5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Final Thoughs about Tein S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Final Thoughs about Tein S.

Well ive had the springs in for about 8 days now. When I brought the car off the hoist it looked sooo much better, the clearance from the fender went from stock 27 3/4" to 25 1/2" which was expected since it claims to drop 2.2". The rears went from 27 1/4" to 25 3/4" which was aslo of no surprize, it looked good. 1 to 1.5 finger gap all the way around.

Went for a test drive and the way the car went into the corners was a day and night diff. Bodyroll was drastically reduced and I dont even have a RSB. The springs were stiff, very stiff (btw I have the Tokico blue struts) Pot holes and anoying road imperfections obviously became alot more apperant since the drop. For the first 5 days it was stiff but I liked it, no real complaints on it or anything. Well now is kind of a diff story, the srpings have finally settled in and got smoother. I was actually expecting it to be a bit lower since it settled in, well.......looks like I was wrong. I measured the distance from the fender to the ground yesterday (8days after install was done) and aperently the front is now at almost 26" and same with the rears. Be4 any1 starts asking yes it was on level groud, even the same exact spot I measured it the first day. As for what happened..... Ive never heard of this happening be4?

A few things im suspecting is that the weather here in Phx changes quite frequently and last week it was near the low 60's at night to low 80's during the day. Now its mid 70's at night and low-mid 90's during the day, is it possible the springs are expanding with the heat? I have no clue but it possible. Also the first 5days it handled like it was on rails and now it got a bit mushier, I dont know if this is being caused by the springs or the Toks. Dont get me wrong its still stiff and the diff from OEM is day and night but this is just trippin me out here. Any opinions as to whats goin on by any1?

2012 UPDATE: Tok Blues lasted for about 5 years.
I've ran KYB GR-2's since. They do seem to control the Tein S springs better than the Tok Blues did.

Btw- Dont waste your time running aftermarket springs with the OEM struts. You'll just end up with blown OEM struts in a week or two. Bouncing around. Not too comfortable. You'll also have to pay labor twice to get decent struts installed after. The OEM struts can't control these springs well at all. Not even to get by. Just a waste of time.

Hope this prevents some headaches for those that wonder.

My.02

Last edited by HitManSE; 09-07-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:59 PM

Perhaps there is less gas in the car, which could translate to less weight.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
Perhaps there is less gas in the car, which could translate to less weight.
Ummmm....NO. I had a full tank yesterday, I filled up 1hr prior to the measurment. I had a half tank the first time I measured. Anything else?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:58 PM

check your tire's pressure. I find that bumping the psi up to +1 or +2 (from OEM recommendation) will make the ride less mushier. BTW, I have the H&R + Tokico shocks setup.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE

Ummmm....NO. I had a full tank yesterday, I filled up 1hr prior to the measurment. I had a half tank the first time I measured. Anything else?
Damn!! you filled up?!?! you must be rolling in the dough!! I can barely afford to drive right now, damn gas is still $2.15 a gallon in Mesa I'ts almost cheaper to buy race gas
Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by VMaximus02
check your tire's pressure. I find that bumping the psi up to +1 or +2 (from OEM recommendation) will make the ride less mushier. BTW, I have the H&R + Tokico shocks setup.
I have the OEM 17" wheels but I have Yokohama AVS ES100 235/45 tires on them. The fronts are at 41psi and the rears are at 44psi, I think thats about all the air in not more then I need in those tires. The max those tires can hold is 50psi. The Teins are supposed to be up there in stiffness, right up next to the GC's and sprints. Ive riden in a car with stock sturts and sprints and its actually quite nice. Maybe I just got used to the extra cornering and dont feel it anymore just like some1 would get used to an extra 30hp, it doesnt feel like its there anymore after a little while. Or maybe it just me

Dave I always "fill up", I think in most places around here its around 2.15 a gallon as well. I dont know about the racing fuel though, never really had a need for it. recently ive been gettin almost 19mpg on the streets, thats were I do 99% of my driving so I rarley ever see 260+ miles per fill up. So im not gonna complain, if this war ever ends then maybe the prices will fall back to 1.80 or so a gallon again.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd

Damn!! you filled up?!?! you must be rolling in the dough!! I can barely afford to drive right now, damn gas is still $2.15 a gallon in Mesa I'ts almost cheaper to buy race gas
OUCH! Just filled up yesterday in ATL. $1.51 for 93 Octane at BP.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by GaMax97GLE

OUCH! Just filled up yesterday in ATL. $1.51 for 93 Octane at BP.
That's cheap. Here in PA it is $1.82.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:50 AM

You ought to fill up in Augusta! It's pretty cheap here
Old 04-14-2003, 06:51 AM
NT2SHBBY

$1.87 yesterday at BP in Queens, NY

Old 04-14-2003, 07:11 AM

$1.62 here in Jersey!!
Old 04-14-2003, 11:39 AM

Ok people no offense but, I do not need to know how much gas is in other cities other then the one I live in. The gas price here is still outragous abd will be for a little while, now back to the suspension issue. Stay on topic or just dont post.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:44 AM

Ok people no offense but, I do not need to know how much gas is in other cities other then the one I live in. The gas price here is still outragous abd will be for a little while, now back to the suspension issue. Stay on topic or just dont post.
Yeah people stick to the topic.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:30 PM

Ok so no1 has any idea as to wtf is goin on here.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM

Ok so no1 has any idea as to wtf is goin on here.
What's the topic here? I forgot!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Hraesvelg

What's the topic here? I forgot!
This is already a lost cause, Read the 1st post.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:13 PM

these tein springs are fukin nice!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:29 AM

Hitman,
You do have a legit question, and I also would like to get other's opinion or facts as to why this may be happening! I too will be buying some Tein's (depending on this topic).

HITMAN, if you had to do it all over again, would you buy Tein springs?
Old 04-15-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Dohcser

Hitman,
You do have a legit question, and I also would like to get other's opinion or facts as to why this may be happening! I too will be buying some Tein's (depending on this topic).

HITMAN, if you had to do it all over again, would you buy Tein springs?
My only guess is that the springs seem to be expanding with the heat and contracting with colder weather. The springs are alot easier to live with then the first 5 days and Ive gone through some deep driveway, even head on because I had no choice and still havnt bottomed out even with the bodykit. They are definetly stiffer then Progress but im still guessing I need better struts like the AGX's to get the most out of these springs.

As for would I buy these springs if I had to do it all over again, well I want to compare the srpings to others just to see if others give a stiffer ride. I cant answer that question because I have not had any other springs on my car to compare them to but at this point yeah I would. In about a week Ill get to feel what the AGX setup feels with either the Teins or the Eibachs. This is not on my car, but if it does handle better then its not the springs its the struts I will change. Ill post when I get the answer for myself.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:14 PM

My only guess is that the springs seem to be expanding with the heat and contracting with colder weather. The springs are alot easier to live with then the first 5 days and Ive gone through some deep driveway, even head on because I had no choice and still havnt bottomed out even with the bodykit. They are definetly stiffer then Progress but im still guessing I need better struts like the AGX's to get the most out of these springs.

As for would I buy these springs if I had to do it all over again, well I want to compare the srpings to others just to see if others give a stiffer ride. I cant answer that question because I have not had any other springs on my car to compare them to but at this point yeah I would. In about a week Ill get to feel what the AGX setup feels with either the Teins or the Eibachs. This is not on my car, but if it does handle better then its not the springs its the struts I will change. Ill post when I get the answer for myself.
And you were so paranoid about destroying your kit too. if you get AGXs and need a place to put those Blues, I might have an idea for you...
Old 04-15-2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

And you were so paranoid about destroying your kit too. if you get AGXs and need a place to put those Blues, I might have an idea for you...
Ill make a note of that
Old 04-16-2003, 05:08 AM

I may be getting some Tein's soon, I already have Koni adjustables. I will let you all know how that turns out.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:12 AM

Did you install the Blues when you installed your springs? If not how many miles on the Blues. If the Blues are new, then my opinion would be that you are just getting used to it. If the Blues have miles on them, maybe you have a bad strut. (just a guess) Did you trim the bump stops. My installer said the instructions recommend trimming the bump stops. That's my .02 ...
Old 04-16-2003, 09:05 AM

I'm thinkin about gettin Tein suspension for my max.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by 2k1seae
Did you install the Blues when you installed your springs? If not how many miles on the Blues. If the Blues are new, then my opinion would be that you are just getting used to it. If the Blues have miles on them, maybe you have a bad strut. (just a guess) Did you trim the bump stops. My installer said the instructions recommend trimming the bump stops. That's my .02 ...
I got them new like 2 weeks ago. They have less then 500miles on them. Ill still give it some more time but I just think maybe I got used to pulling with more force through the corners and dont feel it anymore. When I look at the speedo I still catch myself goin 20-30mph faster through shoulders and thinking im going no more then 50 but in reality in goin way over the limit so maybe its just me. Also about the bump stops, no I did not trim them for one and only one reason. I could not find them Really, I even called the dealer and had them fax me over the page with the pic of the bump stop circled and all and still...nothing! He said its in the frame somewere so I said screw it, im not gonna pull apart nothing on the frame for any bumpstops. Bump stops are usually jsut there and can be trimmed easily, I asked them to send be the bumpstops for the front and the rear and he said the rear has non and the two he sent for the front were like 5mm thick 1.5" wide washers so I just sent it back. As for the bumpstops I dont know were they are at, I couldnt see them what can I say.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:11 AM

Hitman, whats the update on your Tein's.
I ordered mine yesterday.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:46 AM

Hitman, whats the update on your Tein's.
I ordered mine yesterday.
They are riding just fine, just avoid huge potholes (like all lowered cars) and use common sense around parking lots and you'll be fine. I finally scraped yesterday because I was carless and went over those huge speed humps straight on and barley touched the b-pipe. Just go over those at an angle as with drivways. No real complaints to be honest. Good luck man, if you got any questions just ask away.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:04 AM

They are riding just fine, just avoid huge potholes (like all lowered cars) and use common sense around parking lots and you'll be fine. I finally scraped yesterday because I was carless and went over those huge speed humps straight on and barley touched the b-pipe. Just go over those at an angle as with drivways. No real complaints to be honest. Good luck man, if you got any questions just ask away.
I already have the Koni adjustables, so I can't wait to feel what the ride is like. I haven't heard of anyone with this COMBO.
Do you have any pics of your car after the springs settled?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:32 AM

I already have the Koni adjustables, so I can't wait to feel what the ride is like. I haven't heard of anyone with this COMBO.
Do you have any pics of your car after the springs settled?
Nope, but its low thats for sure. Dont be too surprized when you put them on because its gonna be rock hard the first week. Im not exaggerating, the ride now is soft compared to the first week. I think you'll be the 1st with tein and koni. Post after the springs have been on for over a week so they have settled.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:48 PM

Nope, but its low thats for sure. Dont be too surprized when you put them on because its gonna be rock hard the first week. Im not exaggerating, the ride now is soft compared to the first week. I think you'll be the 1st with tein and koni. Post after the springs have been on for over a week so they have settled.
Will do.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what is a bump stop and where are they located?? how much do you cut off the bumpstops for the teins??
Old 04-24-2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by ToasterMax
what is a bump stop and where are they located?? how much do you cut off the bumpstops for the teins??
Its kinda in a slick place. Its on the struts rod under the dustbooth. What it is? Well the name kinda sez it all, it stops bumps. Let me explain in simpler terms. Incase you bottom out the bumpstops absorb whats left of the impact. How much you cut it im not 100% sure because I didnt trim mine but I think it was 15mm in the rear and 20mm in the front. Its in the envelope that comes with the springs in the box, look in there. I cant find mine.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd

holy ****
2.15 daaaaaaaamn
its only 1.63 where i live..thats rediculous
Old 04-24-2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by BLKMAX005SPD

holy ****
2.15 daaaaaaaamn
its only 1.63 where i live..thats rediculous
I knew it wasnt gonna last, (staying OT) I know it up there, hey it actually dropped to 2.11 now but still sucks @ss. We know and people please dont post about the friggin gas price. ThankYou!
Old 04-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When you install new springs they have a break in period. The springs will settle alittle giving you more drop then you had before. Samething happened on my WRX(eibach springs), and my GTi 16v(Weitec Coilovers). Its normal.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by sillyasskilby
When you install new springs they have a break in period. The springs will settle alittle giving you more drop then you had before. Samething happened on my WRX(eibach springs), and my GTi 16v(Weitec Coilovers). Its normal.
Yeah we know, the Teins drop 5mm more at the most over what its stated to. Almost all springs do this.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Horra!!

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

That's cheap. Here in PA it is $1.82.
You lucky bastards!! I have to pay 2.29 for 91 octane here in the Bay Area, CA. And that's for crappy a$$ Arco gas!
Old 04-25-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by looslip

You lucky bastards!! I have to pay 2.29 for 91 octane here in the Bay Area, CA. And that's for crappy a$$ Arco gas!
Looks like im gonna have to rename this thread to Teins/Gas prices blow!