5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Security System Flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 05:55 AM

Security System Flaw?

Yesterday I returned from work, got into my car, and drove to my house. I had to go in for a few minutes so I turned it off. About 5 minutes later I got back in and tried to start it and it just kept cycling but would not turn over - as if the fuel pump had been cut off. I checked some fuses and all was well...I heard some relays clicking and about five minutes later it started right up.

Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:59 AM

Re: Security System Flaw?

Originally posted by cmr72
Yesterday I returned from work, got into my car, and drove to my house. I had to go in for a few minutes so I turned it off. About 5 minutes later I got back in and tried to start it and it just kept cycling but would not turn over - as if the fuel pump had been cut off. I checked some fuses and all was well...I heard some relays clicking and about five minutes later it started right up.

Any ideas?
I would guess that the receiver that picks up the key transponder might be on its way out. Might wanna take it in. Those occurences usually become more frequent as they deteriorate. If you have a good service advisor at the dealer then give em a ring.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:23 AM

Doesn't seem to be the key transponder...happened again yesterday. I cranked it for 30 seconds and it finally started. Drove it straight to the dealer and will find out some detail today.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:39 AM

Doesn't seem to be the key transponder...happened again yesterday. I cranked it for 30 seconds and it finally started. Drove it straight to the dealer and will find out some detail today.
something like this happened to me once before, 2k2 GLE. i had driven from boston to long island...fairly normal driving, no excessive speeding or throttle or anything like that. i got up the next day, and the car wouldn't start. finally started on the third try with about a 10 second crank and lots of throttle. it never happened to me again, so i left it alone...fill us in on any details about what the dealer said. thanks a lot, and good luck with it!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:01 AM

security flaw

Please let us know what you find out at the dealer. This sounds like the "hard start" problem that happens to many of us.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:03 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: security flaw

Originally posted by tonyg
Please let us know what you find out at the dealer. This sounds like the "hard start" problem that happens to many of us.
Yup many 2k and 2k1 owners have this. I have it myself and didn't even see it for the past 8 months or so until I got an autostart system installed on my car. Now I can't even start the damn thing using the autostart until the car sits for at least a few hours. It annoys the shiat out of me because the autostart system doesn't even crank the car more than one turn of the starter then it'll stop if it sees the car not responding.

So yeah if you could let us know what the dealer finds we would all appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:33 AM

Re: security flaw

Originally posted by tonyg
Is there any history (links to posts would help) on this matter? I foresee a dispute with the dealership. "Sorry - couldn't find anything wrong with your car"
Old 04-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Here are some other threads of the same problem:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=starting

Still searching...I'll post more threads.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Old 04-04-2003, 10:24 AM

Thanks
Old 04-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

From what I have read in various threads it seems the problems lies with fuel delivery. Something in the fuel rail is not priming sufficiently. The best thing to do is turn the ignition to on and wait about 10 or 15 seconds, then crank it.

I'm still bitter about my remote start. But at least I can change the amount of crank time, right now it only cranks for 0.6 seconds. I can have it crank up to 4.0 seconds and hopefully that should be enough.

I have yet to see anyone who has had this hard start problem fixed, or even acknowledged by the dealer as a definite "problem."
Old 04-04-2003, 11:03 AM

are you guys..

wait until the "chime" sounds from the acc. post before you crank the engine. That's take about 5-10 seconds.
It might eliminate the fule delivery issue.

let me know
Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: are you guys..

Originally posted by exunaja
wait until the "chime" sounds from the acc. post before you crank the engine. That's take about 5-10 seconds.
It might eliminate the fule delivery issue.

let me know
No it doesn't and I can tell you why. Using my remote start, Hornet 554T, after triggering it to start it first turns the car on and about 5 to 10 seconds later it cranks it. I can hear the chime before it cranks. So I don't think that works. But it was a good idea.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:21 AM

I Picked up the car on Saturday - the service manager gave me a piece of paper from Nissan on how to start the car "cold"...bunch of BS - 3,400 miles on it and I am supposed to follow a set of instructions on starting my new car???

It failed to start one mile from the dealership...They picked it up and of course it started right up when it got there.

Anyway...I left the car with them and yesterday he told me that they ordered a bunch of parts to fix the problem...something like the ECU wasn't sending a signal to the fuel primer??? I will post the list of replacement parts after I get the car back and it actually WORKS.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:22 AM

I Picked up the car on Saturday - the service manager gave me a piece of paper from Nissan on how to start the car "cold"...bunch of BS - 3,400 miles on it and I am supposed to follow a set of instructions on starting my new car???

It failed to start one mile from the dealership...They picked it up and of course it started right up when it got there.

Anyway...I left the car with them and yesterday he told me that they ordered a bunch of parts to fix the problem...something like the ECU wasn't sending a signal to the fuel primer??? I will post the list of replacement parts after I get the car back and it actually WORKS.

Thanks for the updates. Maybe we can finally get this hard start issue resolved.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 AM

The service manager just called me...He replaced the Cam Shaft Position Sensor (B1).

Says it works fine now...We'll see.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:25 PM

FIXED!

It seems to be working now...here's what my invoice reads:

DE64AA RPL CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
1 23731-6J900 SENSOR ASM
1 T18628 FREIGHT
FC: AA32
PART# 237316J900
Old 04-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Right on! Good to hear it's fixed, let's just hope it doesn't come back.

I got my auto-start fixed today. It's nice to have it working every time I want to start it. Something with the voltage hi/low that wasn't programmed. Whatever..it's fixed, works for me.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem right after I put in the SC and it was that the cam shaft position sensor wire was pinched behind the SC plate.
Once I fixed it I never had the problem again. So I don't think that you will have the problem again.

Good luck