5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman RSB Installation Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 11:24 AM

Cattman RSB Installation Questions!!

Hello Folks:

I have some questions on installing the Cattman/Progress RSB.

(1) Is it better ( and easier ? ) to use ramps instead of jacking the car up ?

(2)If I use ramps, can I do the install without removing the wheels ? ( As in can I access the trailing arm etc easily ? )

(3)The jack I have today has a very limited lift range - it does not go "high" enough - I think it is only good for something like 14" ( not sure) - this is not good right ?

(4) How good are the Rhino Ramps ?
http://www.autobarn.net/usm11905.html
Is this clearance good enough ?

Sorry for asking too many questions !
Never have done this before.

thanks folks
Old 03-04-2003, 01:13 PM

Sorry, I don't know the answers to all your questions. However, I am about to undertake the same install and have read tons of posts on this issue. I'm sure you'll get the usual "Do a search" posts. I will tell that none of the posts I've read say with a definite yes that you can do this install using ramps. Most people jack the car up and then use jack stands. I am planning on trying to use ramps because that's what I have at home currently. I don't know about the Rhino ramps, but the ramps I saw at Wal-Mart look a lot like the Rhino's and only cost $29.99. Sorry, I can't be of more help. Hopefully, someone else can answer the rest of the questions.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Bandwagon Lover

1. IMO, yes
2. Yes
3. As long as you can get under the car with working room, you're OK, tho not safe IMO.
4. Mine are from K-Mart and work just fine.

RSB Install
Old 03-04-2003, 02:01 PM

1) No, ramps will require more time. Jackstands will save you time.(I used Rhino Ramps from Kragen to install mine and it took forever.

2) Yes, but since you won't be able to remove the wheels it will be very difficult, but not impossible to have easy access to the ABS brackets, emergency brake brackets, etc.

3) As long as your jack lifts the tire off the ground and you're able to remove the tire then its fine.

The main reason I used ramps was that I felt safer when I was working underneath the car. Thinking back I probably would have used jackstands. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info !

Audtatious & HSVMaxima:

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I will buy a set of ramps - maybe I can use it during oil changes as well.

One more question:
Do we need to buy something to block the wheels ? What do you guys use ?
Are these sold anywhere ?

Thanks again
Old 03-04-2003, 02:07 PM

I saw this post only after I replied !!

Hmmm ... so ramps are not a universal solution !
I will wait for more inputs before I decide one way or the other.

Given that this my 1st major attempt, I would rather get all my doubts clarified heh heh -- rather than screw up uch:

Originally posted by MaximaDisciple
1) No, ramps will require more time. Jackstands will save you time.(I used Rhino Ramps from Kragen to install mine and it took forever.

2) Yes, but since you won't be able to remove the wheels it will be very difficult, but not impossible to have easy access to the ABS brackets, emergency brake brackets, etc.

3) As long as your jack lifts the tire off the ground and you're able to remove the tire then its fine.

The main reason I used ramps was that I felt safer when I was working underneath the car. Thinking back I probably would have used jackstands. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Ramps worked fine for my installation and I had no problem reaching around the tire. Ramps are definately a 2-person product unless you want to miss the ramp or go over it and crunch a fender. Another problem with ramps is that they work fine for the back of the vehicle, but cannot be used on a lowered Max due to clearance...
Old 03-04-2003, 03:42 PM

Oh yeah, You might want to checkout this post....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=189641
Old 03-04-2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Audtatious
...Another problem with ramps is that they work fine for the back of the vehicle, but cannot be used on a lowered Max due to clearance...
Can they be used on the front of the vehicle if it is not lowered - stock ??
For oil changes and stuff like that ??

Thanks
Old 03-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Bandwagon Lover

I kind of doubt it. I don't think the 1-2" mattered that much.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:49 PM

max2k1SE,
Before I installed my Addco RSB I did a search one the .org and found out that an Addco tech had recommended that the bar should be installed WITH the car on ramps and NOT on jackstands! The suspension should be "loaded" and not just hanging on the springs/struts. So I used my ramps and chocked my front wheels with 4x4 pieces of wood. Successful install and fantastic handling results!
Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by EYE 35
max2k1SE,
Before I installed my Addco RSB I did a search one the .org and found out that an Addco tech had recommended that the bar should be installed WITH the car on ramps and NOT on jackstands! The suspension should be "loaded" and not just hanging on the springs/struts. So I used my ramps and chocked my front wheels with 4x4 pieces of wood. Successful install and fantastic handling results!
Hope this helps.
I found this on the Addco website as well under installation tips. Not only did they recommend you do the install on ramps but even said doing the install on stands is why some people have fit problems. I don't guess it matters as long as you get it on.