5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Slightly fed up, miffed, peeved, ticked, aggrivated

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 06:38 PM

OK, so my car has been in the shop FOUR times for the service engine light being on. My car is getting some pretty ill gas mileage now, (last tank was at 283 miles before I had to fill up when the light came on, and this is mainly highway miles). Each time the dealer says they have to reprogram. So...supposedly they reprogram. not a day or two later *POP* goes on the bright as hell Service Engine light". Well, my normal dealer says, "You need to go to ______ Nissan" and have them look at it because we dont have the technology to fix the car." Well this other Nissan place is about an hour away from me. OK. I take it down there December 26th (yeah day after Christmas so sue me.) Light has been on since mid December at this point. (IF you wonder why i am a bit miffed...this is the BRIGHTEST dash light and OBNOXIOUS at night and very distracting). OK So I go to the dealer early in the morning. I sit there....I sit there...I sit there...and still...I sit there. Finally around 1pm, service guy comes out and says that they are having problems with thier computer being able to send the info from my car to the database in CA at Nissan of NA and that i can wait but he isnt sure how long it will take, or I can wait for them to call when i can definitely get it fixed. Well, how about a loner car. "Sorry, we only have one and its booked up." So, with my day wasted, I drive back with my bright yellow service engine light (service? Service? WHAT ****ING SERVICE?) Might as well call it YOU AINT GETTIN NO SERVICE Engine Light. A week goes by...no call. So i call. "Still havent gotten any info from California" Seems odd. The computers at nissan of NA must be worse than the crap i use at work. No loner still...all booked up. Another week...Same thing, but wait...call back in a couple of days because the information should be in "today" he says. I wait. Wait....wait...wait...wait. No call. I call. Still no information.

You see, I am a Nissan lover. I am on my 3rd Maxima. A 1984, a 1989, and my 2K. I've had Nissan a ck up and a 300 z. However I have also had an Acura Legend. Service with Nissan has been HORRIBLE. Down right dismal. Acura would send me letters asking how my car was, if my dealer serviced my car to my expectations, send me offers for free oil changes, tire rotations, free cleaning (not to mention when ever i took it to the dealer for maintenance work, it would always come out super clean and vacuumed). Yes I paid more for my Legend at the time (even used Acura didnt mind. it was a year old), but man...what service.

My last resort today was i called Nissan of NA, talked to a nice young lady who sounded as though she cared, and said I would get an answer within 4 business days as to why I have had no answer and my complaints would be acknowledged. Time will tell. I love my car, but 17 mpg highway without flooring it or driving erratically is really getting annoying not to mention the BRIGHT AS **** light.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel for those who have this light come on and stay on. I hope your luck is better than mine
Old 01-19-2001, 07:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by SaVas
OK, so my car has been in the shop FOUR times for the service engine light being on. My car is getting some pretty ill gas mileage now, (last tank was at 283 miles before I had to fill up when the light came on, and this is mainly highway miles). Each time the dealer says they have to reprogram. So...supposedly they reprogram. not a day or two later *POP* goes on the bright as hell Service Engine light". Well, my normal dealer says, "You need to go to ______ Nissan" and have them look at it because we dont have the technology to fix the car." Well this other Nissan place is about an hour away from me. OK. I take it down there December 26th (yeah day after Christmas so sue me.) Light has been on since mid December at this point. (IF you wonder why i am a bit miffed...this is the BRIGHTEST dash light and OBNOXIOUS at night and very distracting). OK So I go to the dealer early in the morning. I sit there....I sit there...I sit there...and still...I sit there. Finally around 1pm, service guy comes out and says that they are having problems with thier computer being able to send the info from my car to the database in CA at Nissan of NA and that i can wait but he isnt sure how long it will take, or I can wait for them to call when i can definitely get it fixed. Well, how about a loner car. "Sorry, we only have one and its booked up." So, with my day wasted, I drive back with my bright yellow service engine light (service? Service? WHAT ****ING SERVICE?) Might as well call it YOU AINT GETTIN NO SERVICE Engine Light. A week goes by...no call. So i call. "Still havent gotten any info from California" Seems odd. The computers at nissan of NA must be worse than the crap i use at work. No loner still...all booked up. Another week...Same thing, but wait...call back in a couple of days because the information should be in "today" he says. I wait. Wait....wait...wait...wait. No call. I call. Still no information.

You see, I am a Nissan lover. I am on my 3rd Maxima. A 1984, a 1989, and my 2K. I've had Nissan a ck up and a 300 z. However I have also had an Acura Legend. Service with Nissan has been HORRIBLE. Down right dismal. Acura would send me letters asking how my car was, if my dealer serviced my car to my expectations, send me offers for free oil changes, tire rotations, free cleaning (not to mention when ever i took it to the dealer for maintenance work, it would always come out super clean and vacuumed). Yes I paid more for my Legend at the time (even used Acura didnt mind. it was a year old), but man...what service.

My last resort today was i called Nissan of NA, talked to a nice young lady who sounded as though she cared, and said I would get an answer within 4 business days as to why I have had no answer and my complaints would be acknowledged. Time will tell. I love my car, but 17 mpg highway without flooring it or driving erratically is really getting annoying not to mention the BRIGHT AS **** light.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel for those who have this light come on and stay on. I hope your luck is better than mine
Well, Nissan does send out packets when you take your car into the dealer as if you were treated good. I also get a phone call too. So I know something isn't right with yours. I think you need to take it to another dealer. IMHO.

Old 01-19-2001, 07:41 PM

Must agree with russ. Everytime I've been to the dealer over the past 2.5 years I've always gotten a follow up packet. These trips were for just rout. service...not big repairs.

Odd...the ECU should just throw up a code...like for the O2 or something.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:01 PM

SaVas,

Why don't you disconnect the battery for 6 hours and see if this fixes the problems. Perhaps you could "brain wash" it and it fix itself.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:01 PM

I get...

Originally posted by Russ2kSE

Well, Nissan does send out packets when you take your car into the dealer as if you were treated good. I also get a phone call too. So I know something isn't right with yours. I think you need to take it to another dealer. IMHO.
satisfaction surveys from my local Nissan corporate office (Nissan of Hawaii). Everytime I take my car in for service, or even when I purchased the car, they followed up by sending me a survey.
Old 01-19-2001, 11:41 PM

Must be a North Carolina thing. Not sure. i've never seen a packet of anything other than hot chocolate. Dont get me wrong guys, i love my car, even with its quirks, but Im fed up with the dealer service. Ive been to the only Nissan dealer in my area and the only other one within an hour radius. We will see what my call to Nissan does if anything
Old 01-19-2001, 11:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rough story SaVas...good luck with that.
Old 01-20-2001, 08:18 AM

My Dealer Rocks ...

hehe ... Maybe cuz I got a Good Friend working in the sales dept. Plus I know the sales manager, and the Service manager!

well ... I love my Dealership ... they are always giving me free stuff, when I go in!
I got TWO Nissan First Aid kits, and 1 Nissan Emergency Blanket!!!

They are selling these two items on the Courtesy website for like $20 ... and I got it For FREE!!!!
Old 01-20-2001, 01:06 PM

You seem to have lucked out- my Nissan dealer in Montreal(Canada)-Spinelli Nissan-nothing but praise. Polite, efficient, and on time.

GLE Sterling Mist-2K full-load
Old 01-20-2001, 09:32 PM

If it was a safety issue thing and you mentioned reporting it to the NTSB or whatever that is, they would be jumping through hoops. I had that problem with a Jeep dealer. Being female and telling them you think your truck takes off at full speed by itself without your foot on the gas at all...really makes them stand up and listen to you. "Give her prozac and send her on her way.." Mention the safety issue and that you can report it in case it's happening with other jeeps...and hey "miracles happen". Suddenly they have things they can fix on it. They were so f**king condescending the first two times I had it in for the same reason, I wanted to go bash heads, then smile at 'em, when I saw one of the nightly prime time news show do a report on it and then later, when I saw something official, not a "recall", they skirted that issue, but a voluntary thing they would fix for free.

Good luck to you. Remember the squeaky wheel always gets the grease first.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OK, so my car has been in the shop FOUR times for the service engine light being on. My car is getting some pretty ill gas mileage now, (last tank was at 283 miles ...
<SNIP>
Hmm.. this is another reason why an Infiniti is worth the extra money.

I have some contacts at Nissan NA if you need them.

/aac