5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intake question

Ok, this subject probably has been beatin to a pulp, but I need to ask. i have been researching on all the WAI intakes. I was looking at the leading contenders of Cattman, Frankencar (claiming about 10hp increase), and stillen. Cost isnt really a matter since they are all roughly 200 dollars. So, what I am trying to find out, which one is actually best. I know everyone has a specific opinion on this, but I was wanting to know if any of them give more horses than others, if there were any problems with any of these. Also which filter to get with it. I know the Cattman can come with a JWT pop, and the Frankencar with a dry apex-i filter. I have also heard problems from K&N filters. Dont know what exactly.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:11 PM

Frankencar with silicon couplers, their high quality clamps and a Apexi filter!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:15 PM

GAB (Ghetto Air Box)!!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:30 AM

Has anyone dynoed the Ghetto Air Box??? Beats spending 200 dollars and make a few incicions. lol
Old 04-02-2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Fezzik
Has anyone dynoed the Ghetto Air Box??? Beats spending 200 dollars and make a few incicions. lol
I'll be dynoing real soon and I plan on doing a comparison between the two.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Fezzik
While the Ghetto airbox seems the cheapest, it's actually the most expensive in the long run. Try to sell the car this way. The FrankenCar Intake has consitantly shown higher numbers. Take this with a grain of salt because you will not notice a 2-3 hp difference. The main reason that I prefer the FrankenCar over the others is 3 reasons. 1) I like the sound better. 2) It's the easiest to install. 3) It comes with the best filter on the market that has proven it filters dirt better and still provides high airflow.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Virus

While the Ghetto airbox seems the cheapest, it's actually the most expensive in the long run. Try to sell the car this way.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 04-02-2003, 11:39 AM

While the Ghetto airbox seems the cheapest, it's actually the most expensive in the long run. Try to sell the car this way. The FrankenCar Intake has consitantly shown higher numbers. Take this with a grain of salt because you will not notice a 2-3 hp difference. The main reason that I prefer the FrankenCar over the others is 3 reasons. 1) I like the sound better. 2) It's the easiest to install. 3) It comes with the best filter on the market that has proven it filters dirt better and still provides high airflow.
How is it the most expensive in the long run? The sound is almost identical to a Frankencar, the Gab is extremely easy to do, especially if you're stock, and a K&N panel filter is the same thing, but flat. And there is definitely a gain in low end with the GAB over the Frankencar.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

How is it the most expensive in the long run? The sound is almost identical to a Frankencar, the Gab is extremely easy to do, especially if you're stock, and a K&N panel filter is the same thing, but flat. And there is definitely a gain in low end with the GAB over the Frankencar.
How much does the Air Box cost to replace?
Old 04-02-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by T-bone

What would be the point in replacing it?
Old 04-02-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by T-bone

Ding, ding, ding (lightbulb) That's what I was referring to. I've seen this done to other cars that friends have owned over the years and when they find out how much the stock airbox costs to replace, their jaws dropped. Plus, I would really like to see the dyno #'s because I don't see how it could produce more than the FrankenCar. It's still very restrictive from the airbox to the manifold.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:50 AM

Ding, ding, ding (lightbulb) That's what I was referring to. I've seen this done to other cars that friends have owned over the years and when they find out how much the stock airbox costs to replace, their jaws dropped. Plus, I would really like to see the dyno #'s because I don't see how it could produce more than the FrankenCar. It's still very restrictive from the airbox to the manifold.
All you'd need to replace is the piece that holds the filter. FInd that at a junkyard, 20 bucks at most. And like I said, I'll be dynoing the Frankencar and this back to back within this month.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:15 PM

All you'd need to replace is the piece that holds the filter. FInd that at a junkyard, 20 bucks at most. And like I said, I'll be dynoing the Frankencar and this back to back within this month.
Back to back may not be very good since it takes our ECU's so long to learn airflow info. I don't think you can buy just that piece even at a junk yard. They will make you buy the whole box.

FYI: I wanted to buy just the rubber accordian midpipe piece for the Altima so that I could fit it to my FrankenCar midpipe and Nissan wanted $45.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:46 PM

Back to back may not be very good since it takes our ECU's so long to learn airflow info. I don't think you can buy just that piece even at a junk yard. They will make you buy the whole box.
I'm not sure about the junkyards where you live, but the ones out here are happy to do away with any parts I want. I pick and choose they tell me how much.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:48 PM

I'm not sure about the junkyards where you live, but the ones out here are happy to do away with any parts I want. I pick and choose they tell me how much.
I wish they did that out here.