5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rough idle at startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did a search could not find it. My question is has anyone had this problem and if so know how to fix it.

Regardless of the temp or if the car is warm or cold when I start up the Max it misfires for about 15 seconds then smooths out. I talked to the dealer and they said that was normal. That never happend to our '96 GLE and I find it hard to believe a $28K car is suppose to misfire.

Has anyone had this problem, and do you know how I can fix it or what I should tell the dealer?

Mark
Old 01-13-2001, 09:34 AM
Got Bent?

Try this:

Rather than sticking the key in and cranking the engine right away. Turn the key to the on position and wait for the diagnostic lights to go out before starting up the engine (~5-7 seconds). Waiting that amount of time will allow the fuel pump to pressurize fully. Then crank it up, and see if the engine is still rough.
Old 01-13-2001, 09:43 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

alot of us have that problem

so I guess that makes it "normal". I have been on diag twice for that. There were no stored error codes so the dealer couldnt do anything (or wouldnt). Although they said I might have fuel fouled plugs. They said that as rich as the car runs at startup, it was easy to foul them. They offered to replace them. But where all weird about it, saying the dealership would pay for it because Nissan wouldnt. The car stopped doing it for awhile so I never rescheduled (actually this was at 2000 miles and I think they asked me to wait til 4000 as they thought it would go away with breakin... and I kinda forgot to go back).

Generally, it only happens if you start the car for a short time, then park it for 30 mins or more. My car also does this if it sits more than 72 hours. It doesnt do it on every startup. Most of the time its ok. Almost everyone agrees it gets better as the car gets broken in. Mine did. It was almost non existant past 7500 miles. but the 72 hour startups are still pretty rough.

if you see a 'service' light on the dash while this is happening, then the dealer has codes and can investigate. if not, then their hands are tied (by Nissan)
Old 01-13-2001, 10:14 AM

Thanks Tim/UMD

I will see if it goes away, I hate bringing the car into the dealer, they usually mess something else up trying to fix it. My car has 7000 miles on it now, I will wait and see what happends.

UMD, I'll try that, it just concerns me because my 96 GLE never missed a beat in 95,000 miles. I wonder why I would have to treat the 2k1 GLE any different? I sometimes wonder if the quality is better in a '96-'99 Max.

Mark
Old 01-13-2001, 11:33 AM

there are alot of differences from 96...

like intake, exhaust, emissions, and compression ratio...

also, check the obvious.. bad gas. Change stations and wait 2 tanks to decide. and of course get the good stuff 91+. If youre running lower than 91, than your just asking for that roughness (retarded timing).

Old 01-13-2001, 11:37 AM

Re: there are alot of differences from 96...

Originally posted by TimW

also, check the obvious.. bad gas. Change stations and wait 2 tanks to decide. and of course get the good stuff 91+. If youre running lower than 91, than your just asking for that roughness (retarded timing).

I run 87 octane at 5200 ft. The 91 octane just burns too slow up here in Colorado.

Mark
Old 01-13-2001, 12:11 PM

I dont know anything about that...

87 here would be a bad® thing... Are you sure you should be running that low? I think your 2K is alittle more picky on the gas than the 96 was.
Old 01-13-2001, 12:28 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: there are alot of differences from 96...

You are not supose to run lower than 91+ Octane. That is a main cause why your car will run rough.

Originally posted by Maximam
Originally posted by TimW

I run 87 octane at 5200 ft. The 91 octane just burns too slow up here in Colorado.

Mark

Old 01-13-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: there are alot of differences from 96...

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
You are not supose to run lower than 91+ Octane. That is a main cause why your car will run rough.
Not true, Russ. Here's what the owner's manual says:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

Unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Research octane number 91) can be used.

However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.
Old 01-13-2001, 01:08 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: there are alot of differences from 96...

Right but its not recommened. I used it for a short period to try out, and the car got extremly weak as well as when it started it knocked, also seemed to have a little more trouble to start.

Never again I will do that....hehee...

Originally posted by y2kse
Not true, Russ. Here's what the owner's manual says:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

Unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Research octane number 91) can be used.

However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.

Old 01-13-2001, 01:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: there are alot of differences from 96...

Right but its not recommened. I used it for a short period to try out, and the car got extremly weak as well as when it started it knocked, also seemed to have a little more trouble to start.

Never again I will do that....hehee...
I'm with you on that one, Russ. I always run 92 octane in my SE. But my wife's been running 89 octane in her 2K GXE since day one. She now has 20K miles on her car without a single hiccup, knock or rough start.

Go figure.
Old 01-13-2001, 03:13 PM

Octane

here in Colorado is 2 points lower than say California because it burns slower with the lack of pressure and oxygen density. We have 85-87-91 octane instead of 87-89-93. I would assume using 87 octane here is the same as using 89 at sea level. But then I read this and feel 87 octane in the Rockys is ok:

The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

But I am still in question. Maybe I should use 91 octane and that would be like using 93 octane at sea level?

What do you think?

Mark
Old 01-13-2001, 03:19 PM

Re: Octane

Originally posted by Maximam
here in Colorado is 2 points lower than say California because it burns slower with the lack of pressure and oxygen density. We have 85-87-91 octane instead of 87-89-93. I would assume using 87 octane here is the same as using 89 at sea level. But then I read this and feel 87 octane in the Rockys is ok:

The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

But I am still in question. Maybe I should use 91 octane and that would be like using 93 octane at sea level?

What do you think?

Mark
Try higher octane - it might help, your problem is certainly abnormal for a 2k max but the dealer will start with the fuel question anyway.

Dave
Old 01-13-2001, 07:00 PM

yes....

I think 2 tanks of 91 would be worth investigating.
Old 01-14-2001, 09:30 AM

I'll try it

and let you know.

Mark
Old 01-15-2001, 09:28 PM

high alt

at that alt they put stuff (ethnol?) in the gas to limit pollution, espically in the winter. Go with the high octane gas and check your air filter (may be dusty).