5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pinging causing loss of HP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 07:53 PM

Pinging causing loss of HP?

I raced my friends 2001 Mustang tonight. 4.6 liter. LOST HORRIBLY! Are we supposed to keep up with them? My car PINGS like a *****. I bought knew sparkplugs today, But i couldn't install them because i didnt' have the right tools. I know that has nothing to do with the pinging, but my SES light wont' come on so Nissan won't service it. Please let me know what you guys would do if you had this problem. Thanks

-Pat
Old 03-15-2003, 07:55 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Re: Pinging causing loss of HP?

Originally posted by Titleistprov21
I raced my friends 2001 Mustang tonight. 4.6 liter. LOST HORRIBLY! Are we supposed to keep up with them? My car PINGS like a *****. I bought knew sparkplugs today, But i couldn't install them because i didnt' have the right tools. I know that has nothing to do with the pinging, but my SES light wont' come on so Nissan won't service it. Please let me know what you guys would do if you had this problem. Thanks

-Pat
i don't think you'd hang with it anyways if you weren't pinging
Old 03-15-2003, 08:13 PM

-Pat
did you race from a stop or a roll?
Old 03-15-2003, 08:21 PM

Depends on the driver! HP and weight of cars would equal or come close....I think!
Old 03-15-2003, 09:27 PM

Your pinging is coming from a bad coil(s). Go hit the TSB and FAQ stickie on your way to the dealership.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2003, 06:58 AM

I've brought my car to Baystate Nissan and told them about the pinging. They claim bad coils has nothing to do wiht engine pinging. We raced from a stop, and roll. He beat me everytime, and im a better driver than he is. I have greddy, and frankencar. Will the shop replace my coils even though my SES light isn't on? I can buy the coils at wholesale, but is it hard to install? Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've brought my car to Baystate Nissan and told them about the pinging. They claim bad coils has nothing to do wiht engine pinging.
Baystate Nissan is wrong . . . dead wrong. The NUMBER ONE symptom of a bad coil is pinging and loss of engine power. How do I know? Because it happened on both my 2K SE and my wife's 2K GXE. Neither of our cars threw SES lights. And Nissan replaced all 6 coils in both of our cars under warranty.

If you have a coil problem . . . and that's exactly what it sounds like you have . . . replacing your spark plugs won't stop the pinging or restore your power. I'd suggest you follow 2kSeattleMax's advice instead.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by y2kse

Baystate Nissan is wrong . . . dead wrong. The NUMBER ONE symptom of a bad coil is pinging and loss of engine power. How do I know? Because it happened on both my 2K SE and my wife's 2K GXE. Neither of our cars threw SES lights. And Nissan replaced all 6 coils in both of our cars under warranty.

If you have a coil problem . . . and that's exactly what it sounds like you have . . . replacing your spark plugs won't stop the pinging or restore your power. I'd suggest you follow 2kSeattleMax's advice instead.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:20 AM

What is the TSB for the coils? I used to have it, but i lost it. Thanks guys for all your help
Old 03-16-2003, 10:14 AM

What is the TSB for the coils? I used to have it, but i lost it. Thanks guys for all your help
I'm not in front of my computer. Otherwise I'd give you the TSB number. But it should still be in the TSB sticky post at the top of this forum.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:21 AM

check the NHSTA

Old 03-16-2003, 10:24 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

http://u1.lvcm.com/adman/MaximaOrg/T...01-059__1_.jpg

http://u1.lvcm.com/adman/MaximaOrg/T...01-059__2_.jpg

Credit: ADMAN
Old 03-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I brought mine in last thursday to the dealership for the same problem and told them i had pinging and loss of power and he said definately the coils. He then told me it was covered under the 3/36 warranty which is over for me and that they cannot replace them until the SES comes on. Im ****ed because they want 330 for the coils alone without the labor so im gonna be forced to buy the coils and do em myself.....good luck pat, lemme know how u make out so i can fix mine when i come home from skool....

-Steve
Old 03-16-2003, 02:41 PM

I raced my friends 2001 Mustang tonight. 4.6 liter. LOST HORRIBLY! Are we supposed to keep up with them?
No.... unless he is auto.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:45 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
He then told me it was covered under the 3/36 warranty which is over for me and that they cannot replace them until the SES comes on.
Not true, they just have to hear pinging or go by what you tell them (that you hear pinging and you are using prem gas). Read the TSB, tell them to read it as well.. Its one of the few (if not the only) TSBs that they can go on your word alone.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by TimW

Not true, they just have to hear pinging or go by what you tell them (that you hear pinging and you are using prem gas). Read the TSB, tell them to read it as well.. Its one of the few (if not the only) TSBs that they can go on your word alone.
very interesting. I mentioned that i knew there was a TSB out for this problem. I remember him telling me that they have had a ton of maximas in for the ignition coil problem and maybe that could be the reason why he needs to pull the code to replace them since they are doing so many?? I dunno but im still pretty mad about it because i gotta drop $330 when there should be a recall on this in my opinion..... O well, next time i go(which wont be for a month since im back at school) ill bring a printed out copy of the TSB and see what happens but i still wont be covered under warranty or will i? Thanks Tim.

-Steve
Old 03-16-2003, 10:03 PM

I had to fight so long and hard to get this done BEFORE the TSB was released.

I finally was fortunate enough to stumble across an mechanic who could replicate the problem. What he had me do was drive up a huge hill...while trying to maintain a constant rpm at about 2500. Once the engine is under a load....the ping and hesitation becomes noticeable and easy to replicate.

Not sure where you live (Texas...no hills LOL!), but if you can find a big enough incline you can replicate the problem for them.

TSB in hand is like ammo!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by 2kSeattleMax
I had to fight so long and hard to get this done BEFORE the TSB was released.
Agreed. In my case, I was never able to get my engine to detonate in front of a service tech. I just kept bringing the car in over and over and over again. Finally, I threatened to replace all of the coils at my own expense. At that point, my Service Writer told me to hold on. He then called NNA and pleaded my case. The net result is that Nissan replaced all of my coils under warranty.

It ain't what you know . . . it's who you know that counts.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

DaveB gave me a good tip, find an onramp with a retaining wall on either side. Its the best place to hear/replicate the pinging.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:25 AM

Pinging is a major HP robber.

If the knock sensor sends a knock count to the ECU that exceeds a threshold value, the ECU will start retarding timing until the knock counts come down to an acceptable range. I think for most cars that's about a reading of 6-10 HZ or so from the knock sensor (6-10 pings per second). Anything above that though, the ECU yanks timing which will horribly affect HP. I think some ECUs may even try to richen up the mixture way above stoich, which robs even more power.

The ECU is pulling timing to try and save the motor, as you prolly already know, pinging is very harsh on the pistons. If pre-ignition (i.e. detonation) is bad enough, just one occurance can take out a ring-land or melt a hole in the top of the piston. It's in your best interest not to let a condtion like this carry on for too long. You might want to add that to your arsenal when you talk to the service manager, maybe letting them know that you have concerns that this will lead to a major premature failure in the motor may motivate them and/or nissan to take action now before it's too late. You may need to replicate the problem with them though and there is some great advice in this thread on how to do that.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by itdood
Pinging is a major HP robber.

If the knock sensor sends a knock count to the ECU that exceeds a threshold value, the ECU will start retarding timing until the knock counts come down to an acceptable range. I think for most cars that's about a reading of 6-10 HZ or so from the knock sensor (6-10 pings per second). Anything above that though, the ECU yanks timing which will horribly affect HP. I think some ECUs may even try to richen up the mixture way above stoich, which robs even more power.

The ECU is pulling timing to try and save the motor, as you prolly already know, pinging is very harsh on the pistons. If pre-ignition (i.e. detonation) is bad enough, just one occurance can take out a ring-land or melt a hole in the top of the piston. It's in your best interest not to let a condtion like this carry on for too long. You might want to add that to your arsenal when you talk to the service manager, maybe letting them know that you have concerns that this will lead to a major premature failure in the motor may motivate them and/or nissan to take action now before it's too late. You may need to replicate the problem with them though and there is some great advice in this thread on how to do that.
well thats nice hearing that my motor could be damaged because of this crap. Ive had the problem for a while now and nissan doesnt seem to want any part of helping me out. I talked to the head service manager twice about this problem alone, not to mention the numerous visits about the transmission, and they dont seem to care. Seriously if this has the potential to damage the motor why the f*ck doesnt nissan recall this sh|t. Didnt audi/VW have this same problem with some of their cars and they had a recall on all the affected cars. Why the F*CK cant nissan do this too. Unbelievable....I hope my motor is fuct up because im seriously sick of all the problems with this car. If the resale on these cars wasnt so bad id unload this thing so fast.....If they dont wanna help me next time i stop in im seriously thinking about going to a BMW, im sick of this sh|tty service.....I dunno...i love my nissan alot and im probably just talkin out of my a$$ when i say i wanna sell my baby....but this is rediculous.

-Steve
Old 03-17-2003, 04:45 PM

Detonation is an unacceptable condition, scmaxima2k. You MUST continue to pursue this even if it means having to replace the coils yourself.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by scmaxima2k

well thats nice hearing that my motor could be damaged because of this crap. Ive had the problem for a while now and nissan doesnt seem to want any part of helping me out. I talked to the head service manager twice about this problem alone, not to mention the numerous visits about the transmission, and they dont seem to care. Seriously if this has the potential to damage the motor why the f*ck doesnt nissan recall this sh|t. Didnt audi/VW have this same problem with some of their cars and they had a recall on all the affected cars. Why the F*CK cant nissan do this too. Unbelievable....I hope my motor is fuct up because im seriously sick of all the problems with this car. If the resale on these cars wasnt so bad id unload this thing so fast.....If they dont wanna help me next time i stop in im seriously thinking about going to a BMW, im sick of this sh|tty service.....I dunno...i love my nissan alot and im probably just talkin out of my a$$ when i say i wanna sell my baby....but this is rediculous.

-Steve
I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak. The ECU is doing its job in keeping conditions as safe as possible. But you really should tell the service manager that you are absolutely sure the motor is detonating, and ask for it to be documented to cover your butt (so if anything does go wrong related to it in the future you can fall back on the documentation), since they aren't taking your concerns seriously. I think you have enough info in this thread to convince them otherwise.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 PM

I got the same problem with my car. Can I take the car to the dealer with the Ypipe and the intake or should i take it out?