5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen CAI just installed.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Injen CAI just installed.....

Well after a couple of un-expected problems, I finally got the intake installed tonight. I am impressed with the quality of the unit, and it sounds really good when revved. I did notice the whistling noise at around 3K rpm, and I actually like it. The best thing about this set-up is that it's not all that loud when driving around town normally(which is good cause then I don't have to listen to the GF) but when you put it to the floor it sounds mean. As for any gains, I'd say their is alittle more power now (butt dyno of course) and def. more responsive. How does the Apexi filter perform on this unit? I want to switch to this if it will help even more. Sorry for the long post but I am excited
Old 02-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have heard a few guys on the board mention the "whistling" noise with the INJEN. I have had it now for about 4-5 months, and only once, on a cold morning (early on when it was only 2 weeks old) did I notice the "whistling". It seemed that once the engine warmed up, it went away. Never heard it since.......
Old 02-15-2003, 09:22 PM

I guess I was unlucky with mine or my max didn't like it too much. I had real problem with whistling. It was so annoying for me that I had to get rid of it. I sold it to an org member. Hopefully, he will have better luck than me.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

The whistling noise is nothing more than the air rushing past the throttle body valve. As for the APEXI filter on the Injen, that's the setup I have. I love it! It sounds a lot deeper, and a bit louder too at WOT. I can't say much about performance, maybe a bit better, but it's hard to tell. The APEXI filter is noticeably larger though so I imagine it receives more air.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:29 PM

Yes, I have the Injen also, but with an SPW filter. I love the way it sounds, I have gotten used to the whistle, although with the muffler I'm going to get, I will hear no more of the whistle.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:24 AM

Re: Injen CAI just installed.....

Originally posted by 00SESoonToBe
Well after a couple of un-expected problems, I finally got the intake installed tonight. I am impressed with the quality of the unit, and it sounds really good when revved. I did notice the whistling noise at around 3K rpm, and I actually like it. The best thing about this set-up is that it's not all that loud when driving around town normally(which is good cause then I don't have to listen to the GF) but when you put it to the floor it sounds mean. As for any gains, I'd say their is alittle more power now (butt dyno of course) and def. more responsive. How does the Apexi filter perform on this unit? I want to switch to this if it will help even more. Sorry for the long post but I am excited

Just curious (since I haven't installed a CAI yet) what un-expected installation problems are you talking about?
Old 02-16-2003, 12:35 AM

Re: Injen CAI just installed.....

Give it a few more miles/hours and it will really start to show improvement.

Is the Apexi filter a dry type mesh filter? If it were it would certainly reduce the odds of a MAF failure, which is commonly attributed to the oiled filters. [I had about 7500 miles on my Injen without any problems whatsoever before selling my max, but something to consider.]

My favorite was driving under bridges at WOT, it really roars! Enjoy.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:06 AM
BigCat44

Install Problems

I ran into some difficulties using the brace mount where the oil dip stick uses the same brace mount point. I also had some problems because of this, in getting the clearance I wanted by the filter. Nothing too difficult it just added some time to "force" things out of the way. No I just bent the oil res forward a tad and slid the air filter brace behind it and had no more problems. I am curious though as to where you get the Apexi filter at?

Old 02-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Install Problems

Originally posted by BigCat44
I ran into some difficulties using the brace mount where the oil dip stick uses the same brace mount point. I also had some problems because of this, in getting the clearance I wanted by the filter. Nothing too difficult it just added some time to "force" things out of the way. No I just bent the oil res forward a tad and slid the air filter brace behind it and had no more problems. I am curious though as to where you get the Apexi filter at?
You can get the APEXI filter at Options Auto Salon or at Frankencar. Last time I checked Options Auto Salon did not have them in stock and when I talked to a sales rep a few weeks ago he said by late February they will have them in. If you go to Frankencar you will get the mounting kit that you need to attach it to the Injen. You won't get that at Options Auto Salon, but it's cheaper at Options Auto Salon. Also the APEXI filter is no maintenance filter and lasts for 30K miles.

As far as MAF failures, mostly 2k2 and 2k3 Max's are seeing this. With oiled filters there is theory that over-oiling causes this problem. Of course it's a big debate and no one is certain of the real reason. So if you stick with an oiled filter, make sure you don't over oil it.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:13 PM

I have brand-new an Injen Intake waiting to be installed. Did your intake's piping have all this black crap on the inside of the piping? Mine does, i don't know if I should wash it out or if it's supposed to be there.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Injen CAI just installed.....

Originally posted by RC03MAX

Just curious (since I haven't installed a CAI yet) what un-expected installation problems are you talking about?

Well, I decided to have my brother install the unit for me since he's alittle bit better with mods than me. He manged to crack the Mass Air Flow Meter in the process probably due to the cold weather and partly his stupidness Well I got a really good deal from DaveB on one and the intake went togather quite nicley afterwards. It ended up taking a few hours, not a half hour like I was told Anyways you'll love it. How long does it take for the ECU to adjust to the increased air-flow for maximum results?
Old 02-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by krazyd
I have brand-new an Injen Intake waiting to be installed. Did your intake's piping have all this black crap on the inside of the piping? Mine does, i don't know if I should wash it out or if it's supposed to be there.
Well that's residue left over from the machining of the piping. You should wash it off and let it dry before you put it on. If you want to clean it quickly you can use brake cleaner as it will evaporate quick.

I have heard that it doesn't really harm your engine. Or at least I think that is what Injen stated. But just to be on the safe side I would clean it up.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:22 AM

injen is nice, but i dont understand why its called a cai when it still sucks in hot air from the radiator
Old 02-17-2003, 05:45 AM

Glad the install is what you expected. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by LouE37
Glad the install is what you expected. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I do really like the set-up. I just would like to make it alittle louder, maybe an Apexi filter??
Old 02-17-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
injen is nice, but i dont understand why its called a cai when it still sucks in hot air from the radiator
On the 5th gens the intake is under the battery; away from the radiator off to the side.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:42 PM

so what you're saying is that i should wash my intake in water to get out all that black junk? cool deal, i can't wait to install the intake, it's been sitting in my bedroom in the box since november. i think i'm just going to use the factory injen intake, i don't see there being any problems with it. i just don't want any MAF problems like a lot of people are having.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by krazyd
so what you're saying is that i should wash my intake in water to get out all that black junk? cool deal, i can't wait to install the intake, it's been sitting in my bedroom in the box since november. i think i'm just going to use the factory injen intake, i don't see there being any problems with it. i just don't want any MAF problems like a lot of people are having.
Yeah a little mild soap and warm water. Make sure you let it dry real well before you install it.