5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone using hood struts on CF hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone using hood struts on CF hoods?

I don't know what you other guys use but ever since I had my cf hood I just use like a think steel pipe to hold the hood up. I know the cf hood is too weak for the stock hood struts. What does everyone else use?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:22 PM

I used the hood struts w/ my vis hood and it works fine. Only thing, my hood doesn't close all the way right now. I don't think the latch is locking. I have hood pins to hold it down. There's about a quarter inch gap. How does your hood fit? Do u have that problem?
Thanx,
Lam
Old 03-02-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Blk2kMAXSE
I used the hood struts w/ my vis hood and it works fine. Only thing, my hood doesn't close all the way right now. I don't think the latch is locking. I have hood pins to hold it down. There's about a quarter inch gap. How does your hood fit? Do u have that problem?
Thanx,
Lam

I use the Hood struts with VIS..and no problems ..

hmm.. for latch, you should lift them a little, then CFH will close fine... I had that problem too, but be careful when u raise the latch... other than that..my hood is fine!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:37 PM

ok guys,

I just got my VIS and installed it a week ago. I have been using a board that has been working perfectly to hold my hood up. Where did you guys drill for the hood struts? My hood has a spot on each side (a little indentation that looks to be in the same spot as the OEM hood stru mounts) but I am not sure. Is that where you guys drilled?
Old 03-02-2003, 11:46 PM

ok guys,

I just got my VIS and installed it a week ago. I have been using a board that has been working perfectly to hold my hood up. Where did you guys drill for the hood struts? My hood has a spot on each side (a little indentation that looks to be in the same spot as the OEM hood stru mounts) but I am not sure. Is that where you guys drilled?
Old 03-03-2003, 01:05 AM

hey like your new brake ^^

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
ok guys,

I drilled on the same spot and it works perfectly fine~
i checked your brake mod.. awesome man!
Old 03-03-2003, 09:55 AM

Re: hey like your new brake ^^

Originally posted by choiy

I drilled on the same spot and it works perfectly fine~
i checked your brake mod.. awesome man!
Nice!! Thanks for the info..I guess I have another small project tonight then too...

I just finished the install of the brakes last night, and they look even better on the car then they do in the pics that I have up now

I'll be updating real soon with more pics of the hood, the brakes and my new leather seats
Old 03-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

How did you guys reinforce the bolt from the strut that's going into the hood? No washer and nut on the other side?

I'm using The Club to hold up the hood.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
How did you guys reinforce the bolt from the strut that's going into the hood? No washer and nut on the other side?

I'm using The Club to hold up the hood.
heheh...I was just about to send you a PM to see if you got the hood struts in yours...I figured someone that could do a turbo upgrade could do hood struts no problem

The original stut had no type of reinforcement on the other side of the hood...Then again, the metal is a little stronger than the fiberglass

Oh well, I guess I will be heading to the local parts store to see if they offer any type of weaker struts that would work with our hoods...Maybe struts from a 240sx or something...
Old 03-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MaxDoogie

heheh...I was just about to send you a PM to see if you got the hood struts in yours...I figured someone that could do a turbo upgrade could do hood struts no problem

:wall

The original stut had no type of reinforcement on the other side of the hood...Then again, the metal is a little stronger than the fiberglass ;-)

Oh well, I guess I will be heading to the local parts store to see if they offer any type of weaker struts that would work with our hoods...Maybe struts from a 240sx or something...

Hehehehe..... I haven't done this yet because I question the integrity of the fiberglass reinforcement. Have you tried pushing down on the hood struts?!?!? Now imagine putting all that pressure (~ 1/2" area per strut) on the hood. Personally, I'm not comfortable yet until a weaker hood strut or some other reinforcement is found.

For now, it's The Club or some springs.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Hehehehe..... I haven't done this yet because I question the integrity of the fiberglass reinforcement. Have you tried pushing down on the hood struts?!?!? Now imagine putting all that pressure (~ 1/2" area per strut) on the hood. Personally, I'm not comfortable yet until a weaker hood strut or some other reinforcement is found.

For now, it's The Club or some springs.
I completely agree...Any of those little cracking noises I hear scare the living Sh*t out of me, and there sure seems to be a lot of them. There has to be some sort of solution out there, and doggonit, I'll find it

Even though the board I have now is a perfect fit, I still want something else

I'll let everyone know if I find anything