5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Arrggg - Freakin Bose CD player skips and dealers unwilling to fix it

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
swallac2

Arrggg - Freakin Bose CD player skips and dealers unwilling to fix it

I gotta vent, because I know a lot of you have been through it. But last night I dropped of my car for the hesitation fix and also mentioned the fact that the my CD player skips. It skips no matter the time the place the temp. It skips when it wants and there isn't a way for me to make it happen. So I told them all of this and I got the "Unable to duplicate the problem" line. I told him I disagreed and there is a prob and unless they are willing to give me a tech for the next 5 days to ride around with me everywhere that they may never hear it.

I told him I understoud his position, but the problem existed whether he believed me or not. So I called NNA hoping to get a decent person on the line, my bad. So I tell this girl my prob. and I told her I understand the dealers position. She gives me the same BS, so I explain that I paid $800 for an option that works when it wants to, and that ain't right.

I know others have complained about their BOSE heads, but with no search I couldn't go back too far. I went a couple of pages back scanning throough, but no dice.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:29 AM
NT2SHBBY

did you check your discs, make sure they aren't scratched??

mine doesnt skip

Old 04-01-2003, 10:36 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
did you check your discs, make sure they aren't scratched??

mine doesnt skip
Ya it does it on all discs burned or pressed. Infact yesterday on my way to the dealer when it was skipping I had the new Linkin Park in there. That just came out last week and has only seen my car, no other player.

Last year my player was fine, but this winter it went to hell.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:18 AM

I just had the Bose head unit replaced yesterday in my car for the same reason. Seemed to happen more whe it was cold (even at 30 to 40 degrees), but did it at random also. Fortunately, the dealer was able to duplicate it once the car had cooled off...

If the dealer won't work with you on it, I'd say that NNA is the right way to handle it!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:43 PM

Mine skips too

My Maxima is out of warranty but the CD player skips you wouldn't believe. Any smudges, fingerprints, or scratches on a CD and when you play it....

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.

It doesn't skip like when a CD player is bumped, but just this ticking sound in the background. Great system, that Bose. I haven't even mentioned the fact that the radio (FM) sounds like it is coming through a busted speaker, even though the CD is crystal clear (except the skipping).
Old 04-01-2003, 04:37 PM

Our winter wasn't harsh or anything and my Bose does it too. It started out skipping and even stopped playing CDs altogether from the HU. Only the changer works. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it no problem. I understand that some of you weren't able to duplicate it, but mine got progressively worse, and fast. Within a couple of days it went from skipping every once in a while to skipping every couple minutes, to skipping every 10 seconds, then quit completely.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CD Cutout

I've got the same problem in my 2k2 that I just picked up used. When the dealer gives you the 'can't replicate problem' insist on a ride along for 5 minutes - BEFORE YOU PAY THE BILL. I'm bringing mine in this month for service, and to repair/replace the CD.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:56 PM

I had a problem that when it was below 35° outside the cd player would skip for about 30 minutes until it became nice and warm. In Extreme cold it was useless. The problem was definitely worse with older CDs( probabily scratched ). Anyway, the Dealer replaced my head unit at no cost to me. The problem is exactly the same with the new unit. CAN NOT WIN! I have just learned to live with it.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:08 PM
swallac2

Thing is that mine skips no matter the temp. It may play fine when the car first starts off and then may start to skip a half hour in.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Banned

Do you guys take out the CDs when you're done with them, or do you leave them in the changer? Reason I ask is because when I was picking up my Max, the dealer told me to take the CDs out when I'm done listening to them. He said this will prevent dirt from getting on the laser heads (or something like that). I've been doing it thus far (4 months, and cold winter), and no skipping (yet, but hopefully won't happen).