5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$27,585 too much for a loaded 03 Max SE (leather, meridian,sunroof)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 06:06 PM

$27,585 too much for a loaded 03 Max SE (leather, meridian,sunroof)

Minus $1500 mfg. rebate = $26,085 out the door + tax, title, license

Also, he said the rebate was $1500 but some online sites are saying it's $1000.. Whattup?

OPTIONS
Meridian Edition Pkg.
Titanium Pkg.
Leather
HLSD
Sunroof
Trunk Mat
Sunroof Deflector
etc..

Do you think that is a deal? I was originally hoping to get this other one that had no options and was around $22k, but it just sold.. *sigh*

I don't really want the meridian edition pkg or the leather pkg (can buy katzkin for $650 and install myself) but this is what it has...

He has to get it from ANOTHER dealer, too.. and he is only marking it up $100 above his cost so he is only making $100 on it..

What do you think?
Kevin
Old 03-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Banned

Re: $27,585 too much for a loaded Max SE (leather, meridian,sunroof)

Originally posted by maxcosity

Also, he said the rebate was $1500 but some online sites are saying it's $1000.. Whattup?

OPTIONS
Meridian Edition Pkg.
Titanium Pkg.
Leather
HLSD
Sunroof
Trunk Mat
Sunroof Deflector
etc..

Do you think that is a deal? I was originally hoping to get this other one that had no options and was around $22k, but it just sold.. *sigh*

I don't really want the meridian edition pkg or the leather pkg (can buy katzkin for $650 and install myself) but this is what it has...

He has to get it from ANOTHER dealer, too.. and he is only marking it up $100 above his cost so he is only making $100 on it..

What do you think?
Kevin
I'm assuming you're talking about a 2003 Max. In which case, this is a rip off. These cars, even with the trim described, should be selling for no more than $25,000-25,500 at this point in time. 2004s are arriving at dealerships, and they need to get rid of leftover 2003s to free up inventory, so there are a lot of incentives for dealers to move these cars.

If you can get this car for around $25K, it would be a good deal. At a shade over $26k, it's not that great, although not a complete rip off.

By the way, if this is a 6sp, then $26K is decent. If it's an auto, it's close to a rip off.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:12 PM

it is an 03 6-speed.. should I ask him to ask the guy hes getting it from to knock $500 or $1000 off? damn, I wish I knew where he was getting it from - go direct and deal with him!!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:20 PM
vqman

it is an 03 6-speed.. should I ask him to ask the guy hes getting it from to knock $500 or $1000 off? damn, I wish I knew where he was getting it from - go direct and deal with him!!
at least $1000

-vq

Old 03-17-2003, 06:23 PM
Banned

Since Nissan's website doesn't offer the dealer locator function for Gen5 Maximas, how about calling some dealerships around your state/area and see if they're the ones that have it in stock.

Also, you can be slick, and ask the dealer how many miles they're planning on putting on the Max during the swap drive. Once he tells you the number, find out which dealerships are that many miles away from this dealership, and see if you can find out this way.

6 speeds are almost extinct at this point, so that's why I was saying that at $26K, it may be worth buying if you insist on the manual.

However, I would still try to bargain with the dealer some more, and just explain to him the situation regarding Gen6 Maximas, and that they need to sell this car.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:25 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

whats the sticker on the car? my 02 was 30,800 and the dealer knocked off 5K. Your price seems pretty good to me. I think the price i got was a little over invoice, i dont recall. They wont give the car away..

Old 03-17-2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
whats the sticker on the car? my 02 was 30,800 and the dealer knocked off 5K. Your price seems pretty good to me. I think the price i got was a little over invoice, i dont recall. They wont give the car away..
It was probably $30k.. He said that $27,485 is the MSRP at the other dealer and he was going to only mark up $100..
Old 03-17-2003, 07:27 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: $27,585 too much for a loaded 03 Max SE (leather, meridian,sunroof)

Sorry, but you believed that? I don't care if you watched someone give him the check. If it wasn't sold when you first saw it and was sold later on, the salesman is scamming you. Don't get me wrong, it's probably sold, but he's trying to work you into spending another $5k and sounds like he's close. Tell him you'll give him $23k (add some for the options) and see what he says.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 PM

i'm going to be like everyone else and say... get a g35 instead!!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks like a good price to me. Carsdirect.com lists a loaded SE 6 speed minus the navi at 30,641 sticker and 27,785 invoice. If you take 1500 off the invoice you're at 26,285. Not sure how the sales gets 27,585 as the invoice or the 1500 dollar rebate for that matter. There should be another approx 700 in dealer holdback the salesmen can play with but it sounds like he already dipped 200 into that.

My final take on this.
Price is pretty good. You could probably get him to go a bit lower, but not much. Also 6 speeds are getting hard to find, or at least that is what fellow org members have said.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Wat

OPTIONS
Meridian Edition Pkg.
Titanium Pkg.
Leather
HLSD
Sunroof
Trunk Mat
Sunroof Deflector
etc..

What do you think?
Kevin
That is a good price for a loaded max man......you cant go wrong
Old 03-17-2003, 10:36 PM

OPTIONS
Meridian Edition Pkg.
Titanium Pkg.
Leather
HLSD
Sunroof
Trunk Mat
Sunroof Deflector
etc..

What do you think?
Kevin
Like others have stated, I don't think this is a good deal. Get him lower. I got a 2k3 SE TE with everything including Navi for about $27,400.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by vito1281

Since Nissan's website doesn't offer the dealer locator function for Gen5 Maximas, how about calling some dealerships around your state/area and see if they're the ones that have it in stock.

Also, you can be slick, and ask the dealer how many miles they're planning on putting on the Max during the swap drive. Once he tells you the number, find out which dealerships are that many miles away from this dealership, and see if you can find out this way.

6 speeds are almost extinct at this point, so that's why I was saying that at $26K, it may be worth buying if you insist on the manual.

However, I would still try to bargain with the dealer some more, and just explain to him the situation regarding Gen6 Maximas, and that they need to sell this car.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:17 AM

OPTIONS
Meridian Edition Pkg.
Titanium Pkg.
Leather
HLSD
Sunroof
Trunk Mat
Sunroof Deflector
etc..

What do you think?
Kevin
If you don't take the deal, I'm sure someone else will. Loaded 2K3 6 speeds are a very rare find at this point.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:00 AM

I paid 26,6 for my 6spd SE TE w. meridian in mid-January. I think if you can get this car for a little less than 26Gs, you should take it. But because you are trying for a 6spd, he may get tough.

Or you can just get a G35!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:14 AM

Back in September....

...I paid $26,200 for my 2003 SE TE with everything but the Navi. You should be able to get a better deal, but because the 6SP's are rare and sought after that can drive the price up. As an above post stated, if you don't buy this one someone else will (probably on the .Org too )
Old 03-18-2003, 09:58 AM

My wife and I just bought her 03 Maxima a couple of months ago and I can tell you that is a good deal.

"Out the door" means that it is the price of the car including the tax, tag, and documentation fees. The tax and tag you can't do much with, but their doc fees can be as low as $25. This is another place the dealership makes money.

Give us a breakdown of the car selling price, the doc fees, tax in your state (it is 3% in NC) and the tag. Then we can tell you what to do better.

You may not want the Meridian package now, but once you click on those bun warmers and the heated steering wheel, you will sing a different toon. That is by far the best option package I've gotten on a car.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...m/id/23304.htm
Do yourself a favor and price your car using his link. Then you will know nearly exactly what the true invoice is.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:56 AM
boo
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is a good deal!! Anything under invoice is always
a good deal especially on rare finds. Do yourself a
favor and pick this car up soon so you don't lose out.
You can definitley work on the price some more but
don't wait too long.

Good luck!!!

boo
Old 03-18-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by FASST LN
My wife and I just bought her 03 Maxima a couple of months ago and I can tell you that is a good deal.

"Out the door" means that it is the price of the car including the tax, tag, and documentation fees. The tax and tag you can't do much with, but their doc fees can be as low as $25. This is another place the dealership makes money.

Give us a breakdown of the car selling price, the doc fees, tax in your state (it is 3% in NC) and the tag. Then we can tell you what to do better.

You may not want the Meridian package now, but once you click on those bun warmers and the heated steering wheel, you will sing a different toon. That is by far the best option package I've gotten on a car.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...m/id/23304.htm
Do yourself a favor and price your car using his link. Then you will know nearly exactly what the true invoice is.

Ahh......heated steering wheel.....
Old 03-18-2003, 01:28 PM

that's a really decent deal.....about $500 lower than my purchase price on the exact same car just 1 month ago. although nissan has $1k cash incentive back then, not $1.5k as you said. maybe they've added another $500 since last month to "really" move the 03's.
i don't think the dealers will give them away at <$25k, some of you guys must be smoking crack or the dealers are goin bankrupcy....
also, you have hlsd right? not all 6-spds will have that option and if i were getting a 6 spd i wouldn't do w/o the hlsd.
i'd jump on the deal if i were you.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by rocktboy
that's a really decent deal.....about $500 lower than my purchase price on the exact same car just 1 month ago. although nissan has $1k cash incentive back then, not $1.5k as you said. maybe they've added another $500 since last month to "really" move the 03's.
i don't think the dealers will give them away at <$25k, some of you guys must be smoking crack or the dealers are goin bankrupcy....
also, you have hlsd right? not all 6-spds will have that option and if i were getting a 6 spd i wouldn't do w/o the hlsd.
i'd jump on the deal if i were you.
I guarantee you that even when the dealers are selling below invoice, they're not "starving" and losing money on the sale...
Old 03-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE
Looks like a good price to me. Carsdirect.com lists a loaded SE 6 speed minus the navi at 30,641 sticker and 27,785 invoice. If you take 1500 off the invoice you're at 26,285. Not sure how the sales gets 27,585 as the invoice or the 1500 dollar rebate for that matter. There should be another approx 700 in dealer holdback the salesmen can play with but it sounds like he already dipped 200 into that.

My final take on this.
Price is pretty good. You could probably get him to go a bit lower, but not much. Also 6 speeds are getting hard to find, or at least that is what fellow org members have said.
If $27,785 is invoice, take off $1000 rebate (or $1500 if Nissan uppsed the rebate, anyone know?). Then take off the holdback which is about $600-$800 on that car and voila, that's what you should pay. I'd say $26K is good, or $25,5K if the rebate is indeed $1500 now. I paid $23K for my SE auto with just sunroof and mats. Dealer invoice was about $24,500 minus $1000 rebate and $500 off the dealer offered me (from holdback).
Old 03-18-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by badabing

Ahh......heated steering wheel.....
Old 03-18-2003, 05:08 PM

Too much ?

A couple of things to keep in mind. Since the '04 is a NEW model, theory says the value of a 2003 will drop more than a 2002 did when the 2003 came out. For any car, once the next year model comes out the current model value goes down, but when there is a big change it goes down even faster.

In this case this might not be true though, because the styling change was radical and a number of people have expressed a strong dislike of the '04 styling (like me). And since I assume we are talking 6 speed, then supply & demand may actually keep the price up.

I assume you shopped around for exactly what you wanted, SE 6 speed with no leather or meridian pkg, and didn't find it. The key here is how bad YOU want to buy THAT car. If you want to buy it worse than the salesman wants to sell it, then pay his (or her) price and be done with it. You will forget the extra $1-2k you paid the first time you get it on the highway and open it up. However, if you are really willing to walk away and keep looking, I would offer the dealer what it would have cost you if you had found what you wanted, and let him deal. Trust me, he WANTS to sell you the car. If the salesman believes you will REALLY walk out then they will really deal. If they sense you are bluffing then they will hold you up. And make sure they understand you shopped around and know what the price should be.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out !
Old 03-19-2003, 11:37 AM

Re: Too much ?

On 2/28/03 I purchased an '03 Maxima SE Automatic. Has the black leather, heated seats, sunroof, Bose, Titanium Silver, Titanium Edition, painted mud flaps, trunk carpet, wheel locks, sunroof deflector. Pretty much everything except Navigation system.

MSRP: $30,321
Dealer Invoice: $27,800
Rebate: $1000
Got the car for around $26,050 (before tax & title).

I could not get the price lower, simply because the color of the car (Titanium silver) was what I wanted, along with the black leather Titanium Edition. At this point it was a hard color to come by - here in New Jersey. Had to have it swapped from another dealer 100+ miles away.

I'd say you're getting a good deal.

Here in Jersey (before the '04 Max's were delivered the past 2 weeks, the new 350 Z and the Murano are getting "Market Adjusted" mark ups above the MSRP Sticker Price - $5000 for the Murano and $7500 for the 350Z.

I was afraid the '04 Max would also be marked up when it just came out, so I went for the '03 (I sat in the '04 and am very satisfied that I got the '03). I did not want to pay $10k more. I think I did ok overall.

Kevan
Old 03-19-2003, 04:39 PM

ur payin too much but then again they might no ur desperate to get one (if u are)since the 2003s are almost all gone and its the 2004s coming
Old 03-19-2003, 04:47 PM

These dealers arent jsut going to give the 03's away just because the 04 is out just below invoice is good on an 03. Alot of people arent goign to like the 04 and will be driven towards the 03 and Nissan knows that. All cars depreciate their most for the 1st 2 years and tappers off after that so the 02 are taking the hit know while the 03 will soon follow. The 02/03 will remain a great bang for the buck (offers alot of the features of the 04 at a lower price)sort of like the 92-94 Se's with the VE which is still highly sought after.