5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lost power with Intake>

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 01:37 PM

Lost power with Intake>

I have a question, and I've been hearing conflicting things, so help me out here. So here it goes:

I have a 2001 Automatic Maxima SE with a JWT Intake. The question is, Am I lossing low-end power/tourqe with this Intake, but gaining in the top-end? I've also heard that because of the engine heat generated, and the fact the intake is located behind the radiator, it actually makes me lose power, because its pushing in "hot" air in the engine, so your better off the the stock airbox, cause it allows in more "cool" air to flow thru.
Also I heard, there is "NO" difference in power gains over stock, it just sounds like it does (the grawl at WOT), but thats it!

Or is all this BS, and the JWT Intake is worth it overall?

Please tell me what the real deal is, should I leave it in, or take it out (Low end power/tourqe is important to me!!!)

Thanks for you feedback!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:55 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Lost power with Intake>

Originally posted by Clean01MaxSE
I have a question, and I've been hearing conflicting things, so help me out here. So here it goes:

I have a 2001 Automatic Maxima SE with a JWT Intake. The question is, Am I lossing low-end power/tourqe with this Intake, but gaining in the top-end? I've also heard that because of the engine heat generated, and the fact the intake is located behind the radiator, it actually makes me lose power, because its pushing in "hot" air in the engine, so your better off the the stock airbox, cause it allows in more "cool" air to flow thru.
Also I heard, there is "NO" difference in power gains over stock, it just sounds like it does (the grawl at WOT), but thats it!

Please tell me what the real deal is, should I leave it in, or take it out (Low end power/tourqe is important to me!!!)

Thanks for you feedback!
enjoy, and thank him for a job well done

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=stock+wai+cai
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 PM

Re: Lost power with Intake>

Originally posted by Clean01MaxSE

Thanks for you feedback!
I have similar setup as you but I have midepipe as well. How big is you JWT cone filter? I heard larger cone filters will make you loose more low end torque, but gain more I think at the top.
My intake has a K&N filter, and it meduim size.
I didn't notice any low end loss when I installed the intake. It might be due that 2002 Max has so much torque at the wheels anyways.