5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Destoryed a GTP tonite...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 02:55 AM

<B> Well, being that it's Saturday night in Vegas...

Well, I was coming up to a light and saw this dark coloured grand prix with the flamer reflective "pontiac" stickers on the rear lower fascia that so many of those silly Grand Prix owners have. This guy must have saw my blue HIDs and makes an attempt to take off... i'm in 2nd and give chase and catch up, but, took some time. I'm thinkin this Grand Prix is pretty quick. He get's suck behind some car in the middle lane at a stop light while i pull to the left of him with a car in front of me. I see the badging on the side of it being a GTP....interesting.

At the light, i take off and pull in front of the car that was in front of him and i approach 60mph (45mph zone). I see him get around the slow car and kinda follow me. He gets closer and i slow down to 45mph and punch it in second and shift to third and shut it down at 65mph, trying to let him know my intentions. He doesn't push it, but he isn't idle either, he just is cruising and trying to mind his own business (or afraid?). So, i let him catch up and punch it again. Nothing. So, i get to the next light and he pulls up, slowly.

The light is about to turn green and i see him inching up. So i rev it a bit. Green. I punch it, and enjoy the tire spin while i SEE his tires spin. i lift a bit and get back into it and pull. He's still trying and continues to push his weakling GTP. During this time, i'm telling the girl i have in my car about the 3.8L Supercharged v6 that the GTP has (plus he was in a two-door GTP) and saying it's suppose to be a good match. But, i ended up pulling on him... and pulling hard. I think he quit at 60mph knowing he got punked by a smaller displacement and naturally aspirated sedan.

Poor saps. GTPs have lost my respect. But, least that can be modified relatively cheap.

My mods: Stillen Y-pipe and cheapo muffler. 18" rims.
His Mods: probably stock, but he has a 3.8L SC motor! He should be able to eat me up!

eh...
Old 01-21-2001, 06:05 AM
beater max 2000

what type of receiver did you put in your car. did you upgrade with an aftermarket or did you just add the subs to the trunk. reply to wjeske@txucom.net

Old 01-21-2001, 06:05 AM

GTP's have my respect. Ive raced 1 or 2 when I was stock and it was very close.
Old 01-21-2001, 07:50 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

GTPs have my respect. I raced with a bunch of GTPs during thier annual Grand Prix meet held at KCIR raceway. There were a few stock GTPs running. They were in the 15.2-15.4 range at 89-90mph. Then there were the modified GTPs with smaller pullies, intake, and exhaust work running anywhere between 14.8 in the lower 90s down to 13.6 in the 100mph range depending on mods and tires. If you've got little respect for the GTP, you are a prime canidite for a modded GTP beating. They aren't extremely fast from a highway roll, but from 0-60mph you really don't stand a chance. They are extremely quick even when they are spinning thier tires. Many of these modded GTPs are putting down 230 fwhp and 290 fwtq with $500 in mods. Remember that.

Dave
Old 01-22-2001, 12:06 AM
dot dot dot ...

OuCh!!!!!!!!that is an a** load of torque!!! 290!!!!! Geeeezz!!! I've never raced 1.....but when I get my Y-pipe......I will.....only stock ones though
Old 01-22-2001, 11:28 AM

GTP.O.S.

I have decided the GTP is the arch-nemesis of the Maxima. I've raced 2 of them and come out ahead both times...but barely. I'd sure like to see how it came out if we had SC'ers. heh heh heh
Old 01-22-2001, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
<B> Well, being that it's Saturday night in Vegas...

Well, I was coming up to a light and saw this dark coloured grand prix with the flamer reflective "pontiac" stickers on the rear lower fascia that so many of those silly Grand Prix owners have. This guy must have saw my blue HIDs and makes an attempt to take off... i'm in 2nd and give chase and catch up, but, took some time. I'm thinkin this Grand Prix is pretty quick. He get's suck behind some car in the middle lane at a stop light while i pull to the left of him with a car in front of me. I see the badging on the side of it being a GTP....interesting.

At the light, i take off and pull in front of the car that was in front of him and i approach 60mph (45mph zone). I see him get around the slow car and kinda follow me. He gets closer and i slow down to 45mph and punch it in second and shift to third and shut it down at 65mph, trying to let him know my intentions. He doesn't push it, but he isn't idle either, he just is cruising and trying to mind his own business (or afraid?). So, i let him catch up and punch it again. Nothing. So, i get to the next light and he pulls up, slowly.

The light is about to turn green and i see him inching up. So i rev it a bit. Green. I punch it, and enjoy the tire spin while i SEE his tires spin. i lift a bit and get back into it and pull. He's still trying and continues to push his weakling GTP. During this time, i'm telling the girl i have in my car about the 3.8L Supercharged v6 that the GTP has (plus he was in a two-door GTP) and saying it's suppose to be a good match. But, i ended up pulling on him... and pulling hard. I think he quit at 60mph knowing he got punked by a smaller displacement and naturally aspirated sedan.

Poor saps. GTPs have lost my respect. But, least that can be modified relatively cheap.

My mods: Stillen Y-pipe and cheapo muffler. 18" rims.
His Mods: probably stock, but he has a 3.8L SC motor! He should be able to eat me up!
Nice kick butt story!!!!! I have a question for you. I see you have an aftermarket muffler on your Max. What kind is it and how much was it???? Im in the market for a performance muffler that is not overly loud. Id like some exhaust noise but not too much. Any thoughts??????
eh...