5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Constant dim cluster panel SES Light and Others

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SES Light and Others On?

Hi all..

Not to long ago I had brought my '03 Max into the service dept because I noticed (only at night because it was so dim) that my SES light was on, but very dim. It wasn't on like it comes on when you put the key into the click after the accessory position.

When I went to pick up my car, they said that there was nothing wrong and that the dim light is normal. Although I found it hard to believe, I wrote it off since I can't be giving up my car to get it checked out all the time.

Well.. yesterday, I'm driving home at night from work and I noticed that now, not only does the SES light come on dim, but the Wiper Fluid light to the right of the SES light is coming on slightly brighter. I checked my fluid, and it is fine, I even topped it off to see if maybe it was dim, warning me that it would be empty soon, but still no affect.

I know this problem has something to do with the original problem which I was told is normal. I've seen my Wiper Fluid light before, and it came on much brighter. They claimed there was nothing wrong because the computer wasn't throwing any error codes.

What should I do? Anyone ever had this problem? If you ask me, I think my ECU is screwed up..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-22-2003, 09:15 AM

Re: SES Light and Others On?

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Hi all..

Not to long ago I had brought my '03 Max into the service dept because I noticed (only at night because it was so dim) that my SES light was on, but very dim. It wasn't on like it comes on when you put the key into the click after the accessory position.

When I went to pick up my car, they said that there was nothing wrong and that the dim light is normal. Although I found it hard to believe, I wrote it off since I can't be giving up my car to get it checked out all the time.

Well.. yesterday, I'm driving home at night from work and I noticed that now, not only does the SES light come on dim, but the Wiper Fluid light to the right of the SES light is coming on slightly brighter. I checked my fluid, and it is fine, I even topped it off to see if maybe it was dim, warning me that it would be empty soon, but still no affect.

I know this problem has something to do with the original problem which I was told is normal. I've seen my Wiper Fluid light before, and it came on much brighter. They claimed there was nothing wrong because the computer wasn't throwing any error codes.

What should I do? Anyone ever had this problem? If you ask me, I think my ECU is screwed up..

Thanks,
Nick

OK, OK everyone...I'll take it.

Thi is a known problem. If you could've used search you would've seen lots on this.

It is not NORMAL. Other people are getting their instrument cluster replaced, that's what I would ask for. Have them call someone who knows.

ARFF
Old 03-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Wat

Re: Re: SES Light and Others On?

Thanks for the answer, I was about to ask the same question
Old 03-22-2003, 09:36 AM

There is a TSB for the dim SES light problem. I had my instrument cluster replaced (as many others have) at the dealer. I would go to another dealer who is familar with this problem.

However, I'm also getting a dim door ajar light. The instrument cluster replacement didn't fix that as I thought it would
Old 03-22-2003, 09:37 AM

Re: SES Light and Others On?

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Hi all..

Thanks,
Nick
A lot of people have reported the same problem. It happened to my '03 Max too. The first time I went to the dealer to complaint about it, they played dumb with me. So I printed out some of the comments on this forum about the SES problem. They couldn't deny that the problem existed and agreed to fix it. They had to drive the car into a dark section of the shop and the dumb technician put a towel over his head and the instrument panel at the same time so he could see the dim light in the dark. They ended up replacing the whole cluster and even gave me a rental car for free. It took'em 2 days to do it.