5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I'm in the market for used car, need some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 10:23 AM

I'm in the market for used car, need some thoughts

Heres the deal, my ideal car is 02 Max SE. But I cannot afford that. So here is my dilemna, I want a 5th gen (2000) but my friend has a 4th and he is very happy with it. He said I can easily modify 99 Max to 222HP and it weighs 200 lbs lighter.

I also like V6 Accords a lot. I know this is a Maxima forum so people would recommend the Max automatically. What should I do in this situation? thx
Old 03-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I'm in the market for used car, need some thoughts

Originally posted by gladiator
Heres the deal, my ideal car is 02 Max SE. But I cannot afford that. So here is my dilemna, I want a 5th gen (2000) but my friend has a 4th and he is very happy with it. He said I can easily modify 99 Max to 222HP and it weighs 200 lbs lighter.

I also like V6 Accords a lot. I know this is a Maxima forum so people would recommend the Max automatically. What should I do in this situation? thx
I would buy a 4th or a 5th gen. You can find 5th gens real cheap. Find a 5 speed if performance is your goal. IMO the automatic Max produces a more refined ride but the 5 speed hauls @ss. A 4th gen is my favorite looking Max and great to mod.

Accord? No comparison, drive both and you will see what I mean.

By the way, WELCOME! We hope you go with the Max!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:40 AM
lcf

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=196072
Old 03-13-2003, 10:42 AM

thanks, I am getting an automatic. Guess I'll do some test driving this weekend. I know performance wise Maxima > Accord. I am also concerned with reliability issues etc.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gladiator
thanks, I am getting an automatic. Guess I'll do some test driving this weekend. I know performance wise Maxima > Accord. I am also concerned with reliability issues etc.
You are looking at one of the most reliable cars on the road. This forum is critical of their cars so problems seem plenty when I feel thet are not. The 5th gen has a NICE interior and has plenty of power. Make sure you buy a great example. Used cars very greatly in quality so one Max may drive like $hit and one may be an absolute joy.

How much $$$ do you plan to spend?
Old 03-13-2003, 02:59 PM

If you're going for an automatic sedan, the 4G auto Max is not much quicker or faster than the 6G Accord V6 (mainly the 98-99 Accord V6). As a matter of fact, they're pretty even.

However, just keep in mind that the 6G Accord (not to mention Acura TL/CL) has recorded a number tranny problems.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:34 PM

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_read...ns/index.shtml
Check this out
Old 03-13-2003, 03:44 PM

I see.. these are some night insights.

I am willing to spend around 12g not that I will not go a tad higher if the condition of the car is good. I did not know 6G Accords have tranny problems.

I better start searching some of their forums lol. And oh btw I'm only 18 so I have limited car experience, you guys are indeed very helpful.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:10 AM

My ex drove a 97 accord...the car feels cheap compared to my 5th gen max. Kinda like a toy or something. The Maxima interior was much nicer The suspension was better on the accord stock though, it didn't lean as much in the corners, but that's nothing an RSB and FSTB can't fix. I think the Accord had a fully independent suspension, which the Maxima doesn't, which is why it handles better. The accord was really slow though (it was an EX, not a V6).
Old 03-14-2003, 08:22 AM

Heh I can tell you that there's no comparison between the Accord and the Maxima. There may be some competition if you go up and look at a TL Type S, but that's more expensive, and I could put up a strong argument that the Max beats it too.

The 5th gen Max has a very distinguished look, especially when it's blazing past you at high speeds, you can do some really nice mods to it. The 4th gen is more refined looking than the 5th gen, more bland as well though, doesn't stand out as much, unless you know alot about Nissan, or own one (everyone with 4th gens, I'm not bashing your cars, sit down )

The cars are very reliable, I've had my 2k for 40k and I've had no problems with it.

I would argue that the Nissan/Infiniti (definately including the max) interiors are the most well designed and esthetically pleasing interiors out there in sport/small luxury sport and even mid lux cars. I would challenge people to find nicer interiors under $40-50k.

The ride is very smooth, and you have a lot of torque off the line.. more than most other cars.. sensitive pedal helps in that "woah, this thing's got kick" feeling.

I definately reccomend the Max over anything in the price vacinity.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:05 AM

check repair history

I'm one of those owners someone mentioned that complains about the reliability of the Max.

IMO it is not that good for a nearly $30K car - in reality it may be more of a problem with poor dealer service than actual quality.

Having said that - I test drove every car that remotely resembles a sedan and hands down the Maxima was the most refined while still feeling like you were drving a car.

I could not even feel the car respond when I drove the Accord and the Camry is even worse - their engine and handling make the car feel like it is sliding on the road not actually grabbing it.

I would recommend checking the repair history if you can. While some people will tell you the 5th Gen Maxima has no reliability problems - we all know that is not the case. Be especially aware of the known transmission problem with the Maxima, primarily because of the potential for a large cost repair in the future.

For what it is worth - while I still complain about my car - my friends who drive a newer TL say they like my car better.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:06 AM

I've got a 2k3 SE and my friend has a 2000 Accord V6. They are kind of hard to compare since the Max is far superior in many ways, but the Accord to me is very "blah". Don't get me wrong, its a very nice car but it just lacks the personality of the Max. As far as the tranny problems (which is on many Honda vehicles), Honda is offering an extended 10 year warantee to combat it.

He has had virtully no problems since he got it, but if it were me I would prefer the Max for the same money. His car isn't fast (200hp) but it is quick. The Maxima has more power in that year and I think is a better all around car.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:13 AM

Drive both cars to determine which one you like better. With the money that you are willing to spend, you are going to find a lot more 4th gens than (2K and 2K1) 5th gens. Remember that Nissan bumped up the 3.0 to a 3.5 for the 2K2 models