5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

After TSB repair - transmission not much better

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003 | 06:47 AM

After TSB repair - transmission not much better

I'm checking around for people that might have had the TCM or solenoids replaced on a 2000 Max A/T.

I took mine in about two weeks ago and they replaced the solenoids because there was obvious slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear. Apparently the tech felt like the solenoid alone did not solve the problem so they replaced an electronic control module (the worksheet does not say TCM).

So I picked it up, but I had to go out of town for a while so I did not get to drive it much. Drove it yesterday and tested the transmission a bit - here is my impression

There seems to be a hesistation when the car should shift from 1st to 2nd. There is no revving of the engine like before when it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. Not sure if I had this problem before or at least I did not notice it because the problem from 2nd to 3rd was so obvious.

The slipping from 2nd to 3rd is gone - but it appears they accomplished that by just changing when the transmission shifts - it almost feels like it short shifts - very odd feeling.

I'm running out of shops to take it to. It took me 3 shops to find a technician that agreed with me on the 2nd to 3rd slipping. Plus these guys have the best reputation in town (got recommendations from several on .org). They seemed very thorough and I like that the guy just did not do the solenoid and leave it at that, but I think he missed the 1st to 2nd slippage.

What have other owners who had transmission work done to fix TSB problem experienced?
Old 02-20-2003 | 07:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have 0 faith in Nissan trannies. I am on my 3rd tranny and still it slips from 1st to 2nd. I got a 100k mile warranty out of Nissan for this problem.
Old 02-20-2003 | 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so the first - second delay shifting still exists. Have you checked your tranny fluid first to see if they added enough after replacing the solenoid?

I would confirm with them to see if the TCM is replaced. Call them and verify if the part no. of the new TCM matches with the CURRENT TSB. (we had 3+ revisions on the TCM TSB)

if they replaced it, then you can insist them to perform further warranty work on fixing or replacing the tranny. If they didnt replace it, have them do it.

the delay shifting in 2k, 2k1 max will add a lot stress to tranny internals. And when it builds up to certain point, fixing the TCM and solenoid will not bring your tranny back. When did you get this replaced? and how many miles do you have on your car?

remember, Nissan covers tranny up to 5 year and 60k miles.
Old 02-20-2003 | 08:27 AM

I had this TSB done about a year ago. I have noticed a difference. The shifts are crisper but still not crisp. It's definitely better, but it is still an automatic. Somewhere down the road, I might look into a VB mod and a tranny cooler. When I really get on it, it shifts alot better 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is also good. Relative to the way it used to be, it's much better, but it's still auto. Hope this helps - just my impressions ...
Old 02-20-2003 | 11:29 AM

Ive actually had this done twice now, and the 1-2 is still slipping Nissan needs to spend a lil more time on there trannys!!! And first thing in the morn when its cold out my tranny gets stuck in 3rd at 4k rpm and will not shift. But after that 3-4 is fine. im thinking its the cold weather on that one. But the 1-2 is getting rediculous. Thank God i know the owner to a local dealership realy well my car had 88 or 89k when i had it last done free of charge and half off my tranny fluid change.
Old 02-20-2003 | 11:59 AM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally posted by 2k1seae
When I really get on it, it shifts alot better 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is also good.
I have the exact opposite problem, when i am not on it the tranny feels fine, but when i get on it the tranny just slides into gear, this happens on the upshifts 1-2 2-3 and the downshifts 4-3 3-2 & 2-1
This really is annoying especially out of a $30Kish car. BTW this is my 2nd tranny, the first one up and decided one day to not lock up till until i got to about 2500rpm from a stop so it was kinda like having a highstall TC in the car
I was driving a rental 03 caviler and it's tranny was a beauty compared to the damn Jatco piece of crap..that car would rev all the way to red line before shifting firmly into the next gear, and when you wanted it to downshift it would without any arguement unlike my max and this out of a maybe $14k car