5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mustang GT convertible automatic vs 02 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 12:57 PM

Mustang GT convertible automatic vs 02 6-speed

Just as a note, usually I bash on street racing stories, but being prone to temptation, I couldn't resist this one. Driving back from viewing the home my wife and I are building in Plainfield, IL, we were on a two lane road that eventually narrows down to one lane as a middle aged woman and her husband roll up in a new Mustang GT convertible (the woman was driving). I being in the lane that ends in approxiimately a quarter of a mile. Being the type A personality that I am, I decide to increase speed slightly to merge ahead of her, but she decides to match speed with me.
Anticipating this eventuality I had downshifted to 3rd gear before attempting to creep on her, and the little devil on my shoulder had also kind of hoped she would try such a stunt. After about 10 seconds of gradually increasing speed to 60, with her matching my speed, I mash the gas. In response she mashes her gas, and I notice that she is driving an automatic because her car has that "I am taking a deep breath" V8 sound as her transmission searches for the downshift. Next thing you know, I have two car lengths on her, and she is flying me the bird. I am practically laughing hysterically, because she is driving her husbands car (license plates say Mr GoGo), and her husband is beet red with embarassment/confusion at being worked by a burgandy 4 door grocery getter.
As we pull up to the next stop light, with her behind me (hehe), I start revving my engine ala speed racer, all the time laughing with glee. I have a feeling they probably headed straight to their Ford service department to enquire about a mysterious lack of power from their burbling V8. It is amazing how much a difference being in the right gear makes. Sorry for posting this, but my wife failed to see the impressiveness of such an event.
-Getz
P.S.
I have been pulled on by new GTs with MT, with me in fourth gear from around 80-110. I'm not talking major pulling, but enough to realize that with similar transmissions they have a faster car. Just thought I would post this story for some giggles. The only more suprised look I have seen is when my buddy driving his rusty white DSM Talon, with aftermarket racing engine and huge *** turbo, absolutely dismantled a gentlemen driving his new model corvette from a stop light. That was priceless.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:13 PM
mjg

I would love to see your buddy trying to race a late model ligenfelter corvette ; ) Talk about huge turbos... or lack of one. Anyhow, isn't the talon FWD? I think the vette if driven properly (By you maybe?) could have been more of a force to be reckoned with. I would trade my maxima in a heartbeat for one.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Im calling

Dont you know it is impossible for a n/a maxima to beat a gt

btw im being sarcastic.

nice kill. i bet he wont let his broad drive his rustang anymore.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:15 PM

nice kill, but auto, conv. gt stangs arnt anything special. they run very low 15's. ran one (auto, conv.) and pulled a car and a half on it, but it was from about 25mph, it was a stop it was have been more interesting im sure. i am just 97' auto with bolt on's
Old 04-19-2003, 02:43 PM

buddies DSM

The guy in the vette got destroyed because of a way crappy launch, gouts of tire smoke. My friends car is AWD and puts close to 300 hp to the wheels, and he (according to him) can consistently put 60 ft times below 2 seconds, quarter mile times in the low 13's. He is a very decent driver. His car would be very tough to beat in stop light drags. It is also his daily driver. His fun car is a 96 NSX with a 100 shot of nitrous
Yeah, the GT convertible isn't fast, but man the look on that guys face was hilarious. I think he wished he was elsewhere, and was doubly embarassed that his wife flew the bird at me.
-Getz
Old 04-19-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
nice kill, but auto, conv. gt stangs arnt anything special. they run very low 15's. ran one (auto, conv.) and pulled a car and a half on it, but it was from about 25mph, it was a stop it was have been more interesting im sure. i am just 97' auto with bolt on's
I've seen several run mid 14s stock. And a lot of non verts are in low 14s stock. They still aren't anything special but definitely not 15 flats.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:53 PM
mad boxer

Old 04-19-2003, 03:53 PM

isnt driving the max a fun experience everytime?
Old 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by mattattax

I've seen several run mid 14s stock. And a lot of non verts are in low 14s stock. They still aren't anything special but definitely not 15 flats.
the new automatic conv. GT stangs run very low 15's and high 14's. its the 5speeds that see times of around 13.9-14.3 but i am sure there are a few freak stangs out there that are running mid 14's with stock auto and conv.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima

the new automatic conv. GT stangs run very low 15's and high 14's. its the 5speeds that see times of around 13.9-14.3 but i am sure there are a few freak stangs out there that are running mid 14's with stock auto and conv.
actually there are quite a few from my experiences