5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How many Auto guys use their hand break when parked

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 06:16 AM

I always used mines made a habit of it when I used to drive Manuals. However, I think you should use it even on flat surface. No matter how flat it is once you take your foot off the brake the car will roll forward or backwards a little on the transmission. Now if you pull up after you take your foot off the brake then it's really doing no good.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:19 AM

Gee...

I always thought the handbrake was only useful for sliding the rear end out in the snow and rain...especially turning into my street.

Hmmmm......using it for its intended mission. I'll have to think about that one.

In the meantime, anybody else use it for its other purpose...doing great handbrake turns like they do on TV??

Confess!!

Thanks

Vic
Old 04-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by schuss
[B][SIZE=3]in this order: foot on brake. put in park. pull ebrake. release brake pedal. -- so the ebrake holds your car, not the transmission

when you get back: start car, foot on brake, shift out of park, release ebrake, go!

save that tranny, maybe save your car!
I make a slight correction to that.

order: Foot Brake, Neutral, Parking brake, release foot brak, THEN go to Park.

reverse: Foot brake, Neutral, Parking brake, Gear of choice, foot brake.

Think about it. If you put it in park before "setting" the parking brake, there still might be a chance of some roll. But thats my theory and Im sticking to it.

I have only owned 1 auto my whole life. My wife currently owns one and thats the procedure I make her follow.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:53 PM

Re: How many Auto guys use their hand break when parked

Originally posted by xfirepwr1
Are any of your Auto guys doing this? I started using my hand break few months ago everytime I park on even slight incline or decline, sometimes on even surfaces. It seems to take some strain off my tranny. Ever since I started doing it I have not had a problem with putting my car in D or R when parked. Before when I did not do that I would sometimes have to use force to put my car into ger.
I do this too for the same reasons...plus its not good to not use the emergency brake for a long period of time I have found. Just use it every day. I dont really pull it up all that hard either, just enough to get the job done.

On my 93SE I hardly ever used it, and it siezed up one time, so I use this one every day. better off.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:37 PM

one morning my mom moved my car to get out for work and she comes running into my room waking me up and saying that my car is screwed up. she said that she noticed that when she pulled it out it was sluggish, so she took it around the block and throttle response was horrible, and my car smells like crap when she accelerates. she said my engine is going to blow or i have hole in my cat. i was like WTF so i get dressed and get in the car to go to school, i start it up and look down, and the parking break is still on. i called her and laughed at her, then i explained that the smell was the break burning and it was sluggish because the break was opposing the acceleration. she like "o my god, thats good, i thought it was broke or your engine was going to blow" i said "mom, you drive a grandprix, i think your should be more worried about your own engine blowing"
Old 04-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I use it once a while but now I will do it all the time.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by slickrick
is this actually necessary?
It is very necessary if you ever park in any hill. If you could see the small pin that holds the shafts from turning, you'd never trust it hold the weight of the car!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: YES!

Originally posted by saxdogg
This is a good thing to do, yes. It takes the stress off the parking pawl inside your tranny. When the weight of the car is pressing against that piece in the tranny, that's why it is so hard to pull out of park when you're stopped on an incline. Apply the hand brake before putting it in PARK and releasing the brake pedal. Pull it out of park then release the brake. Works great!

ARFF
at least someone read the owners manual
Old 04-18-2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I use it primarily for one reason, cause I used to drive stick and got into the habbit and now the main reason is so it makes the tow truck guy's life harder to tow it cause he has to then put the rears on dollys

Dixit