5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Appointment with dealership concerning [delayed] 2-3 shift and 59,6 on the ODO

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 PM
lcf

Appointment with dealership concerning [delayed] 2-3 shift and 59,6 on the ODO

The TSB clearly states that it applies to all vehicles built before September 28, 2000. My car was built in March of 2000; appointment is at 8am this Wednesday. The only performance modification I have is the Berk Tuning intake with a newly installed Frankencar midpipe. I'm not going to take it out before going to the dealer and I really hope they don't give me a hard time about it. They have an Altima on their showroom floor with a Stillen banner on the windshield and a bodykit on it. This gives me some hope. Regardless, they wouldn't argue that the transmission problem is the intake's fault would they?

I mean... there's no way an INTAKE would negatively affect a TRANSMISSION... or is there?

I also want to bring up the topic of my ignition coils to the service people but I have no idea how. I have a pretty early build 2000 and I never had the coils replaced. I've looked the TSB over and I have a few questions about it:
  • Is the Ignition Coil TSB covered under the 60k Powertrain Warranty? (Just want to make sure)
  • WTF is "intermittent spark knock (detonation)"?
Are they talking about engine ping? I have witnessed my car pinging, but very rarely (and yes I do use premium unleaded gasoline). It seems that the TSB is pretty clear in saying that there must be either (1)an error stored in the ECM, or (2) intermittent spark knock for the ignition coils to be the faulty. Does this mean I am SOL bc it might be impossible to get a tech to witness the engine pinging and I'm pretty sure I don't have any errors stored other than maybe one bc of the damned O2 sensors... what do you guys think?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:25 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I just told them I heard pinging when merging on the interstate. assuming you use prem gas, thats all the need to hear.. I got mine under 36K (or right at), so after 36 may or may not be a fight.

You really need that new soleniod and TCM.. its a must..
Old 04-15-2003, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Appointment with dealership concerning [delayed] 2-3 shift and 59,6 on the ODO

Originally posted by lcf
This gives me some hope. Regardless, they wouldn't argue that the transmission problem is the intake's fault would they?

I mean... there's no way an INTAKE would negatively affect a TRANSMISSION... or is there?
agreed....intake has nothing to do wit tranny delay shifting. just told them that you had this problem before the install of the intake. but again....I know my dealers here always come up with some screwed up excuses to avoid warranty services. Make sure you will be able to duplicate the problem.

I also want to bring up the topic of my ignition coils to the service people but I have no idea how. I have a pretty early build 2000 and I never had the coils replaced. I've looked the TSB over and I have a few questions about it:
  • Is the Ignition Coil TSB covered under the 60k Powertrain Warranty? (Just want to make sure)
  • WTF is "intermittent spark knock (detonation)"?
Are they talking about engine ping? I have witnessed my car pinging, but very rarely (and yes I do use premium unleaded gasoline). It seems that the TSB is pretty clear in saying that there must be either (1)an error stored in the ECM, or (2) intermittent spark knock for the ignition coils to be the faulty. Does this mean I am SOL bc it might be impossible to get a tech to witness the engine pinging and I'm pretty sure I don't have any errors stored other than maybe one bc of the damned O2 sensors... what do you guys think?
I remembered there was a thread on this. but I didnt save the link to it. Have you checked your warranty and see if ignition system is part of 60k power-tran?

the hard part here is duplicating the problem. But if you ask them to check the spark plugs, they might tell you something.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a 2k max as well, and while I have never heard pinging, however it does run a lot ruffer than it use to. I was going to change the plugs soon, but now I am thinking it may not be bad to have the plugs and the coils changed.

If I don't try to do the tsb, how much do coils cost?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by maxman00
I have a 2k max as well, and while I have never heard pinging, however it does run a lot ruffer than it use to. I was going to change the plugs soon, but now I am thinking it may not be bad to have the plugs and the coils changed.

If I don't try to do the tsb, how much do coils cost?

cheapest that I have seen is 300 for a set of 6.

it is not necessary to change the coil. stock plantinum plug can last for a long time too.

unless you have a bad coils to start with...your plugs will get damaged from pinging/dentonation.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

cheapest that I have seen is 300 for a set of 6.

it is not necessary to change the coil. stock plantinum plug can last for a long time too.

unless you have a bad coils to start with...your plugs will get damaged from pinging/dentonation.
I wouldn't think that the coils, or the plugs are bad at 30k, but the car is not running a smooth as it use to. Maybe it is just me, but it also doesn't feel like it has the same pull to it either.

After reading about the coil problems that some 2k's have had, and hearing about how much better some cars are running after plug replacement, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to replace them. However, at 300 dollars, I might not replace the coils.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by maxman00

I wouldn't think that the coils, or the plugs are bad at 30k, but the car is not running a smooth as it use to. Maybe it is just me, but it also doesn't feel like it has the same pull to it either.

After reading about the coil problems that some 2k's have had, and hearing about how much better some cars are running after plug replacement, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to replace them. However, at 300 dollars, I might not replace the coils.
there are other things that make your car feel weak....i.e. fuel injectors, throttle body cleaning, air filter, etc.

about the spark plugs....you might want to check it before replace it. Titanium plugs can last a long time and you dont have to re-gap them. I took out my stock plugs at 43000 (with 10000 boost miles) and they are still in good condition.

check out TimW's recent thread about it and Tanman's post in the how-to for more info.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:35 PM
lcf

Re: Re: Appointment with dealership concerning [delayed] 2-3 shift and 59,6 on the ODO

agreed....intake has nothing to do wit tranny delay shifting. just told them that you had this problem before the install of the intake. but again....I know my dealers here always come up with some screwed up excuses to avoid warranty services. Make sure you will be able to duplicate the problem.

the hard part here is duplicating the problem. But if you ask them to check the spark plugs, they might tell you something.
Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck. Only a few more hours to go!
Old 04-16-2003, 11:06 AM
lcf

Dropped the car off at 7:45am this morning. I told them the 2-3 slippage was most noticeable when the engine was cold. They offered to wait 5 hours till testing it. I hope they really do.

The service writer also told me that the ignition coils aren't included in the 60k/Powertrain Warranty. Bad news, but I guess I should've known that to begin with.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by lcf
Dropped the car off at 7:45am this morning. I told them the 2-3 slippage was most noticeable when the engine was cold. They offered to wait 5 hours till testing it. I hope they really do.

The service writer also told me that the ignition coils aren't included in the 60k/Powertrain Warranty. Bad news, but I guess I should've known that to begin with.

hmmmm...hope you can find a set on ebay for 250+

but first...make sure the cause of detonation is the coil. This part is quite expensive.

keep us updated about the tranny repair.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:20 PM
lcf

hmmmm...hope you can find a set on ebay for 250+
Me too... if it comes to that.
but first...make sure the cause of detonation is the coil.
How do I do this?
This part is quite expensive.
keep us updated about the tranny repair.
Here goes it: Just got back from the Dealership. I have my car back and have pretty good news. The service writer told me he was able to duplicate the 2-3 delayed shift and that they would do the TSB under warranty. No problems whatsoever... he didn't even mention the aftermarket intake... at all!

Unfortunately, the ignition coils aren't a part of the Powertrain Warranty so they said they wouldn't cover it. He told me they'd do it, but i would have to pay for it (Parts+Labor). I told him no thanks. It's not like the knocking happens all the time. I'd say I can notice it about once every other month? *shrug*

On a side note, I was able to check out the 6th gen Maxima up close and I must say... I don't like. Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see... after all, the 5th gen bodystyle wasn't my scene at first either. First off though, I want to say that the 2004 Maxima "SL" I saw was interesting. I mean, wtf kind of grille is that?! And the rear of the car? Nissan mangled more than they "mangled" the 5th gen's a$$. I wasn't able to get inside and check out the Fit-and-Finish of the interior but it did look nice. Anyway, that's the update.

BTW, is the SL a new trim offered? Or does it replace the GLE? or GXE?