5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

first day with y-pipe!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 08:35 PM

first day with y-pipe!!!

First day with my wsp y-pipe (finally)... the sound is perfect and i feel little more power BUT i hate the vibration (under 2500 rpm) I will go again at the performance center tomorrow and will see...
Old 04-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can u keep me informed? i have the y pipe on order and if it has viberation i really dont want it keep me informed

thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by krmaxima
can u keep me informed? i have the y pipe on order and if it has viberation i really dont want it keep me informed

thanks
The guy at the performance center told me that he can fix it...
Old 04-16-2003, 09:59 PM

do u know what the problem is??? i was thinking about doing it myself? do u not recomend that???
Old 04-16-2003, 10:16 PM

do u know what the problem is??? i was thinking about doing it myself? do u not recomend that???
Hmmm... go in any performance store in your town (My opinion)... I paid $60... Man i have terrible vibration under 2500 rpm... the y-pipe it strikes under my car... you know how is the eartquake? something like that...
Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM

did u feel the power???
Old 04-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GreekMaxima

Hmmm... go in any performance store in your town (My opinion)... I paid $60... Man i have terrible vibration under 2500 rpm... the y-pipe it strikes under my car... you know how is the eartquake? something like that...
I remember reading something about how somebody removed a bar that is somewhere around the Y-pipe obviously, in order for it to fit. Maybe that is what the y-pipe is vibrating against.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:05 PM

did u feel the power???
Hmm... just a little but i will tell you a few days... i will try to test my 0-60 and if i will do race... I heard that nothing major with
a y-pipe on 2k2-2k3 maxima...
Old 04-17-2003, 04:55 AM

All you have to do is either buy longer bolts and lots of washers or remove the brace by the flex section and you won't have any more banging or rattling. After I removed mine, the car runs smooth as silk.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:23 AM

Y

Headers
Old 04-17-2003, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by GreekMaxima

the y-pipe it strikes under my car...
auto or stick ?? heard the original fitment was to an auto; and sticks have a different clearance ... They (manu) were going to see if that were true ... Did not see if they resolved the issue though.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:13 AM

I'm still working with Dallas on this one. The engines in the manuals sit lower than the engines in the automatics. So if you're an auto, you should be mostly ok. But if you're a manual, then the pipe hangs too low and is rubbing against the cross-brace underneath the car. For now, you can get 5 washers per bolt (40 total) and bolts that are 1/2-3/4" longer and use that to lower the cross-brace. Do NOT remove the cross-brace, as it protects the exhaust from damage during an accident. If you remove it and are in a side-impact accident, the exhaust could get pinched and the engine MAY (key word) explode. Just a warning to all who have removed the brace.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777
Y

Headers
I'd rather save up for headers than buy a y-pipe.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by optimus1

auto or stick ?? heard the original fitment was to an auto; and sticks have a different clearance ... They (manu) were going to see if that were true ... Did not see if they resolved the issue though.
I have an auto...
Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Maxman2000

Yup. Not only that but if they want to get headers later they'll be stuck trying to sell the POS Y-pipe because because it won't be used with the header setup as it's built in.

I used to think $100-150 per 10HP NA was worth the money. Now It looks like it'll be $200-250. But to spend $200 or more for 5HP that just doesn't make much sense to me, how about you...
Old 04-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

why does everyone keep bringing up headers? every time i post about the possibility of headers the idea gets shot down. no one has answered whether or not it will have any benefit because only one person has created headers for our cars.

of course i would love headers for our car, but judging from the responses, we are going to have to make due with just the y-pipe.

the 3.5's need headers like i need a hole in the head. it seems like us 3.0 owners are going to get skipped as far as R&D, and any other aftermarket support.

yeah yeah, go turbo, supercharge- not really an option
Old 04-17-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Maxman2000

Tell me where is the headers...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by sand2kmax
why does everyone keep bringing up headers? every time i post about the possibility of headers the idea gets shot down. no one has answered whether or not it will have any benefit because only one person has created headers for our cars.

of course i would love headers for our car, but judging from the responses, we are going to have to make due with just the y-pipe.

the 3.5's need headers like i need a hole in the head. it seems like us 3.0 owners are going to get skipped as far as R&D, and any other aftermarket support.

yeah yeah, go turbo, supercharge- not really an option
2001 and earlier Max's WILL benefit from a Y-pipe. And Cattman is working on headers for you but I hear the benefit is questional. Doesn't Hotshot have'em too?

For 2002 and on, they WILL NOT benefit more than a few HP. (Well under 10) Nissan redesigned the Y and many of the problems that plagued it have been corrected. Any help will come from the slightly larger diameter in the tubing used to make it. Also all of the people that have dyno'd with an aftermarket Y and posted numbers have replaced the B too. We need larger diameter from the manifold back with the precats removed. Hotshot has a prototype done for the Alty and at 1st look the numbers are up there. $tillen is still working on theirs...
Old 04-17-2003, 06:23 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

$tillen is still working on theirs...
Don't hold your breathe....

I would buy the Y pipe and if the headers come out, just toss it !
Old 04-17-2003, 08:59 PM

Well... second day with a y-pipe... I feel the power alot today!!! Yesterday I had terrible vibration but i went to the performance store and he removed a metal that was under y-pipe but the Saturday he will put it back with a longer bolts... NO VIBRATION ANYMORE!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by kloogy

Don't hold your breathe....

I would buy the Y pipe and if the headers come out, just toss it !
Feel free to toss all your extra money my way
Old 04-20-2003, 09:16 AM

im looking at getting the obx stainless steel headers for the 00 and i didnt know that the y-pipe isnt needed when replacing the headers???? are you sure about this? i was about to order a y-pipe now if thats the case i wont. the y-pipe and headers are the same price
Old 04-20-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by MadXtreme01
im looking at getting the obx stainless steel headers for the 00 and i didnt know that the y-pipe isnt needed when replacing the headers???? are you sure about this? i was about to order a y-pipe now if thats the case i wont. the y-pipe and headers are the same price
obx headers? HELL NOOOOOOOO... going with a y-pipe man!!! I heard bad reviews about obx headers...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:33 AM

2001 and earlier Max's WILL benefit from a Y-pipe. And Cattman is working on headers for you but I hear the benefit is questional. Doesn't Hotshot have'em too?

For 2002 and on, they WILL NOT benefit more than a few HP. (Well under 10) Nissan redesigned the Y and many of the problems that plagued it have been corrected. Any help will come from the slightly larger diameter in the tubing used to make it. Also all of the people that have dyno'd with an aftermarket Y and posted numbers have replaced the B too. We need larger diameter from the manifold back with the precats removed. Hotshot has a prototype done for the Alty and at 1st look the numbers are up there. $tillen is still working on theirs...

Not true. The reason that aftermarket y's don't make too much power on 2k2's is because they don't eliminate ANY precats. The precats are the bulk of the restriction in our exhaust system. From spending quite a lot of time under the car today, it became apparent that the precats in the 2k2 are located IN the actual manifolds. If you can eliminate both of these with headers, I wouldn't be surprised if you could gain as much or more than the VQ30 with just a y-pipe. Besides, the benifit of headers doesn't come from diameter of piping, but by equalizing the backpressure across your exhaust pulses thus allowing for better breathing.

The altima guy posted a dyno that shows 238hp or so on an AUTO. Fairly impressive if you ask me.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Not true. The reason that aftermarket y's don't make too much power on 2k2's is because they don't eliminate ANY precats. The precats are the bulk of the restriction in our exhaust system. From spending quite a lot of time under the car today, it became apparent that the precats in the 2k2 are located IN the actual manifolds. If you can eliminate both of these with headers, I wouldn't be surprised if you could gain as much or more than the VQ30 with just a y-pipe. Besides, the benifit of headers doesn't come from diameter of piping, but by equalizing the backpressure across your exhaust pulses thus allowing for better breathing.

The altima guy posted a dyno that shows 238hp or so on an AUTO. Fairly impressive if you ask me.
I'm sorry my bad, let me rephrase that. We need a slightly larger diameter from the collector back NA and even larger with boost. The main gain WILL be from removing both precats.
In early 5th gen most Y's remove 1 precat not both and still show a large gain. I have yet seen a Y for an 02+ show a nice gain.
Yes 238hp is impressive, and if Hotshot doesn't end up doing them for us I will have it done custom locally or take a hard look at the $tillen setup.