5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

help with leather front bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 PM

help with leather front bra

sup guys, is this leather bra hard to put on and take off?
is it true that you have to take it off every time it rains or the car gets wet?
i want to put this bra on, but is it worth it with the trouble?
any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Wat

Re: help with leather front bra

Bra isnt leather, its vinyl. No worry about stretching. You dont have to take it off after it rains or the car gets wet, I havent had any problems thus far (been usin one since brand spankin new). Might wanna take it off to wash though.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: help with leather front bra

Originally posted by E55AMG2
Bra isnt leather, its vinyl. No worry about stretching. You dont have to take it off after it rains or the car gets wet, I havent had any problems thus far (been usin one since brand spankin new). Might wanna take it off to wash though.
If you leave it on too long, you will experience paint fade and have discoloration between the bra area and the rest of the vehicle.

You NEED to take it off after it rains or gets wet... dirt will build up underneath and scratch the sh*t out of your paint... swirls, etc.

I use the top part of the nose mask (hood only) and take it off quite often for cleaning and during rain. Seems a bit much, but it isn't much harder than using a remote control for your TV/cable... !

R
Old 04-24-2003, 07:10 AM
BiggD23

Re: Re: Re: help with leather front bra

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE

If you leave it on too long, you will experience paint fade and have discoloration between the bra area and the rest of the vehicle.

You NEED to take it off after it rains or gets wet... dirt will build up underneath and scratch the sh*t out of your paint... swirls, etc.

R

Exactly. And yes, you are supposed to take it off everytime it rains to let it dry. To me these things make no sense, they are nothing but trouble and aggravation. They're supposed to protect the paint but often just lead to more damage than you would have had without it. (Faded and swirled paint, scratches, etc.) If I'm going to wind up having to paint the front again anyway because of the stupid thing, why not just leave it off and repaint the front once the chips get too bad? That way you save the cost of the bra and the aggravation of taking it on and off everytime it gets wet. If I was going to get anything it would probably be the clear 3M product. Just my .02

Old 04-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: help with leather front bra

Originally posted by BiggD23

Exactly. And yes, you are supposed to take it off everytime it rains to let it dry. To me these things make no sense, they are nothing but trouble and aggravation. They're supposed to protect the paint but often just lead to more damage than you would have had without it. (Faded and swirled paint, scratches, etc.) If I'm going to wind up having to paint the front again anyway because of the stupid thing, why not just leave it off and repaint the front once the chips get too bad? That way you save the cost of the bra and the aggravation of taking it on and off everytime it gets wet. If I was going to get anything it would probably be the clear 3M product. Just my .02
I agree with you about repainting eventually after the chips get too much to tolerate, but keep in mind that after repainting, (1) resale value of the car takes a hit, and (2) painted area may not blend in with the rest of the car, especially if you have a color with pearl in it. Just a few things to keep in mind.

As far as a bra, I don't bother because it's just a pain in the rear to keep taking it off and on when it rains. But, if you decide to put it on, make sure you at least wax the area that the bra will cover, so that it will protect the paint a little better.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:50 AM

i have the green maxima and my front bumper foged up and clouded.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:22 AM
KennyLau

Re: help with leather front bra

The bra is good for long trips, especially in the spring and fall when there are LOTS of insects. That's about the only time I ever use it. I just drove back from Las Vegas to San Francisco last weekend, and my bra was literally covered with bugs. It's a ***** to clean off, but I would much rather have the bra catch most of that crap than the car, grille, radiator, etc.

And, yes, clean the bra and don't leave it on all the time...unless you like your paint clouded and faded.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 PM

thanks very much

all the info and advice was very useful thanks.
the main reason why im getting the bra is to conceal the scratches and paint discoloration!
and also to prevent further damage to the bumper such as scratches and crap...
so i think i'll buy it and and if it gets too annoying im throwing it away.
but re-painting is just too much for me, even though i have my own garage at home, anytime i'm outside im bound to get a scratch from some stranger by accident or purpose...paint is too expensive anyway.
thanks people.