5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cigarette Lighter and Power outlet problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 01:10 PM

Cigarette Lighter and Power outlet problem

Hi, I have a Nissan Maxima 2000.

Any idea why my car's cigarette lighter and power outlet don't work. I using the power outlet for recharging my cellphone. I made sure that the problem wasn't with the cellphone or the charger since it works in other cars.

I have already checked the fuse box, and all the fuses seem to be ok.

Just to be sure do any of you know which particular fuse is used for the lighter and the back power outlet.

If the fuse isn't the problem, anyone else know what could the problem be?

Thanks a lot
Sam
Old 03-15-2003, 01:21 PM

Re: Cigarette Lighter and Power outlet problem

Originally posted by sam930
Hi, I have a Nissan Maxima 2000.

Any idea why my car's cigarette lighter and power outlet don't work. I using the power outlet for recharging my cellphone. I made sure that the problem wasn't with the cellphone or the charger since it works in other cars.

I have already checked the fuse box, and all the fuses seem to be ok.

Just to be sure do any of you know which particular fuse is used for the lighter and the back power outlet.

If the fuse isn't the problem, anyone else know what could the problem be?

Thanks a lot
Sam
I had the same problem, but it was just a fuse. The fuses for the lighter and power outlets are down and to the left of your steering wheel. Pull the panel off and there is a list of which fuses are for what on the back.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Wat

Re: Cigarette Lighter and Power outlet problem

Check the back of the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. I had the same problem and it was just a fuse. Sometimes plugs accidentally ground out the system (my Valentine One did that once) and blow the fuse. Go ahead and look at that panel, find out which fuse, then replace it. Good luck man
Old 03-15-2003, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: Cigarette Lighter and Power outlet problem

Originally posted by E55AMG2
Check the back of the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. I had the same problem and it was just a fuse. Sometimes plugs accidentally ground out the system (my Valentine One did that once) and blow the fuse. Go ahead and look at that panel, find out which fuse, then replace it. Good luck man
Thanks. I was wondering why my cellphone wouldn't charge.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:24 PM

I just called Nissan about the owners manual warnings about the cigarette lighter socket and power outlet in my 2k3. Have you read the manual warnings? They say to only use the cigarette lighter socket for the cigarette lighter, not accessories. THEN, it says to not use the power outlet when the headlights, rear window defroster, or air conditioner are on! That's totally useless.

So, the Nissan rep said that "prolonged use" of the power outlet could cause problems, like draining the battery or affecting other equipment. That seems totally stupid. I think it's more cover their butt than an engineering reason.

No other car I've had says don't use the power outlet when it's hot (air conditioner), cold (defroster), nighttime (headlights), or raining (headlights, again). That just about covers all the times I'm driving!
Old 03-16-2003, 08:15 AM

I did open the hood of the car, and saw the fuse box on the drivers side. The labelling on the fuse box doesn't specifically say which fuse is for the power outlet. It's got labelling for audio, speakers, lights, etc, but there's nothing for power outlet.

Does anyone know here know whats the name of the fuse that's for the power outlet?

Thanks a ton!
Old 11-13-2021, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cigarette Lighter and Power Outlet Problem

Originally Posted by sam930
I did open the hood of the car, and saw the fuse box on the drivers side. The labelling on the fuse box doesn't specifically say which fuse is for the power outlet. It's got labelling for audio, speakers, lights, etc, but there's nothing for power outlet.

Does anyone know here know whats the name of the fuse that's for the power outlet?

Thanks a ton!
The fuse box is located in the car, driver's side, by your left knee. That's the fuse box you should be looking at.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:24 AM

my car actually needed a new outlet at one point, I hard wired mine so I can charge my phone and other things while the car is off.