5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

1ST Oil Change @ 500 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 03:47 PM

1ST Oil Change @ 500 Miles

Just changed the oil for the first time at 500 miles. I was both pleased (that it was so easy) and surprised (that the oil came out jet black). The oil was so black it looked like it came out of a diesel.

It's great that the oil and filter are about 6 inches from each other. Car ramps made the job 10 minutes. I'm gonna change it again at 1000 miles, then at 2000, then take it to the dealer for the 3750 checkup. That's probably the last time it will see the dealer except for warranty work.

Any more of you guys have really dirty oil at this mileage? I always change the oil frequently during breakin. The car seems to run great and gets about 20MPG in mixed city highway driving, and I'm not being real easy on it either. No burnouts or anything extreme, just run it up every once in a while. RSB goes on tomorrow. Strut bar already on.

Probably put synthetic in at about 6000, and stay with synthetic from that point on. Any opinions on going with syn this soon? Supposedly the micropolishing makes it OK to go with syn sooner. I still like to break cars in with quality dino for the first couple changes.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:55 PM

my car has about 1800 miles on it, and wasn't aware we should be changing oil for frequently at the beginning. Also, the Max seems to get a lot worse gas mileage than my 3000GT. I'm driving it pretty normal. the 3000GT has a slightly larger tank, but from the way I judge gas mileage (too lazy to actually keep track), which is to keep to my routine. Every week, i spend about 1/2 tank driving around town at college, then use a 1/4 on the drive home and back, filling up on the way back to school. I've done this every week for the past 6 months. With the Max, its only tuesday and I'm already down to 1/2 tank.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:17 PM

Gas Mileage Calcs

The only real way to calculate gas mileage is to determine how many miles were driven via the trip odometer, divided by the exact amount of gallons to fill up. Then average over several tankfuls. REmember to reset your trip odometer after the fillup. I just do it in my head each time. A large change can alert you to problems with the car that may not be distinguishable by driving feel.

Lets see ... 288 miles ... 14 gallons ... about 20.5 MPG. That's close enough.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:43 PM

Re: 1ST Oil Change @ 500 Miles

Originally posted by lrickey
Probably put synthetic in at about 6000, and stay with synthetic from that point on. Any opinions on going with syn this soon? Supposedly the micropolishing makes it OK to go with syn sooner. I still like to break cars in with quality dino for the first couple changes.
That question will cause almost as big an argument as which brand is better

You certainly can't go wrong with waiting to switch, and in fact, Bill has some interesting results that may be a direct correlation to switching too soon. On the other hand, some cars come filled with synthetic from the factory with no issues and some owners switch right away and run the car for 180k with no issues either. I haven't seen any concrete evidence to support either side of the argument. Pick your poison
Old 03-04-2003, 07:46 PM
trey

Re: Re: 1ST Oil Change @ 500 Miles

Originally posted by iwannabmw

That question will cause almost as big an argument as which brand is better

You certainly can't go wrong with waiting to switch, and in fact, Bill has some interesting results that may be a direct correlation to switching too soon. On the other hand, some cars come filled with synthetic from the factory with no issues and some owners switch right away and run the car for 180k with no issues either. I haven't seen any concrete evidence to support either side of the argument. Pick your poison
From what I gathered, if your car came with synthetic then keep using it. If your car came with dino, then wait a couple thousand miles to change over. I"m changing mine over at about 6500 miles.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:17 PM

Synthetic Switchover

I agree ... I'm switching at around 6000. That should be plenty of time for things to seat. Crank and cams are microfinished out of the box so they should be OK right away, but the rings and valves need some miles to seat with the not so slippery dino oil.

Trey, what was the condition/color of your oil when you changed it the first few times. Was it very dirty like mine?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:34 PM
trey

Re: Synthetic Switchover

Originally posted by lrickey
I agree ... I'm switching at around 6000. That should be plenty of time for things to seat. Crank and cams are microfinished out of the box so they should be OK right away, but the rings and valves need some miles to seat with the not so slippery dino oil.

Trey, what was the condition/color of your oil when you changed it the first few times. Was it very dirty like mine?
Actually, i bought it with 5800 miles on it and i haven't changed the oil yet, sorry.