5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein springs installed: first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tein springs installed: first impressions

Okay, today was a big day for installs, i had a killer alarm with starter installed (more on that later) and i had my teins installed. The profile of the car was simply breathtaking, the techs at the shop were all amazed and they all said that it made the stock 17in wheels look bigger. It looks mean as hell. now the possible downside, i drove it and noticed one thing right away, its a lot harder ride than stock. Maybei just got too used to the cushy ride on the stockers but damn it was shocking. the car hadles great but i have to be careful when going over a rough road and philly is filled with rough roads. I am hoping that i will get used to it. But for those who said that the ride on the Teins are not that harsh, im not sure what you were comparing it to.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:12 PM

GOOD luck with the TEins...
Old 03-20-2003, 09:17 PM

Are u riding on stock struts ans shocks?????? im thinking bout getting the teins too
Old 03-20-2003, 09:30 PM

yes , my struts are stock. I have not figured out what type of aftermarket to use. cattman sells modified kyb struts but im not sure i want to pay that much for any thing modified and not designed for the purpose or vehicle. For those with Tein springs , what type of struts doyou have and how is the quality and ride?? does it improve over stock struts?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by klee215
Are u riding on stock struts ans shocks?????? im thinking bout getting the teins too
don use these with stock struts, the fronts will blow out in no time flat...2.2 drop in the front
Old 03-20-2003, 09:33 PM

okay , quick tell me what type to get then!!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by ToasterMax
tokico blues
Old 03-20-2003, 09:50 PM

I already got my Teins, waiting for the Toks to get here. No wonder your ride is harsh, you're riding on stock .... Get your toks and put them on.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

get the cattman kyb agx's,
compare the regular to the modified ones..
theres not much modified. Just the connections to the arm....

mine are in my closet waiting for me to break my back
Old 03-20-2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by maxcosity

tokico blues
most people love the KYB AGX's, but when i find the ride with blue's alot smoother
Old 03-20-2003, 10:08 PM

so which is better as in which would give me back a clost to stock ride, the catt modifed kybs or the toks??
Old 03-20-2003, 10:22 PM

Usually when people put their springs on with stock struts they talk about how smooth the ride is and there is little difference, but when they go to aftermarket struts the ride is much firmer. I guess you sacrifice the ride for looks. That is why I dropped out of the Tein GD fearing the ride and what struts can handle the huge drop. Just my .02
Old 03-21-2003, 05:54 AM

Depends how much the drop is if there close to 2" drop then i would not use the toks. They dont last as long as the kyb's do. Brian
Old 03-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Blu
the tits

any pics of the drop I am curious
Old 03-21-2003, 08:46 AM

great first impression toastermax. i have the tein springs also. i just recently ordered kyb gr2 struts. i was afraid i would have the same experience as you. these would be the first springs that i would have installed. so i am afraid my butt is too use to a cushy ride and will not like this setup.. i didnt want to be the first to be unimpressed. thanks for the feedback..
Old 03-23-2003, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by transportchef
great first impression toastermax. i have the tein springs also. i just recently ordered kyb gr2 struts. i was afraid i would have the same experience as you. these would be the first springs that i would have installed. so i am afraid my butt is too use to a cushy ride and will not like this setup.. i didnt want to be the first to be unimpressed. thanks for the feedback..
Okay its been a couple of days now and either my butt has gotten used to the harder ride or the springs settled better. its not as harsh as i originally thought but still harder than stock. I still recommend replacing the struts while you replace the springs,i am probably getting the toks blue. i really dont need all the adjustability of the modified 4th gen struts, i dont rally race and the adjustability is wasted on me. the toks , from popular opinion seem to offer the closest to stock ride. if it lasts about 40,000 miles , i would be more than worth the cost. if someone else has another opinion of the strut choice please offer your opinion. This seems to be a touchy matter.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by wildmanal
Usually when people put their springs on with stock struts they talk about how smooth the ride is and there is little difference, but when they go to aftermarket struts the ride is much firmer. I guess you sacrifice the ride for looks. That is why I dropped out of the Tein GD fearing the ride and what struts can handle the huge drop. Just my .02
Exactly. I believe it's safe to say that aftermarket struts will make your Maxima ride more firmly than OEM struts. If you don't like the combination of Tein springs with your OEM struts, I find it difficult to believe that you'll like it any better with Tokico Blues.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:47 AM

good point but what i am hoping ot avoid is wheel hop, the stock struts are not engineered for a drop and the rebound rate is now changed. i feel that the wheel hops more now, that is why i am considering strut replacements. I understand that the ride wont be like stock again but i dont want the wheel hoping all over the road like a dropped civic.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:37 AM

I think it has become very hard for people to give a staight answer anymore. Bottom line, does any1 know approx how long Blues would last with a dropped car, guestimate it for all I care just an idea is needed. (ive posted this like 6times and still havnt gotten and answer) Does any1 have the modded KYB's in their 5th gen and it works properly w/o makin any sort of noise.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by HitManSE
I think it has become very hard for people to give a staight answer anymore. Bottom line, does any1 know approx how long Blues would last with a dropped car, guestimate it for all I care just an idea is needed. (ive posted this like 6times and still havnt gotten and answer) Does any1 have the modded KYB's in their 5th gen and it works properly w/o makin any sort of noise.
No one has responded because only a handfull of people have the Tein springs. The KYB AGXs are a lot firmer and may last longer, but if you live anywhere remotely bumby. It will kill those stiff shocks working them so hard. Have ever you do, you'll probably be one of the first. Good luck
Old 03-23-2003, 12:16 PM

I know its not the same, but I did the progress springs 1.7" drop and Tok blues. After about a week, my ride was very good and acceptable.

Don't think you are going to get any relief using stock struts. I think you probobly knew that when you did it though.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:19 PM

Re: Tein springs installed: first impressions

But for those who said that the ride on the Teins are not that harsh, im not sure what you were comparing it to.

Most of the guys who don't complain about stiff springs live in Florida and California, where potholes are about as common as knowledgeable, customer-friendly Nissan service managers
Old 03-23-2003, 03:42 PM

Get KYB GR2's, I'm riding on it now with Teins and the ride is pretty good......
Old 03-23-2003, 04:10 PM

No one has responded because only a handfull of people have the Tein springs. The KYB AGXs are a lot firmer and may last longer, but if you live anywhere remotely bumby. It will kill those stiff shocks working them so hard. Have ever you do, you'll probably be one of the first. Good luck
Well my question wasnt really regarding the Tein springs even though thats what im gonna be riding on. I know the AGX's will be alot firmer and last longer but im also in Phx,Az the roads arnt like they are in LA, I swear driving in some of the LA freeways is just crap, the roads are so jacked up it would be less bumpy riding a freakin horse then cruisin on the Freeway there. I just wanted to know if some1/any1 has the modded AGX's in their car (regardless of what springs they got) and its works perectly as it no clunking ect...
2kSeattleMax Thank u for ur input it helps.

Woo Cho approx how much are the GR2's and appox how many miles have u had em in.
Thank U all that give any information thats actually useful.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:54 PM

the AGXs aren't good if the roads are bumpy. They'll blow in no time with everyday driving.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:17 PM

confused

Ok 1 person says that the toks wont last. SO i decided to get the kybs. Now wildmanal says the kyb wont last long on bumpy roads and that they will blow in no time....where i live there are alot of bumpy roads and potholes form hell....So which one should i get that i wont have to replace ever 6 months?????????
Old 03-23-2003, 07:52 PM

the AGXs aren't good if the roads are bumpy. They'll blow in no time with everyday driving.
Obviously that's gonna be the main concern for evey shocks. BTW AGX needs to be modified to be fit for 5th gen......I've had my KYB GR2's for almost a year and still good......I had them on first on H&R's and now I got it switch ova to Teins and still holding it....and I'm in Philly the roads r bumpy as hell......KLee215(kenny hyung) my suggestions get the GR2's save yo-self some $$ and don't be no Datona500 racer on rt. 611.....hehe....jus drive slowly......
Old 03-23-2003, 08:27 PM

WooCho,

I was cooling metting you at HIN, i think i will take your recommendations and get the GR2 struts, our roads in Philly are really jacked up so i want something that can handle it better than stock and still last over 25,000 miles.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:31 PM

WooCho,

I was cooling metting you at HIN, i think i will take your recommendations and get the GR2 struts, our roads in Philly are really jacked up so i want something that can handle it better than stock and still last over 25,000 miles.
There's GD on on for GR2's for I believe $240 plus shipping, u can't beat that price with a stick......