5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dirty oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:43 PM
trey

Dirty oil?

I changed my oil over to synthetic two weeks ago and i just checked it today to find that its already dirty?!? Is anyone else getting dirty oil? I did change the filter also.

Old 03-27-2003, 02:48 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Dirty oil?

Originally posted by trey
I changed my oil over to synthetic two weeks ago and i just checked it today to find that its already dirty?!? Is anyone else getting dirty oil? I did change the filter also.
it probably changed to that color after about 20 minutes of driving. You cannot "see" dirty oil. If you're concerned, get your oil tested but I'll (nearly) guarantee there is nothing wrong.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:09 PM
trey

Re: Re: Dirty oil?

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
it probably changed to that color after about 20 minutes of driving. You cannot "see" dirty oil. If you're concerned, get your oil tested but I'll (nearly) guarantee there is nothing wrong.
Yeah i guess your right, but I remember checking my oil in my truck a few days after, and it was soo clear i was having problems seeing it on the dip stick.

Old 03-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what do you mean "dirty"? because it is dark?!??!

check out my oil report in my sig and I can tell you that my oil looks really "dirty" when I take it out of my supercharged engine.

http://home.earthlink.net/~doctorkiw...-oil-42449.jpg

this one is taken after 5 dyno runs

dont judge the quality of the oil by the color.

btw, how many miles you have on your car?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: Dirty oil?

Yeah - I've seen that as well....from what I've heard here before, it doesn't matter if it is dark or looks dirty.

I had a quickie lube guy tell me scary stories based on oil color - but heck he has boat payments to make !!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 03:24 PM
trey

Yeah i guess i thought that dirty oil was dirty because it looked dirty to the eye. Thanks i learned something today! I have 8k on my car. Maybe its me that is dirty? haha

Old 03-27-2003, 04:47 PM

Yeah i guess i thought that dirty oil was dirty because it looked dirty to the eye. Thanks i learned something today! I have 8k on my car. Maybe its me that is dirty? haha
8000-mile is a bit early for synthetic. VQ will get "fully" broken-in after 10000.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:22 PM

Another thing is that a high quality synthetic will have a lot of deteregnt properties that will start to clean an engine that has been run on conventional oil for a while. This will cause the oil to look dark quicker as well.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Another thing is that a high quality synthetic will have a lot of deteregnt properties that will start to clean an engine that has been run on conventional oil for a while. This will cause the oil to look dark quicker as well.
So what's better, synthetic or conventional? Or does it really even matter as long as you change it religiously for the life of the car?
Old 03-27-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Patbsn

So what's better, synthetic or conventional? Or does it really even matter as long as you change it religiously for the life of the car?
synthetic is better

but if your car is a daily driven vehicle and you dont drive it hard. regular change of conventional oil and filter will be good enough.

check out Bill's oil report summary in the General forum. it has a huge list of oil reports that people submitted. If you guys ever did an oil test, dont forget to give a copy to Bill99Gxe so he can update the summary and we will have better idea how well does each oil protect our engine.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:23 PM

I switched to synthetic last time I changed my oil. How many miles between oil changes with synthetic is good?
Old 03-28-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

synthetic is better

but if your car is a daily driven vehicle and you dont drive it hard. regular change of conventional oil and filter will be good enough.

check out Bill's oil report summary in the General forum. it has a huge list of oil reports that people submitted. If you guys ever did an oil test, dont forget to give a copy to Bill99Gxe so he can update the summary and we will have better idea how well does each oil protect our engine.
Thanks, i'm reading up on it now... i don't drive my car hard, however, i do all highway driving for about an hour and half each way to work. My car is brand new, so i'll stick with the conventional until it is fully broken in and then re-evaluate.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:24 AM
It's chrome alright...

synthetic is better
No.

As with most things, it depends. Some dino oils are better than some synthetic oils. You have to do your research.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:47 PM

Which is better really depends on the intended use of the and what you are looking to get out of the car in terms of service. For some people, a high quality synthetic is the way to go because they're hard on the car and want the best protection. For others, synthetic oil is preferable simply because they don't want the hassle of the frequent oil changes. On the other hand, some people don't mind crawling under the car every 3k miles and take it easy t easy on the car so a conventional oil will allow them to realize an excellent service life from the car. For me, I beat the crap out of the car, don't want to always work on it and also want to keep it for a long time. A synthetic oil helps me do this and is well worth the money I spend on it. People get too tied up in the price of the oil and forget about the total cost sometimes.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
I switched to synthetic last time I changed my oil. How many miles between oil changes with synthetic is good?
Is there any kind of performance enchancement b/c u use synthetic oil? or is it just better oil to make your car last longeR?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:15 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by naerok

Is there any kind of performance enchancement b/c u use synthetic oil? or is it just better oil to make your car last longeR?
No, unless "better protected" can be considered an "enhancement." It will not increase horsepower if that's what you mean.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:38 PM

I noticed that on my car as well. I have had about 3,000 miles on my car and its starting look dirty as well. When I first put in synthetic oil it was nice and clear. This is normal stuff right? I have changed my synthetic oil every 3,000 - 5,000 miles. Is that okay or should I change it later?
Old 03-29-2003, 03:30 PM
trey

With synthetic oil you may see a little better gas mileage. Also, your car maybe seem a little more responsive.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:48 PM

The others pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't expect a significant performance benefit from the switch and the fuel economy will increase slightly.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:15 AM

No.

As with most things, it depends. Some dino oils are better than some synthetic oils. You have to do your research.
the expert has spoken

that's not what I see on the oil reports.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:56 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

synthetic is better

Let's say you use the car as a daily-driver, changing the oil routinely every 3K, but wanted to drive it hard once in a while, would synthetic still be the better choice over conventional oil?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:51 PM
It's chrome alright...

the expert has spoken :thumbsup

that's not what I see on the oil reports.:kiss
1. Did you actually read the report? Pennzoil make a damned fine synthetic oil

2. when did I say I was an expert? Think about what you're saying and see if it makes any sense... (paraphrased) "every synthetic oil is better than every dino oil." All I said was SOME dino oils are better. Show me on the oil report where every syth oil is better... rate them from top to bottom and we'll see if it's

synth
synth
synth
dino
dino
dino

or if it looks more like this

synth
synth
dino
synth
dino
dino

3. When was I a jack-*** the last time you made a true statement?
until you put all the oils in a list and prove ALL synthetics are better than ALL dinos.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:34 PM

finally.....the expert spoke again~.

1.I did read the report, thank you. Which part are you referring to? the report on the Pennzoil purebase? I only see few single reports for some vehicles. To me, that means it lacks of background monitoring and it's hard to establish a baseline just from one single report from one individual. Those reports that I look into are the ones that have been monitored frequently. We all see these numbers in different ways. How much is too much and will it be fair to compare two different brands of oil from two different cars with two different drivers?

They are just values to you and you only see if it is high or low. To me, it is a little more than that. Think.

No, unless "better protected" can be considered an "enhancement." It will not increase horsepower if that's what you mean.
here, you even said yourself that synthetics provide "better protection" What are you trying to prove? Don't play words with me. it's a waste of your time, and mine.

want to prove that you are so right? want to prove me wrong soo bad? Maybe it is time to stop asking Kevin for a mod position and start to do a series of reports on your car with pennzoil synthetic. Establish a baseline with it and then start all over again with your favorite dino oil. then tell us what happen.

want a cookie? Kevin doesnt have one for you~

1. Did you actually read the report? Pennzoil make a damned fine synthetic oil : rolleyes:

2. when did I say I was an expert? Think about what you're saying and see if it makes any sense... (paraphrased) "every synthetic oil is better than every dino oil." All I said was SOME dino oils are better. Show me on the oil report where every syth oil is better... rate them from top to bottom and we'll see if it's

synth
synth
synth
dino
dino
dino

or if it looks more like this

synth
synth
dino
synth
dino
dino

3. When was I a jack-*** the last time you made a true statement?
http://home.attbi.com/~kevinrod/max/hand.gif
until you put all the oils in a list and prove ALL synthetics are better than ALL dinos.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Wht98SE

Let's say you use the car as a daily-driver, changing the oil routinely every 3K, but wanted to drive it hard once in a while, would synthetic still be the better choice over conventional oil?
why dont you ask the expert in the house?

check out iwannabmw's posts in this thread.

how far's your daily driving? and what kinda driving is this? highway or local?
Old 04-05-2003, 07:20 AM
It's chrome alright...

here, you even said yourself that synthetics provide "better protection" What are you trying to prove? Don't play words with me. it's a waste of your time, and mine.

I'm not trying to play words with you, I'm waiting to see your list of which oils are best. I couldn't care less about proving you right or wrong but you seem to have something out for me so bring your data or go away.

"Some dino oils are better than some synthetic oils." Prove me wrong, please, and I'll apologize right here.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:36 AM

I'm not trying to play words with you, I'm waiting to see your list of which oils are best.
yea? you are contradicting yourself in this thread by, first, saying my statement is wrong, and then you supported my statement with your own words.

waiting to see my list? why do I bother to create such a list? First, I dont really give a rat-**** about this because the way you try to rank the oil is very unsophisticated. Your simple method of analyzing the data is to compare the number of each element in order to determine which oil provides the best protection. even a kid can do that, what a wast of time. It is more than that.

Second, It is you who challenged me at the first place without any evidence and all consistent data in Bill's report favors in synthetics.

I couldn't care less about proving you right or wrong but you seem to have something out for me so bring your data or go away.
so first you challenged me and now you are backing out? nice try. Next time when you decided to make another smart-**** comment, think first. Think if you have enough evidence to support your comment.

"Some dino oils are better than some synthetic oils." Prove me wrong, please, and I'll apologize right here.
I thought you are supposed to prove me wrong by presenting your stream of data from your own reports. I am not the one who started this. You want to be a smart-**** by making some useless comments about my statement and you dont have anything to support you. Now you are trying to get me to do some work for you?

It is a good time for you to contribute to maxima.org. so, stop attacking people at every street racing thread because it is none of your business and stop kissing admin's butt for a mod position.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:08 AM
It's chrome alright...

so first you challenged me and now you are backing out? nice try. Next time when you decided to make another smart-**** comment, think first. Think if you have enough evidence to support your comment.
You really have a problem. Do you think You have to do your research was me "challenging" you? My reply was the plural 'you' as in "everyone needs to do his own research."

If you want to examine every post word-by-word...
data in Bill's report favors in synthetics
What, you're backing down? So you're agreeing with me now? But you said all synthetics were better than all dino oils... so why'd you say favor? I said "Some dino oils are better than some synthetic oils" and it's true. Since you made the first assertion (sorry for the big word, that means 'statement'), defend it. You made a blanket statement that "synthetic is better" (first, I might add) and I disagreed. Then you look at the spreadsheet and pick what you want to pick for info and claim you're right... this is the worst debate I've ever been in. Usually the opponent has either ammunition or smarts and you seem to be lacking both.

So I figured I'd look for the info I knew was out there (sorry if my searching bumped anyone this morning). You are , maxi-pad. Since I know you'll only read what supports your opinion I'll put BILL'S statement here:

"Actually Castrol Syntec Blend is one of the poorest oils from an empirical standpoint. It offers no advantages over Castrol's excellent GTX conventional oil"
(whole thead here)

BTW, I was kidding when I asked to be a mod, and actually I asked be be an admin but like you've already shown you either didn't read the whole thing, misunderstood what was written, or only chose to use some of what you read. I give mods more and more credit for dealing with jackasses like you. I wouldn't have been as patient and would have either locked this thread because or just banned you for a day or two.

Another decent thread down the tubes because of an ***. My 'ignore list' just got heavier.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:01 PM

You really have a problem. Do you think You have to do your research was me "challenging" you? My reply was the plural 'you' as in "everyone needs to do his own research."
backing off now??

man....so you qouted bill's post...that's good. you actually using the search feature...that's good. But you quote the wrong thing Dumbass...

Blend is a synthetic? I thought you will find better evidnece to support your comment. But you find this? OMG. you are dragging away from our main arguement. We are talking about synthetic vs conventional oil and where the hell you came up with something that is not related to this at all.

this is the best you can do? quoting someone else's post and you still quote the wrong thing? Maybe I should help you on your side a little bit to make this last a bit longer. Go look at bill's report on some of the synthetic oil. Some of them didnt perform as well as some of the conventional oil You didnt even use that in your argument.

Now you show that you dont have much knowledge in synthetic (that's why you brought syntec Blend into this arguement) First I thought you cant analyze the data or just see numbers like a 6 year old. I guess I overestimated you.

kinda early to put out that owned flag, eh?

So I figured I'd look for the info I knew was out there (sorry if my searching bumped anyone this morning). You are : bill:, maxi-pad. Since I know you'll only read what supports your opinion I'll put BILL'S statement here:

"Actually Castrol Syntec Blend is one of the poorest oils from an empirical standpoint. It offers no advantages over Castrol's excellent GTX conventional oil"
(whole thead here)
BTW, I was kidding when I asked to be a mod, and actually I asked be be an admin but like you've already shown you either didn't read the whole thing, misunderstood what was written, or only chose to use some of what you read. I give mods more and more credit for dealing with jackasses like you. I wouldn't have been as patient and would have either locked this thread because or just banned you for a day or two.
ok.... you wouldnt = you still cant. until one day you can, then we will talk again. meanwhile, keep beggin for a mod position, you are getting there.

Another decent thread down the tubes because of an ***. My 'ignore list' just got heavier.
another decent thread? hahahah! a guy came up telling people that his oil looks dirty. You came in and gave some useless comments, and gave some useless information. "oil looks dirty" is a wrong thing to start with. it just got worst when you came in with your Blend vs conventional thingy. You still call this a decent thread. What a decent thread, for you.

your ignore list got heavier? you are having a lot of problems here? on the internet?
Old 04-05-2003, 03:20 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

what kinda driving is this? highway or local?
a combination of both during the week, along w/ a 65 mile commute from metro Detroit to Flint on Sundays
Old 04-05-2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Wht98SE

a combination of both during the week, along w/ a 65 mile commute from metro Detroit to Flint on Sundays
if you drain your engine every 3000 miles then its ok. when I sent it my oil (3000miles, castrol GTX, OEM filter) the TBN of the oil is 6.5. (2 will be a low TBN).

summer is coming up soon. you also have to consider the weather at your place. if you have hot summer weather >100f, I would suggest to use synthetic with longer drain duration.

short trip/hot weather or both are bad for the oil.