5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima 6 speed Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 05:51 PM

2002 Maxima 6 speed Hesitation

Has anyone had any success fixing the hesitation problem on their 2002/2003 Maxima 6 speeds ? How am I going to convince you that this problem is serious ? Can anyone explain explain why the resell value of the car is dropping like a rock ? Is anyone listening ?
Old 03-11-2003, 07:25 PM

1. What hesitation?

2. Give us a repeatable scenario where we can experience the problem.

3. Many of 02 and 03 Maximas made, probably enough to meet demand. If demand for new car is meet, demand for slightly used is going to be low. What, you bought this car as an investment ? That was dumb.

4. Not anymore.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:44 PM

Maxima 6 spd

I am not surprised by your reply. You are like most readers in this Forum: dumb suckers who have been taken for a ride by Nissan and don't even know it. Don't tell me anything about investing: I didn't buy the Nissan Maxima for investment. If I did, I could have bought any Porcshe 911 from 1980 and would not lose any money. But losing 50% on the Maxima after less than a year !! That maens the Maxima you revered so much is a stinker and I am sorry you don't even know it. But then, I don't expect you to understand this. This is too complicated for you to understand.

Enjoy your Maxima while it is still worth something. Remember this message when you trade in your car !!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:58 PM

Re: Maxima 6 spd

Originally posted by alui
I am not surprised by your reply. You are like most readers in this Forum: dumb suckers who have been taken for a ride by Nissan and don't even know it. Don't tell me anything about investing: I didn't buy the Nissan Maxima for investment. If I did, I could have bought any Porcshe 911 from 1980 and would not lose any money. But losing 50% on the Maxima after less than a year !! That maens the Maxima you revered so much is a stinker and I am sorry you don't even know it. But then, I don't expect you to understand this. This is too complicated for you to understand.

Enjoy your Maxima while it is still worth something. Remember this message when you trade in your car !!
I guess I'm a dumb sucker too. I'm not sure what hesitation problem you are talking about (auto / 6sp?) and is it when you are hitting the gas or when changing gears (people have referrred to how the Maxima holds the RPMs high after you put the clutch down as "hesitation".

As far as the resale value, people attuibute that to the constant insentives to buy brand new Nissans. It doesn't make much sense for people to buy used when they can get a great deal on new. However, this can work to your advantage if you are looking to get a used one yourself.

Do you own a Max or are you just looking? Or are you trying to tell us we're all stupid?

Having said that, I don't think that the reply to your original post was called for. You have valid questions (esp. with the search function disabled) but I don't think that wording came across as friendly. Not all people on this board are "dumb suckers" so if you truly want help with your questions, I would adjust your attitude.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:02 PM

Re: 2002 Maxima 6 speed Hesitation

Has anyone had any success fixing the hesitation problem on their 2002/2003 Maxima 6 speeds ? How am I going to convince you that this problem is serious ? Can anyone explain explain why the resell value of the car is dropping like a rock ? Is anyone listening ?
I personally kinda like hesitation, feels like boost kicks in

And yes Maximas resell value sucks pretty bad. Not sure why though.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: 2002 Maxima 6 speed Hesitation

Originally posted by Dany

I personally kinda like hesitation, feels like boost kicks in

And yes Maximas resell value sucks pretty bad. Not sure why though.
Actually, I think you are referring to the extra kick you get at 4,000 RPM right? That has something to do with the engine, I love it too!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2002 Maxima 6 speed Hesitation

Originally posted by spta97

Actually, I think you are referring to the extra kick you get at 4,000 RPM right? That has something to do with the engine, I love it too!
Yeah I like it too , but I was actually talking about hesitaion that happens when you floor it in a second gear, for like a second nothing happens and when power kicks in. It has to do with drive by wire throttle I think. I got used to it though and don't notice it that much anymore. Intake that I installed also increased throttle response, so that might be reason I am not noticing it that much anymore.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

As Dany mentioned, I think he's talking about the hesitation you get on a 6sp (autos don't seem to exhibit it) when you hit the gas, and the car hesitates for a second before starting to pull. I'm not sure it has to be in 2nd gear, but I guess it would be more apparent in that gear. It is due to drive-by-wire, and some people have had success reducing it by putting in aftermarket air intakes. Personally, my car doesn't seem to exhibit the hesitation in 2nd gear. When I stomp the gas, it goes that instance. If someone wants to provide a more concrete scenario to use to recreate this problem, I'll try it.

Resale sucks for a few reasons. First, the economy sucks, so people aren't spending money on cars as much period. Second, as a result of the first reason, prices on brand new cars have fallen, and on top of that, manufacturers use incentives and rebates to attract consumers. As a result, why buy a used Max for say $14K, when you can get a brand new one for $21K at 0.9% financing for 3yrs? The numbers used here are just an example, but that's how it works. Basically, there are more incentives for people to buy new than used, and as a result, the used market has suffered tremendously overall, not just for Nissans.

Also, for some stupid reason, Nissan decided to sell 2k2 Maximas to rental agencies, and as a result you have a huge influx of those cars available for low prices. If you keep your Max for over 4-5 years, it doesn't lose as much value as other cars, but if you're changing cars every 2-3 years, be prepared to take a hit on ANY car.

I don't even know who mentioned using a car as an investment--that's just plain retarded. Everyone knows it's an object that depreciates, and that's fine. It's a transportation tool at least, and a hobby at most. It's not an investment by any means.

The Maxima is a GREAT car, and is the best bang for the buck under $30K, so you can't call it a "stinker". Despite it's problems, find us a car that has the same amount of features, power, comfort, performance, style, for under $30K. I'm all ears.

And although the first response to your thread was uncalled for, but so was your response as well.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Maxima 6 spd

WTF are you talking about? A 1980 Porche 911 "whatever" turbo is NOT an investment. A 959 is however.

A Maxima is just that...A Maxima. If its a stinker...you got one too.

The hesitation is the difference between cable acutated accelerator and "drive-by-wire". From what I have heard...DBW sucks.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:25 PM

Don't worry Alui

My 2k2 6spd has this hesitation in a big way. It really aggravates me, but I know there is no "fix" as I am sure Nissan will claim to never have heard of this problem. My car does it in gears 2 through 4. The hesitation is not a "time lapse" due to the drive by wire. It is momentary LOSS of power followed by the desired acceleration. It is as if one were to let off the gas and then step on it. You do not have to floor it to experience it.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:56 PM

The hesitation is due to a combination of factors, not just the electronic throttle. The engine runs variable intake and exhaust systems, which are designed to open or close valves based on throttle input. So you not only have to wait for the engine to recognize that the gas pedal has been pressed, you then have to wait for it to activate the variables in the intake and exhaust. The combination of these things makes for noticeable hesitation.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Wat

The autos do exhibit the hesitation, but if you replace the intake (w/ an injen CAI for example) it goes away
Old 03-15-2003, 09:25 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by E55AMG2
The autos do exhibit the hesitation, but if you replace the intake (w/ an injen CAI for example) it goes away
I second this!!! I just installed an injen intake and the hesitation is completely gone. That's why I believe Dany is incorrect about it having to do with the drive by wire... can't see how replacing the intake could make a drive by wire problem go away. I think it has to do with the variable intake, but I don't know anything about cars so don't listen to me

Also, cars are not investments. Houses, property, 401Ks, offshore accounts.... those are investments. A car (a daily driver, anyway)should be no more an investment than a lawn mower. It's something to be "used" not bought to be resold