I have no problems at all. No noises or anything abnormal.
Hmmmm..... higher spring rates will cause you to bounce more if you don't have the correct dampening/rebound. I've sat in a car with blown struts before (no dampening) and the car bounced like a ball.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:21 PM

Hmmmm..... higher spring rates will cause you to bounce more if you don't have the correct dampening/rebound. I've sat in a car with blown struts before (no dampening) and the car bounced like a ball.

Maybe I just don't know what normal is for these things. I mean it is louder than stock correct, cuz mine sure is. The only time i get a noise in the front, is when i go over something were the wheel drops down, like a sunken manhole. but other than that I don't notice anything too much out of order.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:07 AM

I'm going to agree with Kev on this. I had mine set at 2/10 and the front did bounce quite a bit, my major gripe along with ride quality degradation. It may be worth noting that the adjustments on the front are smaller than the adjustments for the rear, which I found out when I pulled the springs off and pushed down on them all the way. At the lowest setting, they both rebounded about the same. At the highest setting, the rears were barely rebounding at all, actually took a few minutes to extend all the way, whereas the fronts rebounded much more quickly. I tried a point or to in between which confirms this behavior existed at all dampening levels, not just the endpoints. To me, it seems that JIC already has the dampening for the rear set higher given equal front/rear dampening levels. Whether that difference is enough for the best possible handling, I don't know. This may be why SVTTODAMAX was told by JIC to set the rear dampening higher than front. In any case, this is just the info I've compiled, so take it for what its worth.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Maybe I just don't know what normal is for these things. I mean it is louder than stock correct, cuz mine sure is. The only time i get a noise in the front, is when i go over something were the wheel drops down, like a sunken manhole. but other than that I don't notice anything too much out of order.
Hmmmmm...... sounds like the spring is fully extended and is able to move around between the perch/mount. Is the spring able to move when you have the car jacked up?
Old 03-06-2003, 10:37 AM

Hmmmmm...... sounds like the spring is fully extended and is able to move around between the perch/mount. Is the spring able to move when you have the car jacked up?

I am assuming that you are talking about the pre-load. After my springs "settled" i tightend the lower perch up to where it was snug against the spring. I didn't use excessive force to do so, probable .5-1 turn. If i tug really hard on the spring, it will move but not by itself.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Yes, I was talking about pre-load, but I wasn't sure if you knew the term.

I gave the perch a few more full turns after the spring was loaded so it now takes a great amount of force to move the spring.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:12 PM

Yes, I was talking about pre-load, but I wasn't sure if you knew the term.

I gave the perch a few more full turns after the spring was loaded so it now takes a great amount of force to move the spring.
So, what portion of a G are you pulling with your fancy RSM w/G-sensor gizmo?

Got any 60-0 and 100-0 stops on your BBK with the G-Tech Pro?

You have all the goodies everyone dreams about, but NO results for data/evidence.

Promises, promises...
Old 03-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by IceY2K1

So, what portion of a G are you pulling with your fancy RSM w/G-sensor gizmo?

Got any 60-0 and 100-0 stops on your BBK with the G-Tech Pro?

You have all the goodies everyone dreams about, but NO results for data/evidence.

Promises, promises...:kiss
I never promised posting G's or doing XXX-0 stops.

I don't remember what the G was for the GC, but I haven't taken a corner hard with the JIC's yet.

The RSM can do -G for braking.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:10 PM

I never promised posting G's or doing XXX-0 stops.
Sure about that? Unless you don't consider triple X speeds as "high speeds".
||
||
||
\/
I haven't tried stomping on the brakes at high speeds yet. Give me about 1-2 more tanks of gas to break in.
Source: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=Brembo

I don't remember what the G was for the GC, but I haven't taken a corner hard with the JIC's yet.

The RSM can do -G for braking.
Where is GC?

I don't have a RSM to compare with, but we both have a G-Tech Pro! Speaking of G-Tech Pro, how about some 1/4-mile G-Tech runs at 10psi? The ET would be INTERESTING!!!