5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Get the Chrome off my windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 02:53 AM

Has anyone replaced their chrome weather stripping with black stripping. This would really help the appearance. Why did they not make this standard from the factory as previous gen of SE Max's had. Does this chrome bother anyone else, because it catches my eye everytime I look at the car. And I feel like I really must have it black. The SE should have the shaowline trim.

If anyone has done this mod, please give me the info with regards to where to get it and cost. Thanx!
Old 04-04-2003, 02:56 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:31 AM
NT2SHBBY

you can sand it lightly with some low grit sand paper, get it roughed up good and shoot it with a couple coats of semi-gloss black spray paint. Remember of course to mask everything around it.

I personally like the chrome...matches the whole look of my car

Old 04-04-2003, 09:16 PM

black out chrome

All you have to do is get black-out tape. you can get it at autozone for about 4.00.Its like pin stripping,if you dont like it just peel it off. I did my max,it helps if its warm so it can bend easier, on the 5th gen max around the back window its alittle hard it took me a couple of trys to get it right. just use a razerblade to edge it, not to difficult
Old 04-05-2003, 08:42 PM

Do you have any pics (close-ups), i'd love to see the results of using the black-out tape. How long have you had it on? does it peel if it gets over 100 degress during summer.

With regards to using sandpaper. I am a little apprehensive about sanding but I am willing to give it a try. If any more possibilites are avail, I would consider because I am extremely motivated to black out the chrome.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:31 PM

this might help ...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=75719

Old 04-06-2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by MaxAppeal
Do you have any pics (close-ups), i'd love to see the results of using the black-out tape. How long have you had it on? does it peel if it gets over 100 degress during summer.

With regards to using sandpaper. I am a little apprehensive about sanding but I am willing to give it a try. If any more possibilites are avail, I would consider because I am extremely motivated to black out the chrome.
I have had it on forover a year and I live in socal.So it gets hot and it does not just peal off, it will shrenk a little so over lape the ends. I dont have ascanner so I cant send pictures.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:46 PM

i live in socal also... i will look into it, thanx
Old 04-27-2003, 12:52 AM

The manufacturer is Trim Brite, Black Out tape part# T-9005.

Works great. Very easy to put on but takes time to trim and make it look nice. After you're done it will match EXACTLY with the black molding on the rear windshield and no one will be able to tell it's a tape.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AYAYAY
i appreciatte the info! did you do yours? pics?
Old 04-27-2003, 01:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by
this might help ...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=75719
Dude I have no clue why your on ignore? I hope you guys saw this.
Click on that link.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by HitManSE

Dude I have no clue why your on ignore? I hope you guys saw this.
Click on that link.
yeah, i checked it out the first time you posted it. Thanks!

BTW, i have no idea why im set to ignore certain people?????? im new here and its set as default. dont know how to change it?
Old 04-27-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by MaxAppeal

yeah, i checked it out the first time you posted it. Thanks!

BTW, i have no idea why im set to ignore certain people?????? im new here and its set as default. dont know how to change it?
It wasnt me who posted that the 1st time. I dont know who it was, the person that posted that is under GUEST so the SN is not visible.
Your not set to ingore certain people, nor am I. Its been happening with 4-5 diff people on here who keep on showing up under ignore on every1's screen. This is something new, you guess is as good as mine. Been happening for like a month now.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaxAppeal
Originally posted by AYAYAY
i appreciatte the info! did you do yours? pics?
I did do mine and it came out better than I'd expected. Don't have any pics though. One of these days I'll get around to putting up a homepage.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Blacking-Out Chrome Window Trim

I posted a "Installation/How-To" a while ago, explaining the application process in detail at the end of Page 3. Very easy, just a little time-consuming. The end result is much better, since my car had no other chrome on it except for the window trim. Peace.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE

It wasnt me who posted that the 1st time. I dont know who it was, the person that posted that is under GUEST so the SN is not visible.
Your not set to ingore certain people, nor am I. Its been happening with 4-5 diff people on here who keep on showing up under ignore on every1's screen. This is something new, you guess is as good as mine. Been happening for like a month now.
me 3