5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

help with springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

help with springs

i just got my eibachs and i was hopeing to go to the shop to night to put them on is there any thing special i need to know about installing them and do i have to trim the bump stop? will i need an alinement and can i drive it right after i put the springs on?

thanks
Rob
Old 03-04-2003, 01:44 PM

Re: help with springs

Originally posted by maxGTRvq35de
i just got my eibachs and i was hopeing to go to the shop to night to put them on is there any thing special i need to know about installing them and do i have to trim the bump stop? will i need an alinement and can i drive it right after i put the springs on?

thanks
Rob
I just got my eibachs on this past sat. I didnt trim the bump stop either. I didnt do an alignment either? A Tech told me it didnt look like i needed 1
Old 03-04-2003, 01:49 PM

Re: help with springs

Originally posted by maxGTRvq35de

thanks
Rob
I just got my eibachs on this past sat. I didnt trim the bump stop either. I didnt do an alignment either? A Tech told me it didnt look like i needed 1
Old 03-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Maxima Pilot

I'm curious why you -or a supposed tech- would

blatantly ignore the manufacturer's instructions. The Eibach instructions CLEARLY indicate to cut the front bump stops by 30 mm and the rear bump stops by 26 mm...why do you want to court disaster by ignoring this? They also say the car should indeed be aligned....why do you wish to ignore this too? Do you know something the Eibach engineers dont know or what?

Sorry if I sound harsh but it pizzes the heck out of me why folks just want to ignore the freaking instructions...is this a Macho thing or what? Dayaim!

Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 PM

Re: I'm curious why you -or a supposed tech- would

Originally posted by Galo
blatantly ignore the manufacturer's instructions. The Eibach instructions CLEARLY indicate to cut the front bump stops by 30 mm and the rear bump stops by 26 mm...why do you want to court disaster by ignoring this? They also say the car should indeed be aligned....why do you wish to ignore this too? Do you know something the Eibach engineers dont know or what?

Sorry if I sound harsh but it pizzes the heck out of me why folks just want to ignore the freaking instructions...is this a Macho thing or what? Dayaim!

What if u return to stock w/ trimmed bump stops
Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Maxima Pilot

Go back to stock = get new bump stops!

Old 03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Got Bent?

You should trim the bumpstops... I trimmed a ring off of each one. Also get an alignment after the springs settle... usually a few hundred miles.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
You should trim the bumpstops... I trimmed a ring off of each one. Also get an alignment after the springs settle... usually a few hundred miles.
Do bumpstops make it lower?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Maxima Pilot

Nope. The bumpstops are what softly limits

the maximum compression of the strut as it moves upward when compressed by a large bump. When I say softly it's because it's really nothing more than a thick piece of rubber (or urethane in some cars) that prevents the harsh metal to metal banging if the shock were to reach it full travel and the bump stop did not exist.

The reason why it's important to trim a Bump stop on a lowered car is because as u lower car you have also effectively reduced suspension travel. Meaning, you have reduced the spacing between the strut at rest and the point within the range of the suspension travel where the bump stop begins to snub the strut's upward movement, but by trimming the BS you regain some of the suspension travel you lost by lowering the car and more suspension travel = better ride.

Lower a car without trimming a BS and most every medium bump will force the strut into the BS and make the ride really rough.
Capish?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:43 PM

Re: Nope. The bumpstops are what softly limits

Originally posted by Galo
the maximum compression of the strut as it moves upward when compressed by a large bump. When I say softly it's because it's really nothing more than a thick piece of rubber (or urethane in some cars) that prevents the harsh metal to metal banging if the shock were to reach it full travel and the bump stop did not exist.

The reason why it's important to trim a Bump stop on a lowered car is because as u lower car you have also effectively reduced suspension travel. Meaning, you have reduced the spacing between the strut at rest and the point within the range of the suspension travel where the bump stop begins to snub the strut's upward movement, but by trimming the BS you regain some of the suspension travel you lost by lowering the car and more suspension travel = better ride.

Lower a car without trimming a BS and most every medium bump will force the strut into the BS and make the ride really rough.
Capish?
My mechanic said he didnt want to do it becuase it would return to stock when i sell
Old 03-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Trimming the bump stops can conceivably allow excessive travel by the shocks/struts, thus causing failure. If you are not using aftermarket shocks/struts, I would not suggest trimming the bump stops at all. I've put over 20k on my Eibachs without trimming the bump stops and only large road transients will cause it to hit.

Unless an engineer can guarantee the shocks/struts will stay within spec with the bump stops trimmed, I'm leaving it as is ( at least until the AGX's are finally released ).
Old 03-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks for all the help i actually am going to take it to a local shop that i used to take my camaro to and have them do it they are good and will know what to do. thanks again for all the help.