5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window Regulator and/or Alternator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 10:08 AM

Window Regulator and/or Alternator Problem

First let me tell the whole story. I just bought by 2K Max 2 weeks ago. Last Saturday I went to have my windows tinted. After tinting the windows, they tried to start the car and it wouldn't start because the battery was dead. Neither the car place nor I thought this should have happened, so I figured I must need a new battery. Simple enough. I drove off and had to start and stop the car several times that day and had no other problems. I drove home Saturday night and the car was not started at all on Sunday. Monday morning went to start the car and it was dead as a doornail.

Went to Autozone, bought a battery, put it in, life is good. Just last night, a week after I got my windows tinted, I went out to roll down the windows for the first time. I turned the ignition just enough to be able to roll the windows down. I noticed that the driver side window was rolling down really, really slow. I went around to each window and it seemed to me each window was rolling down slower and slower almost like it didn't have the power to do it. I started the car and drove off thinking that with the car on the windows would roll down better but the windows still rolled down really slowly.

Later, I had to sit with the car off and only had the radio on. After about 20 minutes when I went to start the car, the lights flickered and it hestitated for a second before it started.

The question is could the alternator be cause of all the problems? What could I do to be for sure? Could this be the cause of the windows rolling down extremely slow. Is there an easy way to test the alternator? If the alternator were going bad and not re-charging the battery, if I went back to Autozone and asked them to check the charge on the battery should it be low which might signify an alternator problem?

Please help! I know this was long, but I wanted to give as much of the story as possible. I don't know what to do. I need advice from the experts!
Old 02-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You could use a volt meter on battery check volatage before starting engine should be around 12 volts. Start engine check it again should be around 14 volts when engine is running.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:53 AM

Drive thru Sears

If you've got one - they'll check both the battery and the charging system. I think Autozone can also check if alternator is recharging.

On a previous car - not a Maxima I had a bad voltage regulator - a lot cheaper than replacing the alternator. Basically the alternator was working, but the little device that regulates charging of the battery was bad so it did not get charged with proper voltage.

Can't understand how battery went dead while at a window tinting place - how long did it take? - mine was only in the shop like 4 hours. Maybe they ran the stereo the whole time during the install - plus with the doors open the interior light would have been on - but they should have noticed that.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:18 PM

That's just it. I was standing there the whole time. Actual tinting only took a little over an hour. The only time the car was switched on was to roll the windows up or down. It was then promptly shut off. The interior roof light was never on. Only lights that were on were the door lights I think?? That's why we were both surprised when it wouldn't crank. I assumed bad battery. However, I am concerned about the lack of power to the windows and the hesitation when starting after only running the radio while it was off after getting a new battery. I guess there is a small chance I got a bad battery.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by titanium maxx
You could use a volt meter on battery check volatage before starting engine should be around 12 volts. Start engine check it again should be around 14 volts when engine is running.
OK, did the test. Got 12.45V when off. 14.5V when running. 12.55V when running with heater, lights incl. fogs, rear def., and radio on. I guess based on these numbers both my battery and alternator are OK??