5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about brakes??? pretty long...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 05:43 PM

Question about brakes??? pretty long...

I just took my car in for the service to get my warped rotors fixed.
Well dealer told me that my front brake pads a pretty worn and he said that Nissan won't cover the pads. He said they will cover the resurfacing of the rotors after I argued with him for about 30 minutes

I don't understand how can the pads worn out that fast. I noticed that the rotors were warped at about 15K miles on my car.

Could that be that warped rotors wore out the brake pads more quickly as well?
I am really ****ed because the exact same thing happend on my previous car, 2000 SE and this same dealer replaced everything for free. Now the guy that I knew there left and people there don't want to do this under warranty.

Could the worn pads cause this sever vibration when braking on the highway? I don't think they could, but I am not sure. I thought the vibration when braking was because of the warped rotors not the pads.

I am thinking to try another dealer service and see if I can get the brakes fixed under warranty. If I can't, I was thinking of letting that dealer resurface my rotors and I can install brake pads myself with the help of a friend.

What is a good choice for the brake pads for 2002 SE? I know I can go OEM, but I was thinking of getting something different maybe.

Sorry for a long post, just kinda upset of this brakes problem.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:34 PM

If/When this happens to my maxima i am just gonna upgrade to powerslot rotors and hawk ferro carbon pads i would like the $tillin big brake kit but i dant have that kind of money (broke high school student) but if i were you and i had 400 bucks for new powerslots i would just screw oem rotors that are prone to warping
WHEELMAN
Old 04-28-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by WHEELMAN_03_SE
If/When this happens to my maxima i am just gonna upgrade to powerslot rotors and hawk ferro carbon pads i would like the $tillin big brake kit but i dant have that kind of money (broke high school student) but if i were you and i had 400 bucks for new powerslots i would just screw oem rotors that are prone to warping
WHEELMAN
Yeah, I am not sure if I want to spend money on new rotors though.
I finaly talked dealer into resurfacing rotors under warranty for me.
Funny thing though, this is the same dealer that replaced all four rotors and pads for me on my 2000 SE. They guy that did it though, doesn't work there anymore.

I was thinking of getting either OEM pads or some aftermark ones that will fit there. I think OEM pads go for like $50 each and I was planning to install them myself to save on crazy dealer rates.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Dany

Yeah, I am not sure if I want to spend money on new rotors though.
I finaly talked dealer into resurfacing rotors under warranty for me.
Funny thing though, this is the same dealer that replaced all four rotors and pads for me on my 2000 SE. They guy that did it though, doesn't work there anymore.

I was thinking of getting either OEM pads or some aftermark ones that will fit there. I think OEM pads go for like $50 each and I was planning to install them myself to save on crazy dealer rates.
I'd recommend to go with Raybestos Quiet Stop / Porterfield R4S, it should take care of your judder problem. Resurfacing/replacing rotors leaving pads in place will only temporary solve the problem. I'd just replace pads and wouldn't cut rotors at all. The reason for judder is not rotor geometry but surface buildup from the stock pads.

my 2c.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Max_5gen

I'd recommend to go with Raybestos Quiet Stop / Porterfield R4S, it should take care of your judder problem. Resurfacing/replacing rotors leaving pads in place will only temporary solve the problem. I'd just replace pads and wouldn't cut rotors at all. The reason for judder is not rotor geometry but surface buildup from the stock pads.

my 2c.
Hey thanks. Is there a good place to get those Raybestos Quiet Stop / Porterfield R4S brake pads?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:53 AM

I did over 40K miles on my fronts and still had tons left. Though I don't regret getting Hawks. Should have done it sooner!
Old 05-04-2003, 01:23 PM

Hey thanks. Is there a good place to get those Raybestos Quiet Stop / Porterfield R4S brake pads?

Thanks.
I've bought R4S directly from Porterfield themself mentioning this deal:

Originally posted by TurDz

R4S Fronts AP430 ($89.00 Retail) - MaximaDriver.com Price@ $69.00

R4S Rears AP540 ($69.00 Retail) - MaximaDriver.com Price @ $49.00

Both AP430 & AP540 R4S pads ($158.00 Retail) - MaximaDriver.com Price @ $118.00

---

The above discount has been a maximadriver.com/maxima.org group deal for a few years now. As for the brakes themselves, I've very please with their performance. Though I don't feel the biggest difference on the streets (below 30mph) I can definately feel the BITE from high speeds such as 80 to 40 or 60 to 20. And the great thing is, just as everyone mentioned, they're make of a carbon/kelvar composite (rotor friendly).
This is from the thread:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...R4S+group+deal

They do dust, probably slightly more than stock; they don't fade; they're not noisy; they provide very good grip. If you're in Canada, ask to send them as "warranty replacement", otherwise UPS brokerage fee will kill the deal.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Max_5gen

I've bought R4S directly from Porterfield themself mentioning this deal:

This is from the thread:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...R4S+group+deal

They do dust, probably slightly more than stock; they don't fade; they're not noisy; they provide very good grip. If you're in Canada, ask to send them as "warranty replacement", otherwise UPS brokerage fee will kill the deal.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the info.

You mentioned Raybestos Quiet Stop / Porterfield R4S brake pads. Are those two different brake pads?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info.

You mentioned Raybestos Quiet Stop / Porterfield R4S brake pads. Are those two different brake pads?
Yes, they are, even different manufactures. I don't have personal experience with Quiet Stops, though. My recommendation was based mostly on postings of other people here. They both seem to work well with stock rotors.