5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud Rattling/knocking noise, then SES light....please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Loud Rattling/knocking noise, then SES light....please help

My car has been running fine, and then this afternoon I pack my car up and get ready to head home. I started it up and I hear this LOUD knocking noise coming from the engine. I shut it off, and pop the hood. I cranked it up and it continued to do it. After ten minutes of this noise I decided to drive it down the road. (still no SES light). I get about a 1/4 mile down the road and the noise stops, and around the time it stopped, my SES light came on. I drove 150 miles home with no problems(except for the SES light). I left my car at nissan, but I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem, or what it could be. Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I haven't heard of this one yet. My 1st thought is bad gas or coil but you say it drove fine later.
How did it drive before the noise stopped? Could you tell what part of the motor was making the noise? How many miles do you have on it? When the dealer looks at it get the code from them. And keep us posted as to what they have to say. Sorry I can't ne of more help.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777
I haven't heard of this one yet. My 1st thought is bad gas or coil but you say it drove fine later.
How did it drive before the noise stopped? Could you tell what part of the motor was making the noise? How many miles do you have on it? When the dealer looks at it get the code from them. And keep us posted as to what they have to say. Sorry I can't ne of more help.

It DROVE fine while the noise was happening, but it idled very rough. It idled kinda like it did when my MAF went out. But I know that it isn't the MAF because it drove fine once the light came on and the noise stopped. Also there was a very pertent smell of unburnt fuel in the air the whole time it was idling.

I couldn't pin point the noise because it was so loud, it was filling up the entire engine bay.

I have 28k.

I will keep everyone posted
Old 03-23-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Bulldawg

It DROVE fine while the noise was happening, but it idled very rough. It idled kinda like it did when my MAF went out. But I know that it isn't the MAF because it drove fine once the light came on and the noise stopped. Also there was a very pertent smell of unburnt fuel in the air the whole time it was idling.

I couldn't pin point the noise because it was so loud, it was filling up the entire engine bay.

I have 28k.

I will keep everyone posted
I think you have a blown maf! Courtesey of the Lery Syndrome. hahaha.....but...will the car rev past 2500? or above 5000?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

I think you have a blown maf! Courtesey of the Lery Syndrome. hahaha.....but...will the car rev past 2500? or above 5000?
I have already had a blown MAF i know what that feels like. The car drove fine. perfectly fine. all the power was there. I floored it once just to check. I redlined 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with no problems. Plus why would a MAF failure be make that god awful racket

personally I don't think that that is what it is. I think that it is something to do with my timing chain.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:14 PM

I have already had a blown MAF i know what that feels like. The car drove fine. perfectly fine. all the power was there. I floored it once just to check. I redlined 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with no problems. Plus why would a MAF failure be make that god awful racket

personally I don't think that that is what it is. I think that it is something to do with my timing chain.

WEll just got off the phone with nissan, and they said that everything was caused by a bad #6 coil pack. I don't really understand how that could cause all the rattleling that i heard. every thing is covered under warranty, but what are the chances of my other 5 coil packs going out.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:42 AM

WEll just got off the phone with nissan, and they said that everything was caused by a bad #6 coil pack. I don't really understand how that could cause all the rattleling that i heard. every thing is covered under warranty, but what are the chances of my other 5 coil packs going out.
That sounds about right, the coil was causing a misfire in that cyl. And that will cause quite a racket. The good thing is it wasn't under load for long when it was happening (was it?) so the engine should be ok. Ask them to do a compression check on all cyl's to make sure the internals are ok. The connecting rods are the weak link here. Having them do the check will just give you peace of mind.

As far as the other coils. It could have been a random defect but I would still like to know if they came from the same lot. Check with the dealer on that one. See if the are going to replace more than just the one...