5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Header for a 2k and 2k1

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Header for a 2k and 2k1

Are there new headers for our engines? If not will there be? I mean, sheez, the 2k2 up have more HP and now they are gonna get a lot more. How bout us 1st 5th gens. lol.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i kicked off an e-mail to hotshot telling them that more than a couple of us might be interested. maybe we should get a somewhat solid number of people who are interested. power in numbers. there are plenty of companies out there that will fabricate these if we show a good amount of interest.
3.0 power!
Old 04-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd be interested, let's find out!
Old 04-06-2003, 12:45 PM
rilla dope

Cattman has done headers, he's posted the dyno numbers a few times. They aren't that much better than a Y pipe and are damn expensive to install. Anyway, he might not release them due to that. We'll see.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:01 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

those are some huge numbers,
i'm not expecting an increase like that, but we should be able to gain more than just a y-pipe.

man, once the mod bug bites, you are done for. i used to love my car, now all i want is more power.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:42 PM
rilla dope

Originally posted by sand2kmax
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

those are some huge numbers,
i'm not expecting an increase like that, but we should be able to gain more than just a y-pipe.

man, once the mod bug bites, you are done for. i used to love my car, now all i want is more power.
You're right, you won't get a gain like that at all and will get a huge install bill to boot. The headers aren't stainless steel, they are expensive and the gains over the Y are only 2-4 hp. For my money, I'll stay with the Y. You want gains, boost, that's all there is to it. If you're that serious, then coin is king.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by releasedtruth

You're right, you won't get a gain like that at all and will get a huge install bill to boot. The headers aren't stainless steel, they are expensive and the gains over the Y are only 2-4 hp. For my money, I'll stay with the Y. You want gains, boost, that's all there is to it. If you're that serious, then coin is king.
ditto...

but i thought Hotshot already came out with our headers..
Old 04-06-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by releasedtruth

i am not trying to be beligerent, and the tone of my response should not be taken the wrong way, but who has done any research on this? i remember reading about the headers that were designed, and how innefectual they were. maybe the design wasn't right.

i know that cattman produces quality products, and the dyno numbers prove it, but maybe the setup just wasn't right.

is there a reason why headers don't help us out, or is it that only one set of headers was made, and they didn't show any gains? i am not knowledgable in any area of header design, so i will defer to those that know. there has to be an upgrade on our stock exhausts that can do something.

and yeah i know that boost is going to help my numbers, but it's not really an option. i need reliability (and a warranty) on my car. headers would be the perfect addition for those of us that want a bit of performance, but don't want to go all out.

again please don't mistake my response as being a wise @ss, i hope the tone doesn't come across as being a jerk.
i'm just looking for some answers
thanks!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:05 AM

So why so much of a HP gain in the 3.5 and not the 3.0??????
Old 04-07-2003, 09:22 PM

Anyone??
Old 04-07-2003, 09:40 PM
rilla dope

Hard to say, the Y-pipe results I've seen on the 3.5 aren't great at all on the max, the Altima headers seem to work pretty nice though. The main restriction on the 3.0 is in the Y section, headers, mid pipe, muffler, not much gain found in any of those over the Y. Not every car can be tuned like a V8, just the way it is. To get to the 13s NA in a 3.0 is extremely rare, takes every bolt on there is. 3+ grand will get you the speed you want or you can bolt everything on there is for 3+ grand and still not get boost quality gains. Go with the Y/intake and you're only down 600 bucks, but you're most of the way to the ho you can expect for a reasonable price.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:16 AM

I am about to order a Y pipe and B pipe from budgetexhaust.com, and also a Dynomax super turbo muffler based on research I did on the forum.

I also put a K&N filter in the stock air box, which appears to me to have an intake section reaching to the front of the engine bay near the grill, so it appears to me to be a decent spot.

In any event, I will let everyone know how it turns out. I expect it will be a considerable improvement on the top end, which is where you spend most of your time when you are really on the throttle anyway.

I should add, the total cost for muffler, y/b pipes, and K&N filter is $460.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by sand2kmax

i kicked off an e-mail to hotshot telling them that more than a couple of us might be interested. maybe we should get a somewhat solid number of people who are interested. power in numbers. there are plenty of companies out there that will fabricate these if we show a good amount of interest.
3.0 power!
I'm in.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by jmartinson

I also put a K&N filter in the stock air box, which appears to me to have an intake section reaching to the front of the engine bay near the grill, so it appears to me to be a decent spot.

In any event, I will let everyone know how it turns out. I expect it will be a considerable improvement on the top end, which is where you spend most of your time when you are really on the throttle anyway.
Can you elborate more on this? It sounds as if you are just reffering to just adding a drop-in filter to the stock box. If that is what you are talking about, it is not going to give you much more airflow.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by maxman00

Can you elborate more on this? It sounds as if you are just reffering to just adding a drop-in filter to the stock box. If that is what you are talking about, it is not going to give you much more airflow.
a K&N filter in the stock airbox will give more airflow than the stock paper filter because it takes less vacuum on the MAF side to pull the same amount of air, so with the same vacuum, it will pull more air.

that being said, i am not expecting to get any low end improvements you might get from a long, higher velocity aftermarket intake system, but then again, i am not spending $200.

also, the point where the air actually enters the intake system on my 2k is right above the front grill, which appears to be a good source of cool air to me.

one more point being that some systems like the JWT pop charger put so much more air into the system, you end up running lean to the point of knocking, which is _really_ bad for performance and the long term life of your engine.

my main point here, is that you can get more than a cold air intake system and a Y pipe for less than $600.

i am not saying your rec's aren't good, just that for more budget-minded people like myself, there may be other options that give you more power for the dollar.

also, i am personally biased to opening the exhaust side more than the intake since i am preparing for a nitrous install, which gives you the ability to put arbitrary amounts of additional oxygen and fuel in the motor (and more exhaust out the back), so having a super-high-flowing intake isn't as important as free flowing exhaust.

just my 2 cents
Old 04-09-2003, 10:06 AM
rilla dope

600 bucks is 375 SS Y-pipe + 225 CAI = 600 and that's without install on the Y if you need help. There's the 600 and that's for quality long term parts. A drop in filter will give you a few hp, a CAI could get you 7-9 and a nice beefy sound as well as under hood visuals. You want it on the cheap and don't care about power, buy a K&N, it's all about the money you have to spend. It's hard to get good power on the cheap with most imports, such is life.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by jmartinson

a K&N filter in the stock airbox will give more airflow than the stock paper filter because it takes less vacuum on the MAF side to pull the same amount of air, so with the same vacuum, it will pull more air.

that being said, i am not expecting to get any low end improvements you might get from a long, higher velocity aftermarket intake system, but then again, i am not spending $200.

also, the point where the air actually enters the intake system on my 2k is right above the front grill, which appears to be a good source of cool air to me.

one more point being that some systems like the JWT pop charger put so much more air into the system, you end up running lean to the point of knocking, which is _really_ bad for performance and the long term life of your engine.

my main point here, is that you can get more than a cold air intake system and a Y pipe for less than $600.

i am not saying your rec's aren't good, just that for more budget-minded people like myself, there may be other options that give you more power for the dollar.

also, i am personally biased to opening the exhaust side more than the intake since i am preparing for a nitrous install, which gives you the ability to put arbitrary amounts of additional oxygen and fuel in the motor (and more exhaust out the back), so having a super-high-flowing intake isn't as important as free flowing exhaust.

just my 2 cents
You bring up some very good points and I agree with you, I just thought that you might have a better way to feed a second source of air into the stock box. Kind of like an adaptation to this:

http://www.punkdork.net/max/oscai.htm

I currently have a system like this on my car with a K&N, and the high end is just not up to par with the warm air and cold air intakes that I had on there before. However, when the weather gets better I am going to investigate routing a second source out the front bumper, however this would require cutting the splash guard, something I don't know if I want to do.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by maxman00

You bring up some very good points and I agree with you, I just thought that you might have a better way to feed a second source of air into the stock box. Kind of like an adaptation to this:

http://www.punkdork.net/max/oscai.htm

I currently have a system like this on my car with a K&N, and the high end is just not up to par with the warm air and cold air intakes that I had on there before. However, when the weather gets better I am going to investigate routing a second source out the front bumper, however this would require cutting the splash guard, something I don't know if I want to do.
i just did this mod myself, and was surprised at how good the car sounded. throttle does feel more responsive, but i figured that would happen with most other intakes. the best part is it only cost $50! i guess i'm not gonna be putting my car in any import shows

so i think intakes have been beaten to death, now can we do something to make the exhaust any better? i know that a y-pipe will help, and removing the bent piece behing the cat, and a better b-pipe.

what about headers?

why not?

Old 04-20-2003, 11:21 AM

obx makes the stainless steel headers for the 2l-2k1 max's they arent that expensive either. i think they are only 350-400
Old 04-20-2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by MadXtreme01
obx makes the stainless steel headers for the 2l-2k1 max's they arent that expensive either. i think they are only 350-400
Have you called them about these headers? The last I heard, they don't really exist and there are no plans to develop them.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:53 PM

I know what the hell, Stillen makes them for the 350Z right away but none for us 2000 $ 2001 people.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:09 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by MadXtreme01
they list them on their site but never produced them. my experiences with obx has been less than satisfactory. they took 5 emails to respond about the headers for 2k-2k1 and putting an obx short shifter in a 97 maxima was a nightmare. the only good experience was when my dads purchase of headers for his 98 v6 accord. if they actually produced them, i might just put up with their subpar customer service if the headers made any decent power.