5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:55 PM

Ignition Coils

Hey Guys,

New to this so if i screw up protocol just please overlook. I bought a 2000 Max SE in Nov of 1999. One of the first people around my community to have one. I have loved my car ever since. It just turned 58,000 miles on it and no problem.....with one exception. I have an ignition coil that is screwing up. It will cause the engine to miss for a few minutes or so, then correct itself for a few days then do it all over again. I have contacted my dealer and they said they will replace it (my cost, not covered under warranty), however they recommend replacing all 6 at once. I understand why, however i feel like due to the number of problems owners are having with the ignition coils that Nissan should do something about this. I called Nissan customer assistance, and spoke with someone there. They told me there is a TSB out on this problem, however there are no recalls yet. She said the way recalls are established is due to the number of complaints they register about a certain problem. She told me is there are several people with the same problem they should call in and register an official complaint. I dont know who i contact to have this thread stay at the top, but as many people as possible should call in and lets see if we can get this taken care of.

Thanks

2000 SE
Sterling Mist
Black leather
jwt pop charger
FTSB
245/45/17 Sumitomo HTR+
Old 03-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Ignition Coils

Originally posted by max bear

. . . as many people as possible should call in and lets see if we can get this taken care of.
NNA is acutely aware of the problem, max bear. If they were going to issue a recall concerning faulty ignition coils, they would have done so by now.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:16 PM

By no means take your car to the dealer to get the coils replaced. You can order them for a fair price, and they are easier to install than spark plugs.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:29 PM

I had the same problem but since I opted for the extended warranty they replaced all six free of charge...well as free as my extended warranty cost. They are about $500 for all six so its really not that cheap but they are easy to install.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Got Bent?

If you know how to change your plugs, you can change your coils. Contact Dave Burnette and buy a set of 6 coils from him and swap all of them out along with a new set of plugs (if you have not done so prior).
Old 03-21-2003, 09:22 PM

Afraid My Coils Will Fail

Hi Max Bear,

my 2000 Max (SE) was made in October 1999. So, I am very much afraid I'll run into coil problems sooner or later. I only have 31,200 miles on the car, and the car has been idling fine so far.

So, I can't prove that I have a "coil problem". However, I am very much afraid I'll run into it before too long, and I don't want to be stuck with the cost of the repair.

Is there any other good way to determine the presence/absence of a bad coil ? Any specific measurements - resistance, inductance, etc. -one could measure on the coil ?

At any rate, I would like to join you in your effort but I don't know how. I would like NISSAN to replace our coils. They clearly know there is a problem, but as I see it, they will try to avoid responsibility untill really pushed.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:36 PM

Re: Afraid My Coils Will Fail

Originally posted by maxiiiboy

Is there any other good way to determine the presence/absence of a bad coil ? Any specific measurements - resistance, inductance, etc. -one could measure on the coil?
Trust me, maxiiiboy. If a coil goes, you won't need to take any fancy measurements to figure out you've got a problem.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:14 AM

Re: Afraid My Coils Will Fail

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxiiiboy
[B]Hi Max Bear,

Is there any other good way to determine the presence/absence of a bad coil ? Any specific measurements - resistance, inductance, etc. -one could measure on the coil ?

Yeah you SES light will light up like a xmas tree!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:57 AM

Re: Re: Afraid My Coils Will Fail

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LouE37
[B]
Originally posted by maxiiiboy
Hi Max Bear,

Yeah you SES light will light up like a xmas tree!
Not necessarily.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Afraid My Coils Will Fail

Originally posted by y2kse

Not necessarily.
I've seen plenty of coils that test "good" exhibit all the symptoms- pinging, CELs (or maybe not) etc, etc-
Old 03-22-2003, 06:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Afraid My Coils Will Fail

Originally posted by DAVEB

I've seen plenty of coils that test "good" exhibit all the symptoms- pinging, CELs (or maybe not) etc, etc-
Exactly, Dave. A leaky coil is a NOTICEABLE event. There's nothing subtle about it. Whether or not it escapes the notice of the ECM or other engine diagnostics, it WON'T escape yours.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by max bear
Hey Guys,

New to this so if i screw up protocol just please overlook. I bought a 2000 Max SE in Nov of 1999. One of the first people around my community to have one. I have loved my car ever since. It just turned 58,000 miles on it and no problem.....with one exception. I have an ignition coil that is screwing up. It will cause the engine to miss for a few minutes or so, then correct itself for a few days then do it all over again. I have contacted my dealer and they said they will replace it (my cost, not covered under warranty), however they recommend replacing all 6 at once. I understand why, however i feel like due to the number of problems owners are having with the ignition coils that Nissan should do something about this. I called Nissan customer assistance, and spoke with someone there. They told me there is a TSB out on this problem, however there are no recalls yet. She said the way recalls are established is due to the number of complaints they register about a certain problem. She told me is there are several people with the same problem they should call in and register an official complaint. I dont know who i contact to have this thread stay at the top, but as many people as possible should call in and lets see if we can get this taken care of.

Thanks

2000 SE
Sterling Mist
Black leather
jwt pop charger
FTSB
245/45/17 Sumitomo HTR+

If you haven't already, sign the petition to get the coils recalled:

Click here to sign:

http://www.petitiononline.com/NIS_IGN/petition.html

Thanks,

ohcello