5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rim and Wheel Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:18 AM

Rim and Wheel Advice

I'm thinking of replacing my 2k 16 stock GLE rims and tires with new 17" or 18" package. I'm looking for advice as the most cost efficient way to get them from start to finish.

Option 1: Order package online from tirerack.com. Correct me if I'm wrong, it comes mounted and balanced so I can basically take off old rims and tire and just replace with new packaged one. Afterwards bring them to a place to get alignment

Option 2: Order rims online and goto local tire shop like Costco and have them install. But since Costco does not do alignment I still have to find a place that does alignment.

Option 3: Get packages from places such as Discount Tires Co. or any other local places and buy everything and have everything done there.
Since I live in SoCal there are plenty of local one places around here by El Monte/Valley, however some places seem shady .

One last thing as long as I buy the correct bolt pattern, I could get any rim width I want correct? I'm open for any other suggestions and advice. .
Old 04-28-2003, 10:26 AM

Re: Rim and Wheel Advice

Originally posted by Max2K
I'm thinking of replacing my 2k 16 stock GLE rims and tires with new 17" or 18" package. I'm looking for advice as the most cost efficient way to get them from start to finish.

Option 1: Order package online from tirerack.com. Correct me if I'm wrong, it comes mounted and balanced so I can basically take off old rims and tire and just replace with new packaged one. Afterwards bring them to a place to get alignment

Option 2: Order rims online and goto local tire shop like Costco and have them install. But since Costco does not do alignment I still have to find a place that does alignment.

Option 3: Get packages from places such as Discount Tires Co. or any other local places and buy everything and have everything done there.
Since I live in SoCal there are plenty of local one places around here by El Monte/Valley, however some places seem shady .

One last thing as long as I buy the correct bolt pattern, I could get any rim width I want correct? I'm open for any other suggestions and advice. .

Here's my past experience:

Option 1: They tell you what will fit your car. They mount & balance and provide any other mounting hardware (lugs, spacer rings) that are needed. Price is pretty decent and delivery generally fast and stuff arrives in good condition.

Option 2: Good prices on tires. Limited selection. They scratched up 2 of my rims. Depends on whose is working behind the counter.

Option 3: Local places (especially here in NY) want waaaayyy too much money. Installation generally pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:47 AM

Re: Re: Rim and Wheel Advice

i dont think y ou'll have a problem with with the width of any tire... maybe if u go as wide as like 9" or something... you may have some rubbing, in which case you can just roll your fenders in.... i THINK.... but i'm not positive... i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong...
Old 04-28-2003, 10:55 AM
NT2SHBBY

u don't need an alignment with new wheels....only balancing.

as for wheel recommendations, I'd buy an upgraded OEM wheel, thats just me. I like the fact that they don't bend as easily as an aftermarket, especially here in NYC

Old 04-28-2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
as for wheel recommendations, I'd buy an upgraded OEM wheel, thats just me. I like the fact that they don't bend as easily as an aftermarket, especially here in NYC
I totally agree! Nailed a HUGE pothole with the stock front 17" wheel over the weekend and not a problem. I also like the fact that aftermarket wheels attract attention and that's not good in my bood for a driver. Personally would like the 2k2/2k3 wheels for her 2k by I am too CHEAP!

Travis
Old 04-28-2003, 11:37 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by HerBlue2kSE

I totally agree! Nailed a HUGE pothole with the stock front 17" wheel over the weekend and not a problem. I also like the fact that aftermarket wheels attract attention and that's not good in my bood for a driver. Personally would like the 2k2/2k3 wheels for her 2k by I am too CHEAP!

Travis
The 2k2 wheels should go for cheap on ebay now, considering everyone wants the 18" 04 rims...

check on there..I bought 2k2 wheels for my 02 altima with tires BRAND NEW for $799 6 months ago on ebay

Old 04-30-2003, 05:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
[B]u don't need an alignment with new wheels....only balancing.

I thought it was always required whenever u get a new set of tires , wouldn't it be especially necessary if a get a new set of rims too ? If it's not necessary I think tirerack would be my best bet then, thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:36 PM

As long as your alignment isn't meesed up now, there is no need to re-align the car after you put on new wheels. I would recomend the Tire Rack as well for tire/wheel packages. They have been in the biz for a while now and their shipping quality is first rate. THe hard part is trying to pick out what wheels you want. So many fit the Max. Good luck.