5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

test drive without permission

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

test drive without permission

i had a problem with the check engine light on my 2003 maxima with 1200 miles on it. i did what the manual said to do,check gas cap and continue till light go out.the light did not go out with 100 miles of driving.so i took the car to the dealer.they said they will need it all day.so left it there.at about 5:30 pm they called and said they started on it should be finished the next morning they will call.i did not wait for the call i instead went to the dealer at 0900. the car was not in the bay and the car was not in the parking outside.i ask the service adviser where is my car. he said the service manager took it for a test drive. i ask how long he has been gone he said about 15 minutes ago. so i ask what time is he do back," dont know ",will is he going to be back within half hour, he didnt know. im starting to get ****ed, someone i dont know is driving my new maxima.he shows up after 20 minutes. i did not say a word . the clown put 40 miles on my car.all he needed to do was let car run because all it was with the emission. i file complaint with nissan.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Sanduguero

Re: test drive without permission

40 miles?....

What the F&*&. i will raise some hell in that dealer...40 miles i think he just cruise in your car...
Old 03-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: test drive without permission

Originally posted by playero
40 miles?....

What the F&*&. i will raise some hell in that dealer...40 miles i think he just cruise in your car...
Old 03-16-2003, 07:46 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you got off easy.. somebody had their new car used for the dealer's parts running car all day. They managed to tip a battery being carried in the trunk. They said nothing. The member (I cant recall who) picked up the car and immediately smelled it and it began burning his eyes. They denied knowing what it was. He then found the wet carpet where they had tried to hose out the acid. Of course the carpet was ruined already. They finally fessed up and had to replace the carpet, but I think they refused to do anything about the paint and spare that also had acid on it. Pretty sure he complained as well.. nothing was ever done about it.

nice huh? welcome to Nissan.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by TimW
you got off easy.. somebody had their new car used for the dealer's parts running car all day. They managed to tip a battery being carried in the trunk. They said nothing. The member (I cant recall who) picked up the car and immediately smelled it and it began burning his eyes. They denied knowing what it was. He then found the wet carpet where they had tried to hose out the acid. Of course the carpet was ruined already. They finally fessed up and had to replace the carpet, but I think they refused to do anything about the paint and spare that also had acid on it. Pretty sure he complained as well.. nothing was ever done about it.

nice huh? welcome to Nissan.
Like someone said, I would definatly raise hell.. if they didnt fix it 100 percent, as crazy as I am, I would have come back at a later date and put some dents on their new cars... but dont do that... just get it fixed. PS dont know how much of a complaint to nissan would do.. please update us.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:17 PM

Wow.. that blows..

I was pulling out of my local nissan dealer yesterday when all the sudden I hear someone putting down some serious rubber. I look in my rear view mirror and it's a service guy taking a maxima on a test drive. I changed lanes and got a good look at him. Needless to say I will never take my car there for any type of service.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:32 PM

I think it's normal for them to take the car out for a test drive. However, 40 miles is quite excessive.
2 miles should be ample!

It's like the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 03-16-2003, 09:35 PM

Old 03-16-2003, 09:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. Nissan will do nothing but frus-the fuuk-trate out of you! Just don't take your car back there. They will remember you and only mess it up more. I am convinced that my car had way more problems when nissan worked on it!

There is a guy at my service center that puts down rubber with every car he services when he is taking it out off the bay!!! He throws the car in drive while rolling backwards and then stomps. Wouldn't you know he was the one that got to service my car. When he was done I timed him and as soon as he backed my car off the rack I stepped in front of him put out my hand and shouted don't even think about it!

He knew exactly what I was talking about. I was asked to leave the bay and we had a heated exchange outside and inside the office where you pick-up your key. The fokkers had the nerve to tell me I had no business being in the bay and if I got hurt blah, blah, blah...

I said and he has a right to put down rubber like he pays my ****** car not every month? I said, I know this is a mickey mouse outfit but try put a leash on your monkeys when they work on my car....

If you can stick it to them, drop a crowd pleaser!

sorry for the rant...
SHIFT_woosh
Old 03-16-2003, 10:08 PM
SoloMaxima

is 3 miles for a test drive by the service guy normal..??

Old 03-16-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by SoloMaxima
is 3 miles for a test drive by the service guy normal..??
I personally think 3 miles is "acceptable" depending on what he's checking for. If he's checking your brakes, it's a little long, if he's checking say you're variable valve timing and needs to get over 5000 RPMs he'll need to warm your car up and find a nice open road or get on the highway for one exit and back (assuming he doesn't want to take it up to 60 mph on a regular road and risk getting a nasty speeding ticket). You can test the vvt in first but it's so quick you can't get a good feel, second is better.
Basically, anything that needs to be checked at highway speeds require at least 3 miles in most cases (getting to the highway, go for one exit and back).
Anyway, that's my personal thought.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:04 PM

40 miles is ridiculas.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:55 AM
The Definitive AE Master

sorry to hear about your problem. my dealer always takes the car out for 5-15 miles no matter what i'm in for. But they always fix all my problems and tsbs, so I don't say much
Old 03-17-2003, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by maximaman14
Wow.. that blows..

I was pulling out of my local nissan dealer yesterday when all the sudden I hear someone putting down some serious rubber. I look in my rear view mirror and it's a service guy taking a maxima on a test drive. I changed lanes and got a good look at him. Needless to say I will never take my car there for any type of service.
I saw that happen once also. A 3.5 Alty just came off the truck and this kid working at the dealership gunned it around the parking lot a few times, took it out onto the main road, came back in about 5 mins, then gunned it again around the parking lot! Whatta p***k!!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is why I don't let anyone touch my car! If you want it done right DO IT YOURSELF!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by woosh
Sorry to hear about your experience. Nissan will do nothing but frus-the fuuk-trate out of you! Just don't take your car back there. They will remember you and only mess it up more. I am convinced that my car had way more problems when nissan worked on it!

There is a guy at my service center that puts down rubber with every car he services when he is taking it out off the bay!!! He throws the car in drive while rolling backwards and then stomps. Wouldn't you know he was the one that got to service my car. When he was done I timed him and as soon as he backed my car off the rack I stepped in front of him put out my hand and shouted don't even think about it!

He knew exactly what I was talking about. I was asked to leave the bay and we had a heated exchange outside and inside the office where you pick-up your key. The fokkers had the nerve to tell me I had no business being in the bay and if I got hurt blah, blah, blah...

I said and he has a right to put down rubber like he pays my ****** car not every month? I said, I know this is a mickey mouse outfit but try put a leash on your monkeys when they work on my car....

If you can stick it to them, drop a crowd pleaser!

sorry for the rant...
SHIFT_woosh

Although the younger the guys are usually the more they beat the $hit out of the cars. It is a sucky job and it's one of the only benefits of working there. I worked at a prep center when I was just out of high school and I used to beat these cars like they did something wrong. Looking back I realize it was a mistake, but youth, unsafe & unhealthy working conditions, and $5.50 / hour will make you do some pretty crazy stuff.

This is why I hate bringing my car to the dealer. Other than oil changes but now I'm thinking of doing that myself.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:21 AM

**** i would be ****tin ****ed the worst thing about Nissan? their ****ing ******* service i say go to them and tell to go **** off
Old 03-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by slickrick
40 miles is ridiculas.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:24 AM
vqman

40 miles is absurd!

got a story though, when I was selling Nissans (1998) every other day or so we would re-arrange the lot. I was supposed to get in a car, move it to a different side of the lot (make the lot look like there's a bunch of fresh new cars out there) and I got in a used 1996 GXE 5-speed...my first manualy tranny Maxima experience...before that I had only driven automatics...
instead of just moving it to the other side of the lot, I took it out on the street, caught a scratch from 1st to 2nd... never looked back! fell completely in love with the Maxima..

the sales manager just rolled his eyes...

-vq

Old 03-17-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by VQMAN
40 miles is absurd!

got a story though, when I was selling Nissans (1998) every other day or so we would re-arrange the lot. I was supposed to get in a car, move it to a different side of the lot (make the lot look like there's a bunch of fresh new cars out there) and I got in a used 1996 GXE 5-speed...my first manualy tranny Maxima experience...before that I had only driven automatics...
instead of just moving it to the other side of the lot, I took it out on the street, caught a scratch from 1st to 2nd... never looked back! fell completely in love with the Maxima..

the sales manager just rolled his eyes...

-vq
When I used to work at a Jaguar/Roll Royce/Bentley/Lotus/Aston Martin/Range Rover dealership back in 1994 I was given an oversized jumpsuit and when I got out of one of the Jag XJS coupes once (around 5:30 PM) as I was parking it for the night in the garage my jumpsuit got hooked on the metal bar (the half inch one that goes along the car) and pulled it all the way back. It was just sticking out by about 15 inches. Didn't look pretty. Luckily there was one mechanic left so I quickly went to the service manager to tell him what happened (wasn't totally my fault, the jumpsuit was way oversized and the pockets were hanging out). The service manager got the last mechanic to quickly replace the bar (lucky they had some in stock in parts). By 6PM it was all fixed like nothing happened and the customer picked up his car the next morning. Phew...
I did sometimes take the Rolls and Bentleys out for a few miles to the "rich" area but they were never customer cars and I never drove them hard. Just cruised in them making sure no one from the outside could see my green jumpsuit hehe. I did punch the owner's Bentley Turbo once to see what it could do (I was asked to refuel it). I almost lost control of the car when some kids on the sidewalk on their bikes were pushing each other and one fell on the road and I had to avoid him. If you've ever done any sudden moves with a Bentley you know the suspension is so bouncy you can lose it quite easily.
I also drove some Lotus' and a 1973 Jag E-type. Nice cars. Never got to drive an Aston Martin though..they didn't have any the time I was there. I was 18 and this was a summer job