5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear hops sideways on bumps...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rear hops sideways on bumps...

Hi all..

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I wanted some new insights as to ways to fix or muffle this annoying problem.

One of the highways I drive on has many speed-bump-like humps in it. While driving on this road, when I hit these bumps at any speed above 40, my Max hops to the side (right or left, never same side). The feeling is like I'm loosing control of the rear of my vehicle.

I'm sure this has to do with the non-independent rear suspension, but I don't know what to do about it. I used to have a 1990 Nissan Stanza before my Max and being that my Max is in the shop getting the HIDs fixed (damn theft), I've been using the Stanza. I notice that the Stanza, although far less of a vehicle, doesn't do this at all.

It peeves me to have spent so much money on a new car and then hop into my old one and feel like I'm in more control. Does anyone have any remedies for this problem? I know many say an RSB will help lower the roll, but that's not what I'm worried about, it's more this hopping feeling I get when going over bumps at higher speeds...

Any help or explanations will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Got Projectors?

Re: Rear hops sideways on bumps...

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Hi all..

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I wanted some new insights as to ways to fix or muffle this annoying problem.

One of the highways I drive on has many speed-bump-like humps in it. While driving on this road, when I hit these bumps at any speed above 40, my Max hops to the side (right or left, never same side). The feeling is like I'm loosing control of the rear of my vehicle.

I'm sure this has to do with the non-independent rear suspension, but I don't know what to do about it. I used to have a 1990 Nissan Stanza before my Max and being that my Max is in the shop getting the HIDs fixed (damn theft), I've been using the Stanza. I notice that the Stanza, although far less of a vehicle, doesn't do this at all.

It peeves me to have spent so much money on a new car and then hop into my old one and feel like I'm in more control. Does anyone have any remedies for this problem? I know many say an RSB will help lower the roll, but that's not what I'm worried about, it's more this hopping feeling I get when going over bumps at higher speeds...

Any help or explanations will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Nick
Yep, you're experiencing that wonderful rear beam axle. I've heard that a RSB makes a real difference, but as far as that goes I don't know. I'll order one right away if it cures the problem you're talking about. I get it all the time on long sweeping curves. Much more fun to take those curves in the G35 - don't even feel a thing.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shocks!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Rear hops sideways on bumps...

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Yep, you're experiencing that wonderful rear beam axle. I've heard that a RSB makes a real difference, but as far as that goes I don't know. I'll order one right away if it cures the problem you're talking about. I get it all the time on long sweeping curves. Much more fun to take those curves in the G35 - don't even feel a thing.
Installing RSB will only increase that hopping of the rear on bumps. The reason it is doing it in the first place, because of stupid rear beam.
I used to have RSB it was scary hitting a bump at high speed when taking a slight turn.
I love the way my car handles without it now.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Rear hops sideways on bumps...

Originally posted by Dany

Installing RSB will only increase that hopping of the rear on bumps. The reason it is doing it in the first place, because of stupid rear beam.
I used to have RSB it was scary hitting a bump at high speed when taking a slight turn.
I love the way my car handles without it now.
I'm with you. I just took off my RSB yesterday for the same reasons. I'm going to rely on new springs/struts to fix the rear with modified mounts to reduce the liklihood of bottoming out.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yea..

Scary is a good word for it.. I'll be driving and all the sudden BUMP.. and I'm almost in the lane next to me.. Makes me want to drive below the speed limit in those places..

So what struts, springs, and modified mount combo has yielded the best results for getting rid of or reducing this pesky problem?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by massvmax2003
Yea..

Scary is a good word for it.. I'll be driving and all the sudden BUMP.. and I'm almost in the lane next to me.. Makes me want to drive below the speed limit in those places..

So what struts, springs, and modified mount combo has yielded the best results for getting rid of or reducing this pesky problem?

Thanks,
Nick
That's what I do...just slow down...the situation is even worse when i try to take an off ramp on the highway...when the rears go over the metal dividers in the asphalt, my max hops...scary....in the rain, forget about it....

I three have been looking to get a RSB...the max's roll is horrible!!!...give me a line any day...
Old 04-02-2003, 04:11 AM

The entire 5th gen has this problem. It seems that it became worse in 2003 when Nissan, for some unknown reason, softened the rear shocks. Believe it or not - adding an FSTB helps some, the rear swaybar helps quite a bit and better rear shocks would also help a lot. Wheel/tire combination is also an issue, though much harder to fix - lighter is better, softer sidewalls help too (16 better than 17, etc). I would also suggest 2-3 lbs less air pressure in the rear (look at the weight distribution - 65/35 - why would the tire pressures be the same?)
Old 04-02-2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by wdave
Believe it or not - adding an FSTB helps some, the rear swaybar helps quite a bit and better rear shocks would also help a lot. [/B]
FSTB, really? I would think the RSTB will probably help dissipate some of the impacts from the "nasty" road bump. I also think that a good set of shocks will help reduce the sideway hopping. The RSB, IMO will make things worse...The rear beam axle really sucks in that condition!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by VMaximus02

FSTB, really? I would think the RSTB will probably help dissipate some of the impacts from the "nasty" road bump. I also think that a good set of shocks will help reduce the sideway hopping. The RSB, IMO will make things worse...The rear beam axle really sucks in that condition!
As I said - "believe it or not" - I was surprised, but the effect was noticeable.

As I said, good shocks will help.

The RSB doesn't have much effect on the hop problem exept on diagonal bumps where it does help.

Yes, the fundamental problem is the beam axle, but they can be tamed.