5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best Deal on a 03?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best Deal on a 03?

Hi,

I am looking for a 03 GLE or SE either with midgrade options or fully loaded? What is the best deal anyone has gotten on a new one recently and where? I am in NJ so basically anywhere on the east coast. Just curious. Thanks!

Sam
Old 02-27-2003, 06:32 PM

i sell Nissans for a living.....can get a great deal on a 2003 with the 2004 coming....depends on options and features.....trade in too....but if you had no trade i would say dont pay more than 23000 for a base SE Max..but what do i know...
Old 02-27-2003, 08:47 PM

I am getting a 03 SE stick with 5500 miles on it for 20,000. I think thats a good deal, doesnt have like leather or sunroof, but fogs and whatever else. I think thats a good deal?

Later

Sterling
Old 02-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the replies. Ray where do you sell them at? I test drove a an altima and a maxima tonight. I don't even know how people compare them. The Maxima is hands down about 100 times better to drive (in almost every aspect, the auto altima didn't seem much faster than the auto SE Maxima). I saw a site awhile ago , about a dealer in Baltimore/DC area that sells Nissans were cheaply (they apparently had a lot of Muranos). Does anyone know this site? Thanks again.

Sam
Old 02-27-2003, 10:41 PM

I got my 2003 Max SE BASE w/ mudguards and wheellocks for $21,999.99

That was due to an advertising glitch .. but hell, it worked in my favor b/c they forgot to put in the fine print: "prices may vary"
Old 02-28-2003, 02:16 AM

go to carsdirect.com and price it for your area code. then go to any nissan dealership and offer them about ~$300 below the price you see on carsdirect.com (nissan pays carsdirect $300 for my 03 SE). that would be about as low as you can buy it for. also, their $1000 cash back PLUS 2.9% apr for 60 month expires TODAY!!!!
i think if you want hlsd(highly recommended) you pretty much have to buy a loaded SE (except nav) to have that option.
good luck.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:47 AM
vqman

about 3 weeks ago, I helped a girl buy one for $800 UNDER invoice.

are the 2k4's at the dealers yet? if so, expect at least $1000 usa dollars under invoice...at least! if you can't get that, come to Kansas City, go to O'Niell Nissan, they'll hook you up, that is were she got her SE Titanium Edition, automatic, (no leather) for REALLY cheap!

-vq

Old 02-28-2003, 10:44 AM

Got my '02 about a month ago and paid $1724 under invoice (invoice according to Edmunds anyway) and probably could have done better but just really wanted the car and didn't feel like negotiating too much. It's a loaded SE 6-spd (minus nav, minus HLSD) and was $25,388 (sticker was $30,213). Got the 60 month 2.9% APR so I was happy. I'd bet you can work a deal like that on an '03 pretty easily.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:37 PM

I'm in NY state.....trust me getting an 03 SE for under 23000 is a good deal....
Old 03-01-2003, 05:04 AM

Look up invoice cost for the '03 Max you are looking at either Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book, subtact $1000 (cash back to dealer) and that is what you should pay at this point. Ignore any worthless dealer add-ons like paint protection, etc. Watch out for dealer fees and 'add-ons' when they write up the deal. Of course, never tell them you have a trade-in, if you do, until after you get a written and signed deal or it will be most difficult to determine what you are really paying for the new Max and getting for your trade. Negotiate them seperately.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:19 AM

VQMAN
So how much did it wind up costing. Im in IA but would gladly drive to KC to save few thousand.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by toucansma
Thanks for the replies. Ray where do you sell them at? I test drove a an altima and a maxima tonight. I don't even know how people compare them. The Maxima is hands down about 100 times better to drive (in almost every aspect, the auto altima didn't seem much faster than the auto SE Maxima). I saw a site awhile ago , about a dealer in Baltimore/DC area that sells Nissans were cheaply (they apparently had a lot of Muranos). Does anyone know this site? Thanks again.

Sam
Actually the auto 3.5 Altima is a tad slower than the auto Maxima, manuals are a draw.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by VQMAN
about 3 weeks ago, I helped a girl buy one for $800 UNDER invoice.

are the 2k4's at the dealers yet? if so, expect at least $1000 usa dollars under invoice...at least! if you can't get that, come to Kansas City, go to O'Niell Nissan, they'll hook you up, that is were she got her SE Titanium Edition, automatic, (no leather) for REALLY cheap!

-vq
was she cute? mayble thats how she got the deal
Old 03-01-2003, 04:41 PM
vqman

Originally posted by kratz74
VQMAN
So how much did it wind up costing. Im in IA but would gladly drive to KC to save few thousand.
uh, let me get in touch with her, the only detail I remembered was $800 under invoice. I think it was $23,800 or something. For an SE, Titanium Edition, autotragic, sunroof...that's about it. But it sounds like you should be able to do better than that...according to some of the other posts I've read.

I didn't know there was a $1,000 rebate in February....that helped get her under invoice...big time.

oh, max to the ma, I think it might have helped. But who knows...I doubt SVRider is all that cute, and he got a GREAT deal.

-vq

Old 03-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Best Deal on a 03?

I bought a fully loaded GLE in NJ about 2 weeks ago (every option except nav.) for about 800 under invoice after the 1000 rebate. I think it worked out to about 3700 under list price. It seemed like a fair price based on Edmunds (actually within 7 bucks) so I didn't bother to haggle any further.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:25 PM

On rt 22 nissan in hillside, NJ..

back in last fall, i got a brand new base Se 03 for 22 K pre tax (sticker was 26.5 K)

of course i did NOT finance the car, so i don't know how much influence that had on the mark down.

hope that helps..of course insurance in NJ is killing me on this car.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:08 PM

VQman

That sounds about right. Just today, I bought an 03 Grey Lustre SE with those exact same options (mats, roof, titanium) for $23,680 (I might be $30 off). My salesperson admitted they were "dropping their pants" on 03 Maximas to get rid of them before the 04s started showing up.

I take delivery Monday night, and I am STOKED. I've bought new cars before, but for various reasons was never able to get a Maxima, which is a car I've wanted since '89 or so. Once the weather improves (Im' in Michigan), I smell a cross-country road trip in my future.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:30 PM

Re: VQman

Originally posted by RichP
That sounds about right. Just today, I bought an 03 Grey Lustre SE with those exact same options (mats, roof, titanium) for $23,680 (I might be $30 off). My salesperson admitted they were "dropping their pants" on 03 Maximas to get rid of them before the 04s started showing up.

I take delivery Monday night, and I am STOKED. I've bought new cars before, but for various reasons was never able to get a Maxima, which is a car I've wanted since '89 or so. Once the weather improves (Im' in Michigan), I smell a cross-country road trip in my future.
just make sure you do the 1000 mile break in by then
Old 03-03-2003, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by VQMAN

oh, max to the ma, I think it might have helped. But who knows...I doubt SVRider is all that cute, and he got a GREAT deal.

-vq

Hey, given a copious amount of makeup...

Yeah, you're right, not even that will help. At least I'm rollin' my ugly butt in a Max now.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:11 PM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bought mine last week (Houston) 2003 SE 6spd fully loaded
minus heated seats/NAV. We paid 24,300 (sticker 30,300) and got the 2.9% financing and I'm sure if I had more time to shop or wouldn't have been so picky (my wife) on the type of car I could have negotiated an even lower price.

I'm not sure if there doing the 2.9 or $1000 rebate but there are
still many 2003 Max's out there to get good deals on. I could not
pass this one up!

I thought the break in period was ~500 miles. My wife is itching to punch it but I told her not until at least 500 miles.

Good Luck on the new buy!

boo and steph
Old 03-03-2003, 03:44 PM
trey

Originally posted by boo
I bought mine last week (Houston) 2003 SE 5spd fully loaded
minus heated seats/NAV. We paid 24,300 (sticker 30,300) and got the 2.9% financing and I'm sure if I had more time to shop or wouldn't have been so picky (my wife) on the type of car I could have negotiated an even lower price.

pass this one up!

I thought the break in period was ~500 miles. My wife is itching to punch it but I told her not until at least 500 miles.

boo and steph
Damn, i think i got took for a ride, guess thats what i get for doing all my homework on an altima (had my mind set on altima) and going in and buying a max cause i fell in love with it,
I payed 26,000 for 03 SE with everything except heated seats and navigation with 5800 miles on it off the showroom floor ouch!!

Old 03-03-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by boo

pass this one up!

boo and steph
No its 1000 miles, that will come quick so take it easy on it until then!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:36 PM
lcf

Hm. I posted in this thread once already but its gone! Anyway, the short version:

Would my friend be able to get a "better" deal than some of you in this thread, because he intends on paying cash?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by boo

pass this one up!

boo and steph
The break in period is 1000 miles, according to the manual. BTW, you got a 5 spd? Must be a typo 'cause the manual is 6 spds.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:03 PM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by VMaximus02
[B]

The break in period is 1000 miles, according to the manual. BTW, you got a 5 spd? Must be a typo 'cause the manual is 6 spds. [/B
Just fixed it. I'm used to talking about my 5spd 97!!

Originally posted by trey
[B]
Damn, i think i got took for a ride, guess thats what i get for doing all my homework on an altima (had my mind set on altima) and going in and buying a max cause i fell in love with it,
I payed 26,000 for 03 SE with everything except heated seats and navigation with 5800 miles on it off the showroom floor ouch!![/B
Don't feel like you were taken. That is a great price for this car. You still saved over $4000 off MSRP and these kind of deals don't come that often!!

[Originally posted by lcf
[B]

Hm. I posted in this thread once already but its gone! Anyway, the short version:

Would my friend be able to get a "better" deal than some of you in this thread, because he intends on paying cash?]
Possibly not! The dealers typically will use their banks(nissan) and
make more money if they finance you! Also financing is another way for them to manipulate the price. The only way to know is to have your friend try.

boo
Old 03-04-2003, 04:27 PM

Comments

Trey - you did fine. While I paid ~$24k, I also didn't get leather. That itself adds a ton to the price. Plus, Boo probably included the rebate in his price.

I personally wouldn't have minded leather, I just hate the fact Nissan packs it in with all these options inflating the price GREATLY. My wife's truck has leather, and I'm pretty impartial to it.

OTOH, I didn't think I'd like the 6CD changer as much as I have. What a sweet unit. The Titanium package is, IMO, a severe rip, but what the hey. I'm going to keep this car for a LONG time!

The delivery of my car last night went smoothly, except we had some snow on the way back and I'm beginning to see why everyone rags on the Bridgestones (I bought an SE, dunno if the GxEs have different boots). They handled OK, but it was definately careful going (the roads were sheer ice in spots). The best way I can describe their handling is "greasy" in inclement weather. If it wasn't so close to the end of winter (Grand Rapids, Michigan), I'd either get winter tires or Michelin Pilots, but I figure I'll suffer through a couple more weeks on the Bridgestones. Spring/Summer/Fall will be fine. I just hate to replace brand new tires, regardless of how badly they suck.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:30 PM
trey

Re: Comments

Originally posted by RichP
Trey - you did fine. While I paid ~$24k, I also didn't get leather. That itself adds a ton to the price. Plus, Boo probably included the rebate in his price.

I personally wouldn't have minded leather, I just hate the fact Nissan packs it in with all these options inflating the price GREATLY. My wife's truck has leather, and I'm pretty impartial to it.

OTOH, I didn't think I'd like the 6CD changer as much as I have. What a sweet unit. The Titanium package is, IMO, a severe rip, but what the hey. I'm going to keep this car for a LONG time!

The delivery of my car last night went smoothly, except we had some snow on the way back and I'm beginning to see why everyone rags on the Bridgestones (I bought an SE, dunno if the GxEs have different boots). They handled OK, but it was definately careful going (the roads were sheer ice in spots). The best way I can describe their handling is "greasy" in inclement weather. If it wasn't so close to the end of winter (Grand Rapids, Michigan), I'd either get winter tires or Michelin Pilots, but I figure I'll suffer through a couple more weeks on the Bridgestones. Spring/Summer/Fall will be fine. I just hate to replace brand new tires, regardless of how badly they suck.
Hey thanks rich, maybe i didn't get the best price, but i did learn a lot. This was my first car i bought by myself. The leather is nice but i wish the heated seats came with my car oh well.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:18 AM

loaded 03 SE 6spd +trunk mat+splash guard+sunroof wind deflector without NAV: MSRP $30641
I paid $26985 with the $1000 nissan rebate with carsdirect.com No bargaining, straight up, no BS. Price shows up on your PC, you click "okay I'll buy it", and go sign paperwork and pickup the car in 10 minutes.

someone here paid even lower....just have to have patience and be willing to bargain and waste time.