5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

*Streaks On Windows Problem....*

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 11:06 PM

*Streaks On Windows Problem....*

I have some sort of window streaks on my driver side window. ( and i don't mean streaks like after using glass cleaner) more like something from within the door itslelf thats leaving these lines ( not scratches) across my driver side window. All of my other windows are fine it's just my driver side. It's really unnoticable unless you look at it at the right angle in the sunlight. Has anyone had this problem before??? Is there a way to get rid of them??? I had this happen on my previous car. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:15 PM

Re: *Streaks On Windows Problem....*

Does it happen right after you wash your car or it rains? It might just be water left over from this inside your door that wets the window if it's down and you roll it back up.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:24 PM

Re: Re: *Streaks On Windows Problem....*

Originally posted by Hraesvelg
Does it happen right after you wash your car or it rains? It might just be water left over from this inside your door that wets the window if it's down and you roll it back up.
Nah, I know it's not coming from the water. More like from a rubber gasket of somsort in the door. Like I said it's not that noticable unless in sunlight. i just wanted to know if there is a way to remove it. If i had a digi-cam I would take pics to show you what I'm talking about. But since I don't own one I'm trying to describe it the best I can.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: *Streaks On Windows Problem....*

yeah, I have the same problem.. don't know how to fix it other than don't look at it.. it's unlikely that it will get worse, but from what the dealership tells me, the 5th gen max has had window-fit problems
Old 02-25-2003, 11:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: *Streaks On Windows Problem....*

Originally posted by 2000nismorific
yeah, I have the same problem.. don't know how to fix it other than don't look at it.. it's unlikely that it will get worse, but from what the dealership tells me, the 5th gen max has had window-fit problems
So it's a window fitment problem from the factory that is causing this??? It hasn't gotten any worse pretty much still the same from the first time I had notice it. I've only owned the car for about five months though "WTF"......
Old 02-25-2003, 11:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have the same problem and it will eventualy mess up the tint ....another Nissan issue !
Old 02-25-2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
I have the same problem and it will eventualy mess up the tint ....another Nissan issue !
"DANG".... I thought I was only one with this problem....So this is yet another factory defect to go along with the millions of other defects that 5TH Gens have
Old 02-26-2003, 05:08 AM

window gunk

I have small black smudges on my driver side window.
It comes off with soap and water.I first noticed it over the summer
and it has continued thru the winter. It is almost like some type of rubber residue gets on the window when I roll it down. I have tint so I do not scrape the gunk off.
The next oil change I will have the dealer look at it. I have no complaints about my Nissan service so far, they have been great to deal with.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: window gunk

yeah, it will scratch the tint.. however, I have had the tint on for a few years now and the only part that it scratches is down at the bottom of the window and the scratch is about an inch or so long and not anything deep like getting a knife after it.. it's only noticable if you're looking for it and can't be seen from the outside. There is a fix for this.. some sort of silicon lubricant appearantly fixes this easy when applied inside the door panel. Isn't it funny how little things like this will bother you in a great car like the maxima, and yet in the american cars I've owned if the door handle were to fall off, I'd just shrug my shoulders, unsurprised
Old 02-26-2003, 11:04 AM

across or up and down - hijack about gunk

by across the window do you mean horizontal lines?

I have vertical lines, but I figured that was just water getting wiped off by the window guide.

If may hijack you thread for a second - does anyone else with tint end up with like a black line sort of like bathtub ring around the top of the window? I read hte post on here about black gunk - maybe that is the same thing I have - it is a thin line around along the window where it meets the rubber seal at the top. My does not come of with anything - I've almsot given up - tried Plexus, Invisible Glass - thought about Goo Gone but I thought that might ruin my tint.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: across or up and down - hijack about gunk

Originally posted by simon tx
by across the window do you mean horizontal lines?

I have vertical lines, but I figured that was just water getting wiped off by the window guide.

If may hijack you thread for a second - does anyone else with tint end up with like a black line sort of like bathtub ring around the top of the window? I read hte post on here about black gunk - maybe that is the same thing I have - it is a thin line around along the window where it meets the rubber seal at the top. My does not come of with anything - I've almsot given up - tried Plexus, Invisible Glass - thought about Goo Gone but I thought that might ruin my tint.
yes, I have 3 vertical lines at around the middle of the window. And as far as the "bathtub ring" goes, I have that happen, but invisible glass has worked to get it off since I clean my car religiously. If it's not coming off, I'll tell you a trick that I've used when cleaning cars that come from the dealer auctions. Get an aerosol can of brake parts cleaner and spray it on a cloth and ANYTHING should come off. Use this only if your ring is on the outside of the window though if you have tint. PLUS, don't get it on your paint! After that clean it with your normal glass cleaner. Once you get it off, be sure to wipe the inside gasket of your window opening so that it won't do it as much and to prevent this buildup from being too hard to get off again, clean it very regularly.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:11 PM

Well it a Nissan problem our 350Z has that problem as well and over at Zcar.com they have a few threads about in the 350 area.
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=82141&t=82141
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=82340&t=82340
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=80308&t=80308
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=80417&t=80417