5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 Maxima vs GTP Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 09:34 AM
kra
Newbie - Just Registered

02 Maxima vs GTP Comparison

I have been driving a GTP for the last 3 years. I just picked up my 02 6spd Max the other day. Here are my impresssions of both.

First, the Max is light years ahead of the GTP in build quality, refinement and rigidity. It tracks straight and true. When driving the GTP, you had to pay close attention to the road as it would tend to drift.

The 6spd is very smooth. I do not find it notchy or rubbery at all. The clutch is not too heavy or too light. Gear ratios are well placed. The car has enough torque to pull even when lugged in the wrong gear.

Likes and dislikes

1. The Max just oozes quality.

2. Rides quality is fabulous compared with the GTP.

3. I miss the exhaust note of the GTP. It was almost sinister is sound. The Max is just too quiet. You can barely hear anything from the engine or exhaust.

4. I prefered the back of the GTP over the Max. Dual Exhausts make a car look more aggressive.

5. I miss the gauges and illumination of all controls of the GTP. The Max needs more legible gauges and lights for steering wheel controls.

6. The Bose in Max is better than the Bose in the GTP. But the annoying buzz from the parcel shelf needs to be fixed. The head unit in the GTP was better in that it had controls for all the functions on seperate buttons versus the one button does multiple things on the Max head unit.

7. Handling is better in the Max, but the turning radius is way better in the GTP.

I won't go into acceleration because I haven't had the chance to let loose with the Max yet. I suspect that the GTP had more punch off the line, but the Max has a much broader power band.

Bottom line, I am really impressed by the Max. Sure it does not have some things I like about the GTP, but it is more fun to drive and justs feels like a different class of car.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Max has NAV.. end of story
Old 12-21-2001, 09:36 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Okay this NAV stuff is getting out of hand now. hehe
Old 12-21-2001, 09:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Nice unbiased comparison.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Nice unbiased comparison.
True.

Well put kra, now im just wating for the GTP boys to come on down.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Synki

True.

Well put kra, now im just wating for the GTP boys to come on down.
I can see someone reading this going......

Now where's some popcorn

(It may or may not turn into a "There's this one GTP that ran a 13.96 STOCK!!!!") We shall see.

Although I did drive an SE which has the same chassis, and yeah the max is more refined..... by a long shot. Although I had more fun in the pontiac....... It was a rental....... Neutral drop...... Emergency brake......(yes I know it's the pedal type but if you time it right it's easy to play around with).
Old 12-21-2001, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Old 12-21-2001, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
There's not enough badgering and slander in this post for it turn into anything fun. I'm not willing to slander either. It is fun to see some. Quick someone start quoting magazine times!!!!!!!

Waiting....
Old 12-21-2001, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I knew this was coming once I seen him ask for popcorn.

SuDZ
Old 12-21-2001, 02:46 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

nice write up man, and i'm sure you will find the max is a couple ticks faster.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:48 PM
kra
Newbie - Just Registered

Oops, I forgot to mention torque steer. The GTP was a bear to control when the SC kicked in. I almost crashed a couple of times when I stomped on the throttle while doing manuevers. I haven't noticed any torque steer yet with the Max, but, I haven't explored the redline yet either.

One thing I have a question about. Why is it that a lot of people think that HLSD or any LSD would help torque steer? As far as I know, torque steer refers to the tendency of the front wheels driven under heavy acceleration(read torque) to try and return to a straight path. In other words, the wheels want to rotate at the same speed. The only way LSD would come into play is if one of the wheels actually loses traction altogether. However if that happens with a non-LSD car, it would actually reduce torque steer somewhat since only one wheel would have traction. I know I must be wrong on this.
Old 12-21-2001, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Okay this NAV stuff is getting out of hand now. hehe
I've got NAV on my 2k1: It called A MAP!
Old 12-21-2001, 07:39 PM

However if that happens with a non-LSD car, it would actually reduce torque steer somewhat since only one wheel would have traction. I know I must be wrong on this.
In an open diff, the wheel with traction just sits there and doesn't spin. The wheel with minimal traction, is spinning huge, and almost 100% of the torque is now on that one side. Even though there may be not enough traction for forward momentum, there may be sufficient traction to turn the steering wheel. Once that wheel "catches" and the tire bites, torque is tranferred back to the non spinning wheel, jarring the steering wheel to the other side, and this cycle may go on for a few times before settling down, causing torque steer.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
nice write up man, and i'm sure you will find the max is a couple ticks faster.
Especially if ya get a few mods in it.

SuDZ
Old 12-22-2001, 09:46 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SuDZ

Especially if ya get a few mods in it.

SuDZ
ya i can't wait for a different intake to come out. ill tough it through the winter with a stock box. i don't want a cone intake.