5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 and 2k3 in NYC..??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 08:20 PM
SoloMaxima

2k2 and 2k3 in NYC..??

i was just wondering if anyone in NYC that didn't get their HIDs stolen before..and where do you park and how often you drive your max out...
i wanna get a 2k3 6speed but i'm afraid of getting my HIDs stolen...i go to flushing a lot...and all of the 5 boroughs a lot also...
i might just get a V6 5 speed Alti...

Old 04-08-2003, 03:37 PM

unless you're planning on garaging the maxima... get the altima. i live in a "good" neighborhood in brooklyn and i had my hids stolen twice... my third pair is sitting safely in my parent's garage in staten island, while i have 2k1 lights on my car. i don't plan on replacing the lights until i have a garage to park in.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:46 PM

HIDS

I live in the Queens area and haven't had a problem yet with my 2k3SE. I've parked it everywhere including Flushing. Unless you are going to park your car in the garage or in a safe area, than I might second thing about it. But I think the HID theft is slowing down.

Get a decent alarm too.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HID

I had my car 1 week before they stole one of my lights. It got stolen right infront of my girlfriends house in dyker heights. The car is 2 weeks old today and everytime i go to my girlfriends house im looking out the window. It really sucks!!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:26 AM

I would not get one or swap out the lights for regular halogens. In NYC it is just a matter of time before they are stolen. I won't take my eye off my car at my g/f's house in queens (not that I go there that often with the Max). She might be moving to Bayside which is supposidly a "nice" area but I've heard about many HID thefts there as well.

In LI I feel safer, but I still won't park it for any period of time outside of my garage. Hopefully this will die down in a few years because it's really interfearing with my enjoyment of the car
Old 04-09-2003, 05:53 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by spta97
I would not get one or swap out the lights for regular halogens. In NYC it is just a matter of time before they are stolen. I won't take my eye off my car at my g/f's house in queens (not that I go there that often with the Max). She might be moving to Bayside which is supposidly a "nice" area but I've heard about many HID thefts there as well.

In LI I feel safer, but I still won't park it for any period of time outside of my garage. Hopefully this will die down in a few years because it's really interfearing with my enjoyment of the car
Hey Spta..whats going on buddy?? I actually live in Bayside and have to say besides 2 GLE's, none of the others here have been vandalized.

I am lucky though, live in a private house with a garage so my car is protected when I'm home....in so far as LI goes, I haven't seen any theft out there when I drive out there (which happens to be every weekend)

Old 04-09-2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

Hey Spta..whats going on buddy?? I actually live in Bayside and have to say besides 2 GLE's, none of the others here have been vandalized.

I am lucky though, live in a private house with a garage so my car is protected when I'm home....in so far as LI goes, I haven't seen any theft out there when I drive out there (which happens to be every weekend)
Chillin'

So where were the GLE's? Bayside is a very nice area compaired to the rest of Queens, but I'm still nervous anywhere in Queens at all. Not to say LI doesn't have it's bad areas. My friend and I had to go to Copiague the other day to get some lugs for his new rims and all I can say is
Old 04-09-2003, 07:17 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by spta97

Chillin'

So where were the GLE's? Bayside is a very nice area compaired to the rest of Queens, but I'm still nervous anywhere in Queens at all. Not to say LI doesn't have it's bad areas. My friend and I had to go to Copiague the other day to get some lugs for his new rims and all I can say is
not to offend any Copiague dwellers but Copiague is really white trash....I wouldn't worry about theft as much as just meeting up with garbage....

If you want to see bad Spta, I invite you to ride with me through some East NY (brooklyn) neighborhoods and of course can't forget Hunts Point, Bronx.

Most of the 02-03 Maxi's in Bayside are owned by Older people (women mostly) and are GLE's....very few SE's, except for the younger crowd (me included).....Bayside is probably one of the best areas in Queens to live, except for Douglaston and Little Neck.

Someone said in the above posts that the theft is slowing down, which I agree on. I also haven't seen a TL "eyeless" in quite a while

Old 04-09-2003, 07:20 AM

i live in the flushing bayside area and i have a 2k2. i haven't had my hids stolen, but instead i got into an accident and broke them.

if your gonna take it around queens and nyc, i would seriously recommend getting another car, or getting the 2k2/2k3 and switching out the lights. it's not worth the stress if your constantly gonna be checking on your car. if you chill in queens alot at night, i would definitely recommend against the max with HID's. unless u plan on valeting everywhere u go, or private parking.

alarm wouldn't really matter since it's only a 2 minute job.

also, i've kept my car in the garage whenever i was home. however, there are 2 other 2k2's on my block who got their lights stolen twice. i was just lucky to have kept it in the garage or mine would have gotten stolen also. and another thing, i never take my car to the main street area at night. even though the police station is right there, u'd be amazed at how many hids get jacked anyway.

NYGUY74 - how did you wire your 2k1 lights to your max? i'm assumin you have a 2k2 or a 2k3.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:17 AM

I live in Brooklyn and I can't say it can't happen where I live but I think it is pretty safe.

1- You have to get past the doorman
2- You will have to get into the garage by entry of two locked steel doors.
3- And once you get into it, If the guy monitoring the carmeras don't see you the guard with the 90lb German Shepherd with get you.

When I first moved there I was like “all this BS for the garage” but I soon realize it is all worth it.

But it doesn’t matter where you park at night you have to worry about when you go out (i.e. The Mall, The Movies, Dinner, etc...).

But you should get it, if you are really concern you can always change the lights to 2K-2K1 lights.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:20 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by nice95GLE
But it doesn’t matter where you park at night you have to worry about when you go out (i.e. The Mall, The Movies, Dinner, etc...).

But you should get it, if you are really concern you can always change the lights to 2K-2K1 lights.
what and get rid of our beautiful HID lighting??? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

as for going out, whenever I go somewhere besides Walmart/Target I can just take the momduke's 99 Pathfinder out...(beautiful thing living with parents, you can use their cars!)

Old 04-09-2003, 09:54 AM

i wouldnt make a decision on buying any paticular car by theft ratings in my oppinion....if the max is what you like why settle for an altima? the whole hid theft is definately not cool but its not the only car that gets ripped off or parts taken....i live on LI border line queens and LI but technicaly LI in a pretty decent neighborhood..used to be better tho, and i have had a 98 se stolen right in front of my house, they have tried to steal my 2k2 cuaght em twice....a month ago i physically caught 2 punks in a civic in my driveway with a screw driver...i didnt get my hands on em cause they took off but i did get a piece of 3/4 galvinized pipe thru his back window...i lucked out cause he got the screw driver between my quarter panel and hood before my dogs started barking and i ran out, now i have the car parked with the nose kissing the garge door while block in by another car i installed a halogen motion detector set on sensitive and my trusty bulldogs...ya think im paraniod? dam straight! what can ya do tho..i dont regret buying my car...ive seen 2 new i35's with no loghts recently, and there where 3 acuras stolen in 2 months so go figure....and actually car theives go to easy targets regarless of location, but location might make you an easy target.. for ex..my neighborhood is very quiet and right by a busy local highway which makes it a prime spot..
Old 04-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What are people doing to prevent the lights from being ripped out? I just got a brand new '03 SE and definately would like to avoid that from happening. Is there anything else besides that sound alarm? How much is that running? But does that really work?

thanks
Old 04-09-2003, 10:41 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Noodlesz
What are people doing to prevent the lights from being ripped out? I just got a brand new '03 SE and definately would like to avoid that from happening. Is there anything else besides that sound alarm? How much is that running? But does that really work?

thanks
Only one thing you can do to assure against theft is to park the car in a garage 24/7...as soon as it hits the street, its a potential target, at least that is in NY/NJ...

the HID anti-theft kit is useless....

Old 04-09-2003, 11:24 AM
ABS

I think it is important to realize why it is that the lights are being stolen. I can only think of two reasons: Pre 2K2/2K3 5th Gen Max owners who want HID's installed and current 2K2/2K3 owners who need to have their HID's replaced (after an accident, etc.) Most people have insurance to cover damage from an accident. This would imply that the demand for the HID's is solely from fellow Maxima owners. Does anyone agree?

IMHO, the problem has really been caused by Nissan making the mistake of not changing the size/shape and/or mounting method for the HID's from pre 2K2 Maximas to post 2K2 Maximas.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by ABS
I think it is important to realize why it is that the lights are being stolen. I can only think of two reasons: Pre 2K2/2K3 5th Gen Max owners who want HID's installed and current 2K2/2K3 owners who need to have their HID's replaced (after an accident, etc.) Most people have insurance to cover damage from an accident. This would imply that the demand for the HID's is solely from fellow Maxima owners. Does anyone agree?
this is not the *REAL* reasoning...

To a criminal, the housings are useless and discarded. All they want is the wiring, ballasts and bulbs....with this they can install the kit in ANY car!!!!!

you'll probably find that if they steal your lights, theres a good chance that down your block, you'll find your housings minus bulbs and ballasts and wiring.

There probably are criminals stealing them to sell them whole, but not 100%

Old 04-09-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by EddiexAhn
i live in the flushing bayside area and i have a 2k2. i haven't had my hids stolen, but instead i got into an accident and broke them.

if your gonna take it around queens and nyc, i would seriously recommend getting another car, or getting the 2k2/2k3 and switching out the lights. it's not worth the stress if your constantly gonna be checking on your car. if you chill in queens alot at night, i would definitely recommend against the max with HID's. unless u plan on valeting everywhere u go, or private parking.

alarm wouldn't really matter since it's only a 2 minute job.

also, i've kept my car in the garage whenever i was home. however, there are 2 other 2k2's on my block who got their lights stolen twice. i was just lucky to have kept it in the garage or mine would have gotten stolen also. and another thing, i never take my car to the main street area at night. even though the police station is right there, u'd be amazed at how many hids get jacked anyway.

NYGUY74 - how did you wire your 2k1 lights to your max? i'm assumin you have a 2k2 or a 2k3.
I just dropped my car by the mechanic and picked her up the next day. The 2k1 lights aren't an exact fit for my 2k2 (which still upsets me every time i look at her), but, i wasn't given much of a choice.