5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any experiences with paintless dent repair.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 03:10 PM

Any experiences with paintless dent repair.

I was wondering if anyone on the org has taken their max to a dent wizard or so to remove a ding from their car. Does this process really make the ding or dent disappear or is it still slightly noticeable.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:01 PM

I've seen them fix some cars and it really removes the dings. They told me most every ding is fixable but there are some, based on location, that may need some more work.

I am having it done next or so. Dent Wizard is coming by my office (company I works for owns them) and I plan on letting them take care of a dent. I'll post my experience with them. It will be the 26th.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:34 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

My one and only door ding was HUGE. They even scuffed my paint. Dent Doctor took it out and polished so well that I cannot even tell it was there. In direct sunlight and only at dusk/dawn, at a certain angle, I can see the scuff because of the paint, but the ding is gone completely. My paint is sterling mist and the scuff reflects paint oddly there which is the only reason I see it at all.. but like I said, you wouldnt be able to find it if you looked for it.

Once I went there when my honda was hit by a BB. It was a very deep, small dent. The guy was totally honest and said I wouldnt be happy with the results. The paint was popped out at the bottom so he just suggested filling it and using touchup paint.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:18 PM

Cool. I have a ding on my roof and one on my passenager side door. I think I am going to look into it in a week or two. I wonder if all dings and dents are removed from the outside without removing any of the cars door panels or etc.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I had two dings removed form the top of my fender by Dent Dr. You would never know the car was ever touched. It's perfect when their through.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:08 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

oh, almost forgot.. they don't like to remove door panels (rattles and other problems), however, they *sometimes* want to drill holes in the panels (like bottom of the door, on the inside where you would never see) to slip their tools in there. They use plugs afterward so it shouldnt be an issue.. but I didnt like that at all. I requested they go thru the window opening if possible.

You may want to discuss how they plan to gain access to the dent if its inside a door or other panel that cant be reached easily.. Obviously if its a fender or quarter panel, they can drop the inner fender.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

About 6 weeks after purchasing my new 2000 GLE, a bicycle fell over in the garage and severely dented the left rear quarter panel. You know how some bicycles have a large square-headed bolt that holds the handlebars on... well when the bike fell, this bolt apparently hit the car and it looked like the dent was very close to being a puncture through the sheetmetal. When I discovered the damage, I was sick. I've done body paint work in the past and estimated about $600 damage.

I took my car to Carsmetics, the local chain of paintless dent repair shops here in St. Petersburg, Florida. After 20 minutes, they said my car was finished and took me out to look at it. I couldn't believe that it looked perfect again. I wish I had taken a before photo. They charged $89 to fix it... pretty expensive for 20 minites of work, but well worth it. That was almost 3 years ago and the area still looks perfect today.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:27 PM

Re: Any experiences with paintless dent repair.

Originally posted by Max's Max
I was wondering if anyone on the org has taken their max to a dent wizard or so to remove a ding from their car. Does this process really make the ding or dent disappear or is it still slightly noticeable.
The process can be very effective, but only for minor dents and dings. A good shop will always tell you upfront if they will not be able to give you the results that you'd expect. Also, depending on the car and the area of the car in which the dent is located, they may not be able to get to it. The hood, for example is always a hard one. I recommend that you first take it in to the shop and see if they can repair it for you. Normally, if there are any damages that are too difficult for them to repair, they won't even make an attempt. BTW, I know this because my friend worked for the very shop that originally developed the "Paintless Dent Removal" technique.