5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Antifreze/Coolant ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Antifreze/Coolant ??

I have seen several posts about using Nissan Factory Antifreze/Coolant, due to fact it contains NO Silica (silicates?)... Right ? Alright then, I was observing on my shop shelf, I read on my normal use Antifreeze/Coolant Prestone 5/150 label as advertising 'No Silicates and No Phosphates' ...! And read on another un-used container of regular Prestone (before, the new & improved 5/150), no such verbage; So I guess it might contain those elements. With this in mind ... How does this 'Prestone 5/150' compare to 'Factory' Antifreeze/Coolant?? (opinions or) facts ??
And How often are most people changing it? I have not changed mine yet, coming up on 40K miles (2000 SE)... And will be changing it soon, And I live in North Central FLA. and it is already reaching mid 80s ...
Old 04-20-2003, 07:28 PM

Re: Antifreze/Coolant ??

Originally posted by optimus1
I have seen several posts about using Nissan Factory Antifreze/Coolant, due to fact it contains NO Silica (silicates?)... Right ? Alright then, I was observing on my shop shelf, I read on my normal use Antifreeze/Coolant Prestone 5/150 label as advertising 'No Silicates and No Phosphates' ...! And read on another un-used container of regular Prestone (before, the new & improved 5/150), no such verbage; So I guess it might contain those elements. With this in mind ... How does this 'Prestone 5/150' compare to 'Factory' Antifreeze/Coolant?? (opinions or) facts ??
And How often are most people changing it? I have not changed mine yet, coming up on 40K miles (2000 SE)... And will be changing it soon, And I live in North Central FLA. and it is already reaching mid 80s ...
Without search I can't give you the threads, but I remember people arguing about this topic. I think everyone has used just about every brand with OK results. I mean, using something other than Nissan brand is probably not going to cause any harm. Some dealers don't even use Nissan stuff.

I bet you can use the 5/150 (orange dex-cool) stuff without a problem, just make sure you do a complete flush and remove ALL of the old coolant. Mixing the two types will cancel all of the benefits of the long-life stuff.

Hope that helps a LITTLE.

ARFF
Old 04-20-2003, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Antifreze/Coolant ??

Originally posted by saxdogg

I bet you can use the 5/150 (orange dex-cool) stuff without a problem, just make sure you do a complete flush and remove ALL of the old coolant. Mixing the two types will cancel all of the benefits of the long-life stuff.
I agree its very important to flush (better double flush) the old stuff out before swicthing to orange.
The orange is good stuff uses a hi capacity buffer system based on organic weak acid/base buffer.

On a side note, with summer coming up.
Most factory fills are 50/50, because factory doesnt expect us to maintain our cars too well (more AF give more additives to last longer).

But 50/50 is actually a bit thick, for most applications especially in USA summers.

I run 70% distilled (MUST be distilled or deionized) water, 1 bottle redline water wetter rest antifreeze.

Best mix out there, with the greater heat capacity of the water, realy keeping heat spikes down.

Fred...