5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car dynoed/tuned at 5psi with t3/t4b Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 08:22 AM

Kinda why I inquired about the pump.....looks like his pump isn't keeping a constant fuel pressure. You guys have alot more experience in this area than I do.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I'm really confused on why your torque takes a dive after 3900.
Cause it was trying to replicate the stock market and how much I lose in it over the past 2yrs. Pretty accurate line I must say

Well getting the FP gauge is not the problem, Im already getting that, I just took the two gauges off Emax's hands. So when I get them we will install them and see.

Now Nigel, If it was a fuel pump issue then I would not be seeing over 100+psi correct? Now if I do see over 100+ psi does that mean everything is working fine and I could be maxxing out the injectors? This is where Im confused if all the gauges show what they are supposed to.

Dixit
Old 03-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Now Nigel, If it was a fuel pump issue then I would not be seeing over 100+psi correct? Now if I do see over 100+ psi does that mean everything is working fine and I could be maxxing out the injectors? This is where Im confused if all the gauges show what they are supposed to.

Dixit
Correct on both questions, but you have not maxed out your injectors (based on all the dynos by members on this forum who are running at/over/close to 10 psi).
Old 03-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

This just hit me... are you leaking fuel (i.e. fuel lines have cracks or hose clamp isn't tight enough)?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
This just hit me... are you leaking fuel (i.e. fuel lines have cracks or hose clamp isn't tight enough)?
Just went outside to take a break from work and checked the lines, no visible fuel leaks or fuel smell. I will double check the hose clamps tonight.

Dixit
Old 03-21-2003, 09:35 AM

Just went outside to take a break from work and checked the lines, no visible fuel leaks or fuel smell. I will double check the hose clamps tonight.

Dixit

I am late as hell but I just finish reading all this, @ 5psi the 8:1 disc should more then fine for your setup, not unless I am missing information. Not unless turbos require higher PSI for fuel pressure. What type of fuel pump did you install in vehicle? I know for a fact I have the 8:1 and the walbro GSS342 and it was making the car run very very rich between 3K-6K. The same should apply to you @5psi which is half of 10PSI. Unfortunately not there to help you diagnose the problem. Ask one of the members nearby that have a vortech FMU look at their hoses and ensure your hoses are running exactly alike. Also when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 03-21-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by JAY25

I am late as hell but I just finish reading all this, @ 5psi the 8:1 disc should more then fine for your setup, not unless I am missing information. Not unless turbos require higher PSI for fuel pressure. What type of fuel pump did you install in vehicle? I know for a fact I have the 8:1 and the walbro GSS342 and it was making the car run very very rich between 3K-6K. The same should apply to you @5psi which is half of 10PSI. Unfortunately not there to help you diagnose the problem. Ask one of the members nearby that have a vortech FMU look at their hoses and ensure your hoses are running exactly alike. Also when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
I havent changed out my fuel filter, all I know in the 5th gens they are part of the entire plastic housing that is in your tank, so you have to replace that entire thing. Considering I only got 16k miles on my car didnt think it was necessary when I put the GSS342 in there months ago.

Whats wierd is that at 5psi without any help from the safc, the a/f is perfect from 12.5:1 to 12:1 all the way to redline from 3krpm. This is with the 10:1 FMU disc. That post earlier where I show the two pictures of the FMU and fuel lines is there if you wanted to make sure the lines are correct, I believe they are, a few people have confirmed that.

I think this all comes down to getting the Fuel pressure gauge installed to see what the hell is going on. That is coming this weekend or early next week.

Also dont know if Kirk told you, but I may be moving to ATL in a month.

Dixit
Old 03-21-2003, 12:00 PM

Sorry for this late reply, I have been travelling a lot!

Our fuel system is good to about 380-400 horsepower depending on how much pressure you put through the rail. I would not think you are maxing out your injectors. Kev has answered both your questions.

@ 117 psi your flow rate should be about 445 cc/min which should be good for about 400 HP before you max out and you are no where near that. I am still puzzled by your graph, the torque and HP seem to be reversed! If it was reversed it would make sense!

Is this a custom kit? Who installed this kit for you, anyway? They should troubleshoot it for you!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:05 PM
vqman

looking at that dyno, I'm still shifting at 6000rpm...will never see 257whp...torque band is just right shifting around 5700-6000rpm

-vq

Old 03-21-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Sorry for this late reply, I have been travelling a lot!

Our fuel system is good to about 380-400 horsepower depending on how much pressure you put through the rail. I would not think you are maxing out your injectors. Kev has answered both your questions.

@ 117 psi your flow rate should be about 445 cc/min which should be good for about 400 HP before you max out and you are no where near that. I am still puzzled by your graph, the torque and HP seem to be reversed! If it was reversed it would make sense!

Is this a custom kit? Who installed this kit for you, anyway? They should troubleshoot it for you!
Hal installed it. Custom kit. Believe me we are going to trouble shoot what the issue here is. Im started to lean maybe the fuel pump is bad.

Dixit
Old 03-21-2003, 09:50 PM

I havent changed out my fuel filter, all I know in the 5th gens they are part of the entire plastic housing that is in your tank, so you have to replace that entire thing. Considering I only got 16k miles on my car didnt think it was necessary when I put the GSS342 in there months ago.

Whats wierd is that at 5psi without any help from the safc, the a/f is perfect from 12.5:1 to 12:1 all the way to redline from 3krpm. This is with the 10:1 FMU disc. That post earlier where I show the two pictures of the FMU and fuel lines is there if you wanted to make sure the lines are correct, I believe they are, a few people have confirmed that.

I think this all comes down to getting the Fuel pressure gauge installed to see what the hell is going on. That is coming this weekend or early next week.

Also dont know if Kirk told you, but I may be moving to ATL in a month.

Dixit

Hmmm sweet, if your stuff is not fixed we can take a closer look and see what in the hell is going on with your car. Its a brand new car 16K you just barely broke in the motor