5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ECU Update even if TSB doesn't apply?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ECU Update even if TSB doesn't apply?

I was wondering if I could get the ECU even if the service department says the TSB doesn't apply. If it is just a matter of me paying for 1/2 hours work, I will, but the real question is does the TSB being inapplicable mean the car is already up to that level or possibly unable to be updated or is it just a cost savings measure by Nissan to narrow the number of cars they need to apply this to. As long as there is no technical reason preventing me from having this update done, I want it. I imagine if I offer to pay for it they will give me few problems. What does everyone think about this?
Old 03-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Sanduguero

Re: ECU Update even if TSB doesn't apply?

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver
I was wondering if I could get the ECU even if the service department says the TSB doesn't apply. If it is just a matter of me paying for 1/2 hours work, I will, but the real question is does the TSB being inapplicable mean the car is already up to that level or possibly unable to be updated or is it just a cost savings measure by Nissan to narrow the number of cars they need to apply this to. As long as there is no technical reason preventing me from having this update done, I want it. I imagine if I offer to pay for it they will give me few problems. What does everyone think about this?
it just a cost savings measure by Nissan to narrow the number of cars they need to apply this to
Old 03-27-2003, 02:01 PM

Re: Re: ECU Update even if TSB doesn't apply?

Originally posted by playero

it just a cost savings measure by Nissan to narrow the number of cars they need to apply this to
That was one of my thoughts. So the belief is that there is NO technical reason why the ECU couldn't be updated to this latest revision? If this is indeed the case, I'll try another dealer and if they too refuse, I'll just pay for it myself. Though why I should pay for a dam update under warranty is kind of BS to me, but oh well.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:03 PM

If it works, don't fix it . . .

What's the purpose of having your ECM flashed if you don't have a problem? And if you do have a problem and your vehicle is under warranty, why are you paying to have it flashed?

Old 03-27-2003, 02:07 PM

Re: If it works, don't fix it . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
What's the purpose of having your ECM flashed if you don't have a problem? And if you do have a problem and your vehicle is under warranty, why are you paying to have it flashed?

I do have the problem though maybe not as often as some others do. It mainly shows up in hot weather and if I can get it fixed then I want it fixed. However, if Nissan pulls the unable to duplicate on me, which they most assuredly will, then they won't do the work under warranty. I don't want to keep wasting my time bringing it in and out until they see what I see. If paying for 1/2 hours work gets them going, then so be it.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:45 PM

Re: Re: If it works, don't fix it . . .

I do have the problem though maybe not as often as some others do. It mainly shows up in hot weather and if I can get it fixed then I want it fixed. However, if Nissan pulls the unable to duplicate on me, which they most assuredly will, then they won't do the work under warranty. I don't want to keep wasting my time bringing it in and out until they see what I see. If paying for 1/2 hours work gets them going, then so be it.
Call up Nissan NA and tell them the dealer is refusing to do TSB work on your car. Nissan NA will then (atleast they did for me for another issue) call up the dealership and speak to them.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: If it works, don't fix it . . .

Originally posted by MacAlert

Call up Nissan NA and tell them the dealer is refusing to do TSB work on your car. Nissan NA will then (atleast they did for me for another issue) call up the dealership and speak to them.
The real question is if the dealer doesn't notice it and the ECU ID isn't listed, can the TSB still be performed? I think Nissan limited the number of applicable ECU IDs to save money, but that in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean that it still can't be performed to some benefit. I just want to know if the ECU can be updayed to this latest version regardless of what the TSB says is an applicable ECU ID.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If it works, don't fix it . . .

The real question is if the dealer doesn't notice it and the ECU ID isn't listed, can the TSB still be performed? I think Nissan limited the number of applicable ECU IDs to save money, but that in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean that it still can't be performed to some benefit. I just want to know if the ECU can be updayed to this latest version regardless of what the TSB says is an applicable ECU ID.
I can't imagine why not, particularly if you're willing to pay for it.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:25 PM

Tsb for hesitation not done.

Well I specifically went in to have this tsb looked at and got the run around from my dealer. They stated that this only applys if my check engine light was on. I need the printout of this tsb so that I can ram it in there faces. For Auto that is. On another note I told them that I was experiencing wind noise through my sunroof. 2 hrs later all they did was replace the wind deflector for free. If anyone has a written printout for auto on this tsb please email or pm me. Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 04:37 PM

Re: Tsb for hesitation not done.

Originally posted by CJLax
Well I specifically went in to have this tsb looked at and got the run around from my dealer. They stated that this only applys if my check engine light was on. I need the printout of this tsb so that I can ram it in there faces. For Auto that is. On another note I told them that I was experiencing wind noise through my sunroof. 2 hrs later all they did was replace the wind deflector for free. If anyone has a written printout for auto on this tsb please email or pm me. Thanks
I've got the TSBs posted on my make shift website. There really isn't an auto one exactly, really a generic one which calls for the same actions. You can find it in here as loss of power.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mpillmeier/TSB/