5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

wheel balance and rotation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 04:01 PM

wheel balance and rotation

I recently have had a wheel balance and rotation and realized that its fine from 0-45 mph afterward it starts to shake and around 70 it shakes a lot. I have a 2k3 maxima but when they did they service, they said they did it to 2k2 specs. Can somone tell me if this is the reason for the shaking or is it something else? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: wheel balance and rotation

Originally posted by Oxidizer2k
I recently have had a wheel balance and rotation and realized that its fine from 0-45 mph afterward it starts to shake and around 70 it shakes a lot. I have a 2k3 maxima but when they did they service, they said they did it to 2k2 specs. Can somone tell me if this is the reason for the shaking or is it something else? Thanks.

I dont know if that's the reason, but whatever it is, take your car back to the guy that did the wheel balance/rotation and tell them to do a better job!

~limsandy
Old 02-12-2003, 05:38 PM

I don't get what they mean by 2K2 specs? Wheel balancing is dependant on the wheel & rim and the size of the weights that are necessary to bring them into balance. There is no particular specification for this irregardless of year or even make of car.

As for the rotation, I would have done same side with front to back. Ask them if they swapped from one side to the other. Maybe that is contributing to the wobble. Also you should try to have them high speed balanced. If they used a manual spinning balancer, they don't work so great.

Final thing (which is rare) is make sure they tightened all of the lug nuts.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=balance

Read this post. Hope it helps.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 PM

Can somone tell me if this is the reason for the shaking or is it something else
This is most likely a balancing issue.

When I had all my tires changed last year at WheelWorks, I experienced rather intense vibration past 60MPH. I took the car back and they rebalanced the tires and everything has been fine since.

Since then, I've rotated the tires once myself, but haven't had any problems still.

Just take the car back and have them redo the balancing.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:46 AM

Thanks guys

Thanks, that really helped me out. I actually got it done at walmart and I was scared at first because they bent the side of my accord's aero kit and I was afraid they would damage the Maxima. I got it done 2 times that day and it was still like that.... they told me that the guy was a "newbie." That is still no excuse. What really ****ed me off was that the **** drove my car and he left huge trails of grease everywhere.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:01 AM
Maxima Pilot

'2K specs'...whadda load of horsepucky..LOL!!!

Its definitely a balance problem....if the idiot does not fix it the second time, find a shop that has a Hunter 9700 Road Force analyzer and a tech who knows how to use it and it will be taken care of.

The way to know if the tech knows how to use a 9700 is to ask him 'what do you do if road force is around 12-15 lbs'?

If the tech says something along the lines of 'that's considered within spec but may cause a problems in some care so I will use the 'tire/wheel matching' capability of the 9700 to try to bring the road force down under six pounds' then you have your man....
Old 02-13-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: '2K specs'...whadda load of horsepucky..LOL!!!

Originally posted by Galo
Its definitely a balance problem....if the idiot does not fix it the second time, find a shop that has a Hunter 9700 Road Force analyzer and a tech who knows how to use it and it will be taken care of.

The way to know if the tech knows how to use a 9700 is to ask him 'what do you do if road force is around 12-15 lbs'?

If the tech says something along the lines of 'that's considered within spec but may cause a problems in some care so I will use the 'tire/wheel matching' capability of the 9700 to try to bring the road force down under six pounds' then you have your man....
Guess what I went back to Walmart to tell them its still not right and i think the guy got mad because he said "ok ill do it myself" After he was done, i drove it and it was way better. It took me an hour to go home and when i came home i realized that ***** scraped the Shi* out of my rims... I have the titanium package too and the rims were scraped. Now im really ****ed.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:45 PM

I would go back and demand a new rim(s)
don't let them get away with this kind of stuff...
Old 02-13-2003, 01:49 PM

Costco did the same thing to me on an aftermarket rim on my '98 SE.

Whenever you go to a shop to have wheel work done....always make them write on the ticket what the condition of your rims are or at least bring it to the guys attention so he's more careful
Old 02-13-2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by RC03MAX
Costco did the same thing to me on an aftermarket rim on my '98 SE.

Whenever you go to a shop to have wheel work done....always make them write on the ticket what the condition of your rims are or at least bring it to the guys attention so he's more careful
S H I T!!! What do you think I should/can do now? I was thinking of going and finding the guys car and Fing it up. j/k. See, Walmart makes you sign a paper that says they are not responsible for any damage done to the vehicle..... so... can I still go back and tell them what happened or would you guys say its too late? If you guys say its too late, then i will seriously go Fuc* is car up...