5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

got ****ed by a rx7

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So you're saying that they can make a reliable RX7 twin turbo just by puttin in decent cooling and watching the a/f?? If that was the case, wouldn't the aftermarket have figured it out? I really don't think it's misunderstood, the RX7 was a time bomb, as someone mentioned. vey finicky motor. Oil consumption was unacceptable. Fantastically Gorgeous car, fast as hell. Mazda knows suspensions. Most of their lineup handle very well. Protege MP3, Miata, RX8, the 6. But damn, the RX7 just could not hold up in terms of reliability.

And the RX-8, I agree, just like the S2000. But, if the RX-8 redeems the rotary in terms of reliability with this new renesis motor, then Mazda may bring back the Rx-7 Turbo. That would be ONE HELL OF A renaissance for the rotary.

DW

Originally posted by MiniRX7
RX7's are the most misunderstood cars ever...

The rotary engines are not as bad as you think in terms of reliability.. The biggest issue is indeed heat.. Have you ever seen the stock cooling system on the 13B? Rediculous.. not only is the it slanted 45 degrees, there is no cool air going through it at all..

The biggest problems is when people start upgrading the 13B motor without using their heads.. These motors respond differently to the regular mods such as intakes and even exhausts. The problem is that these engines are very prone to blowing if the air/fuel mixutres are not properly monitored ...

BTW... Adam K used STOCK apex seals in his 9 sec RX7's. Mazda had a lot of ***** bringing out the rotary motors to the general public.. Unfortunately a lot fo the public never really understood how to care for an RX7. In the proper hands this car will continue to put smiles on peoples faces. I still wish i could get my hands on a COSMOS w/20B motor.. freakin CRAZY... Triple rotor..

BTW.. teh new RX8 is a freakin JOKE.. sad *** torque curvy and peaking hp makes the new renesis motor similar to the S2K... I want the RX7 back.. I want the turbo rotary..

ED
Old 05-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The aftermarket is all about hype... The biggest thing about tuning a rotary is tuning properly ... Most of these cars that are blowing their motors is because there are alot of those who believe installing an intake and exhaust yields more hp..

True in most Piston type engines... as conventional motors can handle lean/rich fuel mixtures alot better than the sensitive rotary motors.

IN an RX7/Cosmos or any rotary motor, a deviation in the fuel air mixture such as even adding an intake or exhaust system or playing with the boost without proper fuel system modifications is like setting up a time bomb..

And for those RX7's that are stock and still blowing motors.. Lets just say this.. If you run your motor hard, you need to maintain it just as much.. THe RX7 does require a little more TLC than any vehicle but i am talking about routine maintenance... Especially the cooling system.. Majority of the people that drive normal cars do neglect their cooling system but most piston based engines are not prone to popping if it runs a little hot. The ROtary runs exteremly hot, and without proper attention, then things start to go seriously BAD!

ED
WHERE IS MY SIG?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:38 PM
mad boxer

does anyone have access to carfax for free , if so can u plz get me a full copy of the report this is the vin

JM1FD3316P0207734

thanx ,i'd really appreciate it

Old 05-05-2003, 01:40 PM
mad boxer

bumpwooz

Old 05-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mad boxer
bumpwooz

Shift_To RX& forums