5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hard lessons learned. (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 07:20 AM

Hard lessons learned. (Long)

Here is a story about a Subaru Owners trouble. The lesson is you have to pay to play. What is your opinion on this? I am going to paraphrase below, but the link is included for the full thread.

Here is a story that has played out in the iclub forums. It is the story of a boy who did not know anything about cars and began to mod his. It seems that the young lad was running 18psi of boost on a stock engine. (for you NA guys, think 250 shot on a stock engine) well during a race with a Honda, our boy tops out in forth and then all hell seems to brake loose. He looses power and notices a bad burning smell. After taking a look at the engine, he realizes that he has, well blown it sky high. So our young lad now decides that he should try and remove the mods and get the car fixed under warranty. After being turned away from one dealership, he finds another that is willing to do this. The boy is not smart, I think we have already established this, but now he goes back to the iclub, were 100’s of legit paying WRX owners spend there time, and begins to brag about how he is pulling one over on the dealership. It seems that the other members did not take to this very well, and decided to email the entire thread to the owners of the dealership and to every dealership in there area. This caused the dealership to deny his claim and send him on his marry way.

Forum link
Old 03-18-2003, 07:27 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

there are a few lessons..
1) this was posted in off topic last week
2) yes, Nissan NA and some dealer's employees read these forums and you could easily void your warranty.
3) in the case of this guy, he came to the board and asked questions about boost, then ignored all advice (and some common sense). Nothing irrates people more than asking their advice, ignoring it, then asking how to right the mistakes you made ignoring it.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:40 AM

I feel sorry for the guy but, i don't!!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TimW
Nothing irrates people more than asking their advice, ignoring it, then asking how to right the mistakes you made ignoring it . . .
Unless it's the glee people feel when they're able to say, "I told you so!"
Old 03-18-2003, 10:04 AM
MaximumFlame

Subaru Dumb ***

I hate to say this but 18psi on a WRX is actually ok provided the engine gets enough fuel! It runs a stock 12psi (JDM) and about 8psi USDM so if he didn't tune it right when it comes to fuel delivery then he ****ed it up himself!

Old 03-18-2003, 11:38 AM

I don't know why I just read that whole thread.

Subaru owners are a somewhat...um....cerebral bunch, huh?

Oh well, they can think about stuff all they want - as long as I can dust 'em !
Old 03-18-2003, 12:23 PM

I'm disgusted with the actions of "The Rat" on that board (I read the whole thread too). I don't know if Subaru service is any better than Nissan's, but with all the problems that Nissan Dealers have caused people on this board I would love to hear someone sticking it to them.

Everyone was saying that it helped their case for valid warantee issues, but now every dealer in that area is going to be looking for any kind of mod to deny service. What is that???? An aftermarket lightbulb???

Come on, these dealerships rip us off every f'in day. What about the $1.74 I paid for a screw? A SCREW!!!! And I'm not talking about the good kind either
Old 03-18-2003, 12:29 PM

well, maybe the 'Rat' likes his dealer and gets great service, unlike us. Perhaps he doesnt want idiots like that screwing it up for people who do have properly installed mods and go to great effort to make sure they dont blow their engine.

You cant really argue on behalf of that idiot because dealerships are dishonest too. That doesnt make it right.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:44 PM

Wrong

well, maybe the 'Rat' likes his dealer and gets great service, unlike us. Perhaps he doesnt want idiots like that screwing it up for people who do have properly installed mods and go to great effort to make sure they dont blow their engine.

You cant really argue on behalf of that idiot because dealerships are dishonest too. That doesnt make it right.

It's not like he ratted to avoid someone getting harmed and to help the situation. I bet the SOB rat is dishonest himself in many ways. I hope he gets all the bad karma he has coming to him.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:47 PM

You are correct, it does not make it right. However, when facing a $3000 - $6000 repair people might feel differently.

What if your MAF goes because of an intake? It seems that Maximas (actually Nissans) seem to be the only cars that have this problem. You might blame a faulty MAF design for it blowing, not the intake itself. I have read that many on the .Org take off the intakes after a blown MAF for service. No one seems to yell at them?

In this particular example, the guy was obviously wrong. But take Nissan for example. What if someone was modding their engine trying to get back the 15 HP they were jipped and then blew it? Who is more wrong, a guy who is trying to scam a new engine or a company that defrauded thousands???
Old 03-18-2003, 01:05 PM

Well our dealers suck, but I think I'd still **** on a kid like that for bragging like he did. If you're humble about it, and do it, whatever, I can definately say that Nissan deserves to be screwed for the pain they've caused a lot of us. But if you're going to go and gloat over screwing someone over, and how you're so smart (when you've just ****ed up your car cause you had no clue how to mod it, or drive it) then the guy's just asking for it.

Bravo to the Subaru guys I say
Old 03-18-2003, 01:15 PM

That is one of the reasons I posted. Seems like once a week we get a post of
MY MAF Blew
. That is followed by a put on your stock intake and try to get warranty. I know with us it is different. IMO, an aftermarket intake should not cause the MAF to fail in any case. 18PSI on a turbo can cause major problems and you should accept the risk. I was leaning more to that guy being a rat as well.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:49 PM

well, I wouldn't call.. but thats just me. I wouldnt want anything to do with the idiot. You reach out and touch someones life like that, you have to be fully prepared for them to find you some day. It's a small world after all. Just as stupid for the 'rat' as you call him to brag about screwing that guy out of $6K. The kid's not really bright to began with, much less now thinking this guy is directly responsible. Even tho the dealer was going to deny him anyway.

Here's a tip, if youre doing something fraudulent and dishonest, don't share it on the internet like a dumba$$. But its nice to know alot of people will stick up for you if you do..

MAF's are alittle different, they will fail with or without an intake. Nothing dishonest about going back to stock. I dont feel you should have to go back to stock, its not really the intake causing it.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:51 PM

MAF's are alittle different, they will fail with or without and intake. Nothing dishonest about going back to stock. I dont feel you should have to go back to stock, its not really the intake causing it.
I don't know if Nissan Dealers see it the way you do. I want an intake, but I'm fearing the MAF blowing so I'm not getting one
Old 03-18-2003, 01:54 PM

How much $$$ is a MAF out of warranty?
Old 03-18-2003, 01:59 PM

No, the dealers just dont want to do *any* work. The TSB clearly states and statically its been shown that MAFs are a problem unto themselves.