5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

which alarm is best

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

which alarm is best

well im thinking about putting a new alarm system in my car. the stock is ok but i dont the alarm goes off it u hit it. well that how the 95 max was. any ways i was wondering if a new alarm is a waste of money or which one should i get. what do u guys have

thanks
Old 03-22-2003, 12:49 AM

get a clifford.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:00 AM

alarm

Viper makes a good alarm. You can even get the option of adding glass tap sensors in the doors so if anyone dares use a silm jim or tries to pop out your door handle it's sensitive enough to recognize the sound frequencies to set off the alarm. You can even get the pager that can tell you what zones of your car are being affected up to a 1.5 mile radius (so it claims).
Old 03-22-2003, 06:27 AM

alarms arent a waste of money
a good alarm can save ur car from being stolen
thats why i have a Viper Alarm on mine
Old 03-23-2003, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what good is an alarm tha goes off and you never know about it?? imagine you are in the mall and it goes off, how would you know? do you trust people in the parking lot to approach whoever is in your car to check out whats going on?? That is why i bought this alarm, its a lot more money than a viper or clifford but damn worth it.

Clifford is a good brand, however they have been recently bought out, I haven't seen any of their new equipement. Compustar is what I am running in my vehicle. It is two way communication with your car. If you are serious about car alarms cliffor or compustar are the way to go....compustar has the following: Arm/Disarm, Lock/Unlock, Remote Start, Trunk release, Panic, Siren Mute, Valet Mode, Passive Timing (you get out of your car and after a period of preset time 'at installation' your car locks and arms without the touch of a button), Timer Arm/Disarm (you set a time for the car to start, for example every wednesday at 3:00 you could have your car start for 30 min. then shut off), Turbo Timer, Dual Shock Sensor, and Remote Mute (so your remote doesn't beep). Add on's are also availabe, such as proximity sensors. Compustar, as stated above, the remote is about teh size of a pager. There is a picture of a car on the pager, when you start your car, the pager beeps and you see exhaust coming from the tailpipe letting you know your car is started, when someone sets off your alarm, you see the display for that, same for all functions above. There are also two auxilary buttons on the compustar. These can be used to roll your windows up and down, as you stated, or to turn your radio on/off....basically anything you want to do. The biggest adavantage to the compustar alarm is its range...1 and 1/4 mile range. I have parked on the 8th floor of a parking garage, and from the ground floor started my car....going through all that concrete is impressive. Prices will vary greatly... The system itself is usually $650. Installation is usually 5-8 hours, depending on how much you want hooked up and what add ons you have. The windows are a great thing to hook up, sun roofs can also be done... however that will use up both of your auxilary buttons as one will be to roll down and the other to roll up.

http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html
Old 03-23-2003, 06:37 AM

Re: which alarm is best

Originally posted by krmaxima
well im thinking about putting a new alarm system in my car. the stock is ok but i dont the alarm goes off it u hit it. well that how the 95 max was. any ways i was wondering if a new alarm is a waste of money or which one should i get. what do u guys have

thanks
Regardless of the brand, a serious car thief can always get through an alarm in very little time. However, I don't think it's a waste of money because it does slow them down. And if faced with a choice between a car that has an alarm and one that doesn't, the thief will always shoot for the easier one. Like the others said, Viper is a good brand at a reasonable price. But for a real peace of mind I recommend Lojack. At a 98% vehicle recovery rate, I can't imagine having better odds than this when it comes to vehicle security. I had mine installed at the Nissan dealership where I bought my '03 SE, and it costed me just over $500. Highly recommended.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:57 AM

i am getting this instead of the Lojack .i like it better.

http://www.gps2000online.com/index.html
Old 03-23-2003, 07:02 AM

Viper or Black Widow make excellent alarms.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by TheOzzfather
Viper or Black Widow make excellent alarms.
DEI makes all of them, Clifford,viper,hornet etc... ,essentially the same alarm but with different shaped remotes and brains. I would like someone to tell me why the Cliffords are supposedlly the best besides their full page ads in stereo magazines.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by ToasterMax
DEI makes all of them, Clifford,viper,hornet etc... ,essentially the same alarm but with different shaped remotes and brains. I would like someone to tell me why the Cliffords are supposedlly the best besides their full page ads in stereo magazines.
yeap you got it, you can compare a clifford to a viper alarm like lexus to toyota
Old 03-23-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

yeap you got it, you can compare a clifford to a viper alarm like lexus to toyota
not exactly, Lexus has better build quality and better materials. So tel me why Clifford is better, do they use better components?? Open one up and compare it to cheaper DEI products, you cant tell the difference.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, true that DEI makes them all and they are very similar, but I picked Viper just because the name is cool and people thought I own a Viper-GTS.
I have the Viper 550 ESP model, with remote starter. Heheheh.
If you are in the market to buy one, get the newer model which is the 790VX, I think.

~limsandy
Old 03-23-2003, 01:49 PM

so for this they track down ur car. i didnt read all of it but saw something like that on tv once a year ago. they did this special where they had a demo of what would be done by having someone take a car (as a thief) and then they recovred it using soemthing they put on the car

i am getting this instead of the Lojack .i like it better.

http://www.gps2000online.com/index.html
Old 03-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Install Install Install

As an ex-installer I would like to point out that just like car audio, install is 90%, equipment 10%. If your going to have it installed it will be right under the steering column, where every theif knows it will be. I suggest installing the alarm yourself (might affect warranty), or pay a little extra and tell them to hide the brain and loom your wires.

Now as to brands: I've installed Clifford, DEI (Viper, Hornet), Code Alarm and some lower end names. Clifford offers the most options, probably way more than you will need. A Viper is very similar to the Clifford with a few less options. I highly reccomend a Code Alarm. The majority of the time an alarm malfunctions it is because the brain went bad (happens quite often for what you pay). I saw 5 times as many DEI/Clifford brains fail as Code Alarms. There are alot less options available, which probably helps in the reliability. They also have the best shock sensor of the 3 brands. By best I mean you can cover the whole car decently with one, without having it go off in a hard rain. The biggest advantage with the Code is the siren/horn option. Most alarms that will sound the horn it is just a constant on/off pulse. Our society is immune to this. The Code will randomly sound the horn, sometimes for a couple seconds at a time. Trust me it gets your attention. This is on top of the siren. Imagine a drunk person hitting your horn when the alarm is tripped.
Matt
Old 03-24-2003, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: which alarm is best

Originally posted by YAMATOSOUL

Regardless of the brand, a serious car thief can always get through an alarm in very little time. However, I don't think it's a waste of money because it does slow them down. And if faced with a choice between a car that has an alarm and one that doesn't, the thief will always shoot for the easier one. Like the others said, Viper is a good brand at a reasonable price. But for a real peace of mind I recommend Lojack. At a 98% vehicle recovery rate, I can't imagine having better odds than this when it comes to vehicle security. I had mine installed at the Nissan dealership where I bought my '03 SE, and it costed me just over $500. Highly recommended.
LoJack can only be effective if it's in the city, once they get out of range then it's useless. And besides, if someone steals my car, I sure as h*ll don't want it back!!! Have you seen the way crooks drive? Talk about serious wear and tear on the motor and drivetrain, not to mention all the cosmetic damage to get into and away with the car to begin with! An alarm system would be much more effective.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:48 PM

Stolen car

My girlfriends 95 Integra GSR just got stolen tonight. She went in to eat at the local Chili's and when she came out her car was gone! They were good too, no broken glass or anything. By the time she gets her car back (if they ever find it) it will be totally stripped. All I have on my car right now is the stock 'theft deterent'. It looks like I need to upgrade, especially with all the aftermarket stuff I have and the body kit.