5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K Max is Crap during Snowy Weather!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 04:47 PM
RBa

Th

[Edited by RBa on 01-13-2001 at 04:18 AM]
Old 01-11-2001, 05:04 PM

I totally agree with you on that. I am also in search of snow tires for the winter. I was driving home for the holidays and almost experienced the same exact thing. I was going about 40mph on the Verrazano bridge and I almost kissed someone's rear end. From that point on I was creeping while everyone else was would pass and give me a dirty look for driving so slow. I think I am going to park the "Max" and drive my 87 Accord until the weather breaks. It's a shame that the 87 Accord handles better and more dependable in the snow.
Old 01-11-2001, 05:08 PM

why were you doing 90+ in heavy snow? maybe its not completely the cars fault...a lot of other things are possible...you could have hit black ice etc. maybe the bimmer just missed it...what kind of max is it? se, gxe, gle...anything done to it...what size rims w/ what tires? did you hit anything or did the car just spin around and around (and around and around) and stop...i don't see how the axles can get messed up from just spinning...be thankful you weren't in a truck because you probably would have flipped it...you should probably talk to the dealer about the ignition cut off and about the axles breaking...that should be under warranty and you should check w/ your insurance company...tell them you hit black ice or something and be sure to tell them that you were going way under the speed limit
Old 01-11-2001, 06:02 PM
Got Bent?

Glad no one was hurt, but seriously, traveling at those speeds in even a little bit of snow is not very smart. Snow tires or not, the chances of you getting into a serious wreck in that type of weather at those speeds is just too great. The stock 17" tires on the SE are pretty bad in wet weather, so I can envision you having some problems there. But, I doubt any tire or car for that matter will be able to save you at those speeds in the snow.
Old 01-11-2001, 06:09 PM
dvyuan

I agree going 90 in snow is not a good idea. Probaly not the cars fault at all. You didn't have snow tires and what is on the our Maximas are traction control not stablility control like the BMW have. Two very different things. Traction control only allows your tires not to spin during acccleration while the BMW system corrects for mistakes with it's stablity program.

Old 01-11-2001, 06:24 PM

If you want a car that handles well in the snow, get an Audi with Quattro. You can pick up a A4 1.8t for around 30k. And chip it and get some nicer performance.
Old 01-11-2001, 06:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

buy a subaru or something...are you NUTZ?

Originally posted by RBa
This incident happened while I was driving east bound on I80 a few weeks ago.
I was returning home after visiting my father in Michigan for the New Year. I was driving with my sister aboard. As soon as we crossed the Ohio border into Pennsylvania, it started to flurry. After about 2 miles I noticed the snow was turning much heavier.
The BMW infront of me was traveling at about 90mph while I followed him doing 95mph. By the time I had cut him off, the snow started to pile alot. I slowed down alittle because I was worried.
As soon as we approached a long curve, my rear wheels started to skid. By the time I noticed, my car was doing a 180`. And while all this was going on, the BMW that I was behind me, just passed and didn't even hestitate to help. That's what you get from a typical NewYorker! My sister and I were screaming the whole time the car was spinning out of control.
After doing a 720`, I managed to stop my car and regain control. I was tremebling so much afterward that I didn't even notice that the igition had cut off. After a taking a couple of deep breaths, I started my car back up and drove off.
My car was in terrible condition afterwards. I had to drive at 25mph because it was constantly shaking and there was absolutley no traction. I had to drive about 50 miles until the wheel alignment returned close to normal.
When I took it the shop after getting back home, they told me I was lucky to have gotten away without injuries.
I had to change all 4 axles, 1 front strut, 1 rear shock, retune the transmission, realign the wheels, and change 1 rear brake rotor. Luckily there wasn't any damage to the body but the damage done to my wallet was $2300.00.
I've desided to buy a set of rims and put snow tires on them. I learned that it's better to be safe than sorry and also that Maximas are crap even with the traction control option ******** during snow conditions compared to the BMWs.
uh...first of all...if you're doing 95 in snowy weather, it doesn't matter what you drive, you'll SKID!!!
second, the traction control is not design to keep your car from skidding in any kinds of situation. you still have to drive carefully, or you WILL lose it!

man...drive more slowly...that would have saved you $2300.
buy a subaru...or an Audi quattro...if you want better snow traction.

-peace
Old 01-11-2001, 07:25 PM

I30 and snow

Have been driving the 2000 I30 in the snow (Toyo tires) and it handles much better than i expected. Very stable. Traction control is great. No matter what car you have, BMW or not, you must SLOW DOWN at the first sign of snow. I learned that the hard way while living in Rochester, NY many years ago!

STEVE
Old 01-11-2001, 08:22 PM

I don't feel sorry for you in anyway...Only for the car

1) You shouldn't be going 95mph when its snowing. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. In Drivers Ed. We learn NOT to speed up BUT to SLOW down when situations get bad

2) Your PASSING another car. 4 lanes or not, stay in the lane your in. If your going to pass, pass someone who is going 20mph in a 70mph zone, NOT someone going 90mph. If you realized he/she WAS going 90mph, then you know your going to fast if you pass him/her. I don't hate the bimmer guy, I wouldn't have helped you ( forgive me for being cold )

3) You had a passenger, doesn't that give you any clue? SLOW DOWN!!! Even the best of snow tires/traction control/electronic stability system CAN'T redify the law of physics.

4) Glad you didn't hit a tree or someone else. The Maxima could be very hurt and have extensive damage along with other people out on the road and in your car ( besides you ).

5) Speed doesn't kill, its driver error. Especially when your going 95mph! Aren't you glad there wasn't a Police around, Not to help you if fell into the ditch or ask if your OK, BUT TO GIVE YOU A SPEEDING TICKET OR RECKLESS DRIVING TICKET!

Don't say the Maxima is bad in the snow. The fact is that the car is great, its just the driver sucks!

Well all in all, I hope your MAXIMA is OK!

[Edited by ScreamingVQ on 01-11-2001 at 11:00 PM]
Old 01-11-2001, 08:36 PM

95 mph in snow, sounds like you have a death wish

I don't see a lot of difference between jumping off of a building to driving 95 mph in snow. They both will accomplish the same results. Next time you might consider attempting your death wish without any passengers in your car. There's no reason why everone should get killed, besides who will collect your life insurance.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:43 PM
Maxx Atlanta

Comm'on Let's get real...

Slow that their car down a bit...buddy!!
We want you to be around so you can keep crusin in the maxx...not the coffin box!!
Try this!! if you have no snow tires then deflate your tires about a 1/3 of their size. that will give you a better grip on ice and snow temporarly, but every car is not going to handle that well in snow or ice when traction is not good. Don't care if it's BMW or Audi when you lose traction things are going to happen!!

Old 01-12-2001, 02:05 AM

Re: 95 mph in snow, sounds like you have a death wish

Originally posted by 2000MaxSE
I don't see a lot of difference between jumping off of a building to driving 95 mph in snow. They both will accomplish the same results. Next time you might consider attempting your death wish without any passengers in your car. There's no reason why everone should get killed, besides who will collect your life insurance.
Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice original screen name buddy..............................

Adam
Old 01-12-2001, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by RBa
I was returning home after visiting my father in Michigan for the New Year. I was driving with my sister aboard. As soon as we crossed the Ohio border into Pennsylvania, it started to flurry. After about 2 miles I noticed the snow was turning much heavier.
The BMW infront of me was traveling at about 90mph while I followed him doing 95mph. By the time I had cut him off, the snow started to pile alot. I slowed down alittle because I was worried.
As soon as we approached a long curve, my rear wheels started to skid. By the time I noticed, my car was doing a 180`. And while all this was going on, the BMW that I was behind me, just passed and didn't even hestitate to help. That's what you get from a typical NewYorker! My sister and I were screaming the whole time the car was spinning out of control.
After doing a 720`, I managed to stop my car and regain control. I was tremebling so much afterward that I didn't even notice that the igition had cut off. After a taking a couple of deep breaths, I started my car back up and drove off.
My car was in terrible condition afterwards. I had to drive at 25mph because it was constantly shaking and there was absolutley no traction. I had to drive about 50 miles until the wheel alignment returned close to normal.
When I took it the shop after getting back home, they told me I was lucky to have gotten away without injuries.
I had to change all 4 axles, 1 front strut, 1 rear shock, retune the transmission, realign the wheels, and change 1 rear brake rotor. Luckily there wasn't any damage to the body but the damage done to my wallet was $2300.00.
I've desided to buy a set of rims and put snow tires on them. I learned that it's better to be safe than sorry and also that Maximas are crap even with the traction control option ******** during snow conditions compared to the BMWs.
Aside from incredibly poor driving judgment by you, the modifications you made to your car all make it worse in snow. Stiffer suspension and a trunk full of heavy stereo equipment all detract from the car's natural ability in snow.

Dave, no sympathy
Old 01-12-2001, 05:18 AM

So far I've found my Maxima to be OK in the snow (and we've had more here in Toronto in the past month than all of last winter combined.) The Max is no worse than the Accord coupe it replaced, even with the 17 inch rolling stock. Snow tires would be a vast improvement, however - as they would be on any car. I rememeber one of the major car magazines did a comparative test some years back and found that a front drive vehicle with snow tires performed very nearly as well as a 4 wheel drive vehicle with all-season tires. And almost nobody I know with an SUV puts snow tires on in the winter.

The thing that makes me most nervous about driving in snow is, frankly, people like you. It's been said enough times in this thread already, but in case you need to hear it one more time, that kind of speed when there's snow on the ground is RECKLESS. I've had a couple of very scary close calls on the highway in snowy conditions and in each case it was caused by some chucklehead like yourself going WAY too fast for the conditions. I don't think a 4 wheel drive vehicle is yuor answer - it would probably just trick you into believing you have more traction than you actually do. Driver's ed would serve you better.

Jaeger
Old 01-12-2001, 05:46 AM
jwall

Originally posted by RBa
Ummm, 90 MPH in the snow ... I don't think the car's
the problem. I've got winter tires mounted on steel
wheels and I would never consider driving 90MPH in any
winter conditions.

Old 01-12-2001, 05:47 AM

Actually,...

I have not found my Max to be bad at all in snow. My wife has a '01 GLE with the traction control, and it handles great in the snow. I have a '00 SE, with the 17" wheels and no traction control (wish it was an option with the manual transmission), so I bought a set of new wheels with snow tires. With the snows, my car also handles perfectly.

Having owned a BMW in the past, I can assure you the driver on the highway with had snow tires. As a rear-wheel vehicle with (typically) wide, low profile tires, most BMWs (except for the sporadically produced, rare all-wheel drive version, such as the new 325ix) are impossible to drive in snow without replacing the tires.

The bad news -

Based on my experience, the best time to buy snow tires is September - November. If you wait until it starts snowing, everybody (including TireRack, where I bought mine) will have shortages.

[Edited by MI2KSE on 01-12-2001 at 07:50 AM]
Old 01-12-2001, 05:57 AM

Keep driving like that..

and we'll be reading about the winner of the 2001 Darwin Award.

Slick roads = "slooowww"; Dry = "fast";
Fast + Slick roads = "dead". Not too complicated.

Be smart and drive slower when the roads are slick, for your own sake.. and good luck.
Old 01-12-2001, 06:05 AM
RussMaxManiac

Not to be rude, but are you f***** stupid? Driving in snow at that speed or even a chance of it around you, you are a VERY unsafe driver and a danger to others. It's not the car, its your driving experience. You shouldn't even have a license driving like that.

Originally posted by RBa

Old 01-12-2001, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your story is so incredible that I think it's a put on. You must have been sitting around with your friends and said, "Watch this guys, I'll post a thread to make up a story that I was going 95+ in snow. Let's see how many responses we get. Haha"
Old 01-12-2001, 09:20 AM

Hey guys... lets ease up. Maybe he had the Ice Racing option on his Max. I hear its available in New Mexico only.
Old 01-12-2001, 01:07 PM

A Serious Question

Aside from incredibly poor driving judgment by you, the modifications you made to your car all make it worse in snow. Stiffer suspension and a trunk full of heavy stereo equipment all detract from the car's natural ability in snow.

Dave, no sympathy
[/QUOTE]

For those of us in the Snow Belt, would it make any sense to remove some of the suspension mods for the winter? I have noticed that the RSB makes pavement separations and potholes very noticeable, but had not thought about it presenting a handling problem on ice/snow.
Old 01-12-2001, 05:37 PM

Maxima-wintery conditions

It sure ain't the car-you have to have your head checked-almost 100 mph in snowy conditions...common buster....
Old 01-12-2001, 07:42 PM

Eh man I'm happy that you and your sister are alive, but for the accident, it was obvious that it would happend, first of all, driving 90-95MPH on a snowe road, ( suicide is less painfull ) the worst of all is you think that you have a crapy car ( hello anybody there... eh smell the coffee ) I used to have a pathfinder and I live were winter and snow was invented the only guys who drive like this are the first to get off the road sometimes lukily like you. I just hope that you had your lesson, and please next time you drive that fast be shure to be alone in your car.

p.s: I drive an Se 2001 20th auto, and this car has no problem in winter, the real problem here is between the steering an the seat.

Take care anyway.

Double A
Old 01-12-2001, 08:51 PM

eh eh eh ah ah ah...

Originally posted by punkdork
Hey guys... lets ease up. Maybe he had the Ice Racing option on his Max. I hear its available in New Mexico only.
Hey Punkdork, your ironic answer made me laugh for 1/2 hour,just hope the guy got the message.

Take care eh eh eh...
Old 01-12-2001, 08:53 PM

Re: eh eh eh ah ah ah...

Originally posted by doublea
Originally posted by punkdork
Hey Punkdork, your ironic answer made me laugh for 1/2 hour,just hope the guy got the message.

Take care eh eh eh...
I wondered if anyone noticed.
Old 01-12-2001, 11:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwall
Originally posted by RBa
Ummm, 90 MPH in the snow ... I don't think the car's
the problem. I've got winter tires mounted on steel
wheels and I would never consider driving 90MPH in any
winter conditions.

[/QUOT

The stock tires do suck, but your speed was the problem.
Sorry, but this was your fault, not Nissan.
Old 01-12-2001, 11:39 PM

I don't care what yo drive quattro, truck, snow tires, studs, you have to slow down. 4 wheel drive does not so a damn bit of good on the highway all it does is allow you to accelerate faster and be cocky. I live in Iowa and about three weeks ago we had over two feet of snow on the ground and the roads were pretty icy. On a forty mile drive from the airport after Christmas I counted at least thirty cars in the ditch on I-35 more than 75% of them were 4wheel drive trucks and SUV's People who drive these think they are immune to weather and cause many accident's
Old 01-12-2001, 11:46 PM

Well Quattro/awd or 4wd will give you alot better traction but I don't think anyone was implying you could drive as if the roads were dry.

I totally agree that most SUV drivers are morons, they think they are in sports cars cause they can go fast. I'm not sure that Ford/Firestone is responsible in all the exploding tire deaths, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of driver error involved. Oh well.. I've gotten O/T.
Old 01-13-2001, 05:44 AM

Re: A Serious Question

Originally posted by MI2KSE

Dave, no sympathy

For those of us in the Snow Belt, would it make any sense to remove some of the suspension mods for the winter? I have noticed that the RSB makes pavement separations and potholes very noticeable, but had not thought about it presenting a handling problem on ice/snow.
[/QUOTE]

The first thing a road racer will do for rain is disconnect or soften all sway bars and soften the shocks - if adjustable. It is really true that a softer car works better on slippery roads. The limit is what is practical in the way of adjustment. PS - you would add air to the tires (keeps the tread open).

Dave